Legendary taming skill

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
erictks1
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Hydraxis

Legendary taming skill

Unread post by erictks1 »

Personally I love the direhorn concept. Might wish to further extend it. Do remember Orc use demon chain to control dragon, perhaps hunter can go through a long legendary quest to obtain it too. Atleast we can chain a proto drake.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Legendary taming skill

Unread post by Lisaara »

Considering dragons are sentient creatures, that's likely never going to happen, nor would I want it to happen. I like my dragons untamed by bad hunters.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

I'd have to agree about the dragon taming, Blizzard have been pretty standard about us not being able to tame them. Though the idea of the direhorn concept making a comeback or extending it further, I think would be a great idea. I'm not 100% sure in what way or for which pet family etc, but it was a really neat concept :)

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I'm gonna move this to the pets forum, since it's not really WoD, just an interesting idea :)

I agree, I'd love to see more scenarios like the direhorns, where you have to earn something specific in order to learn how to tame a type of beast.

I wouldn't agree with dragons as, as others said, they're pretty much people. I actually wish they'd used this concept in Cataclysm where we could have learned how to tame Basilisks and Shale Spiders only after becoming friendly with the Earthen in Deepholm. It would have been a fun twist.

The same concept could be applied to some of the other more elemental beasts, like fire hawks, gyreworm or hell hounds, if they ever changed their minds on those. Some sort of cool, epic hunter quest, even if it was just a short chain, to allow that would be wonderful.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Wain wrote:I actually wish they'd used this concept in Cataclysm where we could have learned how to tame Basilisks and Shale Spiders only after becoming friendly with the Earthen in Deepholm. It would have been a fun twist.

The same concept could be applied to some of the other more elemental beasts, like fire hawks, gyreworm or hell hounds, if they ever changed their minds on those. Some sort of cool, epic hunter quest, even if it was just a short chain, to allow that would be wonderful.
OMG THIS!!!!!!

That would be such a great idea! Just make the "Tomb of Hellhoundmancy" or "Tomb of Gyremancy" or whatever on the faction/rep vendor for those areas? They already have the tech for it now from the Direhorns, oh my MAKE IT SO! :D

­
­
­
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Yesss...that would be amazesauce! All my yes! Wain, you're a genius. Why aren't you working for Blizzard? XD

LisaaraPokefarm

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

Wain wrote:I'm gonna move this to the pets forum, since it's not really WoD, just an interesting idea :)

I agree, I'd love to see more scenarios like the direhorns, where you have to earn something specific in order to learn how to tame a type of beast.

I wouldn't agree with dragons as, as others said, they're pretty much people. I actually wish they'd used this concept in Cataclysm where we could have learned how to tame Basilisks and Shale Spiders only after becoming friendly with the Earthen in Deepholm. It would have been a fun twist.

I agree completely. I really liked the idea of learning to tame the Direhorns. My only complaint is that it was too easy to get and kind of a disappointment after the buildup for it. A series of quests would have been much better. The rep tie in would also be nice.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

A rep tie. Hands down. I have wanted a hell hound since they first came out!!! Especially since I'm such a huge demon dog fanatic.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Sadly the best time for quests linked to elemental beasts would have been Cataclysm, since it was all about that. :( But I imagine therell be other opportunities.

The other one that occurs to me is if we'd had kunchong taming linked to Klaxxi rep, or even after the chain where you help raise Kovok. Ah well :/
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Wain wrote:Sadly the best time for quests linked to elemental beasts would have been Cataclysm, since it was all about that. :( But I imagine therell be other opportunities.

The other one that occurs to me is if we'd had kunchong taming linked to Klaxxi rep, or even after the chain where you help raise Kovok. Ah well :/
Or even a recovered tome that you could dig up via archaeology? There are so many ways to possibly integrate these "Tomes of Taming" in clever ways, but again I guess they all take development time, even if some of it might seem quite minor. :|

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

That would work for some! Much as even the thought of archaeology now brings me nightmares.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I would dig up *all the things* if I got to tame a Kovok!
erictks1
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Hydraxis

Unread post by erictks1 »

A tomb that teach us method to gear up our pet , will be equally cool
Lazurianis
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer: Alliance

Unread post by Lazurianis »

erictks wrote:Personally I love the direhorn concept. Might wish to further extend it. Do remember Orc use demon chain to control dragon, perhaps hunter can go through a long legendary quest to obtain it too. Atleast we can chain a proto drake.
I like the idea of a Legendary Taming Skill, however, I don't like the concept of taming dragons, quite frankly it's extremely cliche in most MMORPGs with a Hunter-based class. First of all - often times, dragons are extremely intelligent meaning taming one would never work, as they have a free-will and a conscious. Second - from a lore standpoint, it wouldn't make sense. Third - We ride dragon or dragon-like mounts. It would be strange honestly.

“Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat.”
― R. Adm. Jay Stark
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

This would be sooo cool. and to those saying the chance to tame element pets has passed, may I remind you that outlands today is filled with all sorts of nasty, flamey fel style elements that could have created beasts in the past that would bow to an exception such as this. (i'm especially looking at you, TK/MGT phoenix!) so who knows what things will look like in outland's past? we have also seen Blizz revisit old zones and make new skins/models/families available so we cant rule that out either.
personally I would like to see more dinos unlock and possibly some snakes as well. I would love to do a quest line/rep chain that unlocks elemental beasts and I think that an archeology find would be a great fit for creatures tied to dead/hostile races or ancient species. (although if its not class specific I think it should be bou/boa so if its really rare, non-hunters don't have to waist their time on it for nothing.)

as far as the dragon things goes I think its obvious we wont ever get dragons from the various aspect flights but maybe someday we will see the more beast-like dragoniods pop up under a requirement such as this. (I think the fae dragon,proto drake and cloud serpents are all beastlike enough that at the very least an offshoot from that family could one day be considered- but I wont get my hopes up for it and wouldn't be heartbroken if it never happens.)

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

SylviaDragon wrote:as far as the dragon things goes I think its obvious we wont ever get dragons from the various aspect flights but maybe someday we will see the more beast-like dragoniods pop up under a requirement such as this. (I think the fae dragon,proto drake and cloud serpents are all beastlike enough that at the very least an offshoot from that family could one day be considered- but I wont get my hopes up for it and wouldn't be heartbroken if it never happens.)
Nay to the Fae, I say. If you remember from the Hyjal quests, they speak just like you and me, helping you find the Twilight Cultists after you feed them a berry to earn their trust. So they'd fall on the intellectual side.

The Cloud Serpents are also extremely intelligent. They may not talk, but the Pandaren mention their intelligence too and we see those that live long enough to become Heavenly Cloud Serpents are able to speak(typically).

So I don't think either of those would work.

Proto Drake....maybe....that'd a bit iffy though cause they're the ancestors of the drakes we ride today. We don't know a whole lot about them other than that. x3

But yeah, just thought I'd pipe up about that. I'm a dragon defender, what can I say? Lol!

LisaaraPokefarm

manbear
Realm: Laughing Skull

Unread post by manbear »

Wain wrote:Sadly the best time for quests linked to elemental beasts would have been Cataclysm, since it was all about that.
Let's not forget that Draenor was extremely shamanistic prior to the burning legion's influence. The chance of getting a hell hound is practically zero, but there is still a relatively good chance of seeing some tameable elemental beasts.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

manbear wrote:
Wain wrote:Sadly the best time for quests linked to elemental beasts would have been Cataclysm, since it was all about that.
Let's not forget that Draenor was extremely shamanistic prior to the burning legion's influence. The chance of getting a hell hound is practically zero, but there is still a relatively good chance of seeing some tameable elemental beasts.
That is true! :) I'd love to see that.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

I like the direhorn method, where you have to earn the ability to tame a type of pet, but I think it should be more interesting than just farming. More like if you had to get a certain rating in BG or Arena, then you'd unlock the ability to tame new models/skins/family of a pet that's decent for pvp (having to tame it *during* a bg or arena would be even funner.)

Or for pve, something along the lines of getting an hour long "kochong tameable" buff, if you got the buff from Kaz'tik the Manipulator in Heroic SoO.
Sabrewolf

Unread post by Sabrewolf »

Junrei wrote:Considering dragons are sentient creatures, that's likely never going to happen, nor would I want it to happen. I like my dragons untamed by bad hunters.
As far as that goes blizzard has for the most part ignored this concept when it has come to taming/catching dragons in the game. Hell we can even train them to be our mounts. Blizzard has given up on most of the RPG aspects like this and focused more on what people want in the game. So i don't see this taming dragon concept to farfetched at all.