Potential new hunter pets in WoD

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Re: Potential new hunter pets in WoD

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

pop wrote:If the new Chimera's are tamable and have flying animation when it 'dashes' and walking animation when it walks or idle, I would be so happy...
Yes, at the very least whenever they aren't moving. It drives me *crazy* when I'm standing there with the wing constantly clipping through my body. I use the move command on my Chimaera more than all my other pets put together :)
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Well, first of all.. if we can't tame the new Chimeras/Chimaeras, that'd be pretty lame. Actually, for any currently existing family to not get an upgraded model version would be lame. That goes for the new bat models for the bat family, chimera/chimaera for the their family, and so on. (this includes Kunchong, but my hope for those is waning more and more so.)

Anyway, I'd be seriously surprised if the new Chimera/Chimaera doesn't become tameable, because they've said they're compensating for the fact that we have only 3 new families by giving us a lot of models for older families.

And I think something better, something we should have for all pets that could alternate between land and flying animations would be an aesthetic toggle, akin to 'Trick'. It doesn't give you extra damage, but you can alternate between flying animations and ground animations. This would be good for the Chimera/Chimaera, Kunchong, Pterodactyls, Dread Raven and more, providing that those will become tameable. It's a small task, and it would fix a lot of things. I'm also sure hunters would be quite happy to be able to choose between the two.

As for the Worg/Wolf model.. it looks good to me, still. I'll still get one. From some angles, it looks .. not so good, but that's the thing with many models in WoW for me, and not really a dealbreaker. The head does look big, but not -too- big. All-in-all, I'm pretty satisfied with the model, and I think it's a lot better than any Wolf model we've had before.. from the blocky old coyotes and worgs to the emaciated Northrend saberworgs.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Slickrock »

On the plus side, look at the differences in the poly counts on the new models compared to the old...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (877.67 KiB) Viewed 855 times
Account has been closed at user's request.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

SpiritBinder wrote:Sup ladies, just going for a walk... :D

I will put this in my signature rotation. Some way. Some how. Its gonna happen. Along with my beloved Artichoke!

Edit:

The model comparisons almost make me curious if they're completely replacing some of the old models. I'll be pissed if Evalcharr turns bat like and emaciated.
Last edited by zedxrgal on Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

I am soooo in love with the chimera right now. I'm a little skeptical about just how skinny he is but since he is a flying creature I think I could let it pass. But I just saw his waking animation and totally flipped out fan girl style. I have been talking about how much I wanted a bat-like walking animation for many of the creatures stuck in perpetual flight. Bats on the ground are like an eerie, graceful nightmare and I'm glad to see that chimeras not only know how to land, but can now stalk their enemies on foot. I also like the attack animations.
And I think something better, something we should have for all pets that could alternate between land and flying animations would be an aesthetic toggle, akin to 'Trick'. It doesn't give you extra damage, but you can alternate between flying animations and ground animations. This would be good for the Chimera/Chimaera, Kunchong, Pterodactyls, Dread Raven and more, providing that those will become tameable. It's a small task, and it would fix a lot of things. I'm also sure hunters would be quite happy to be able to choose between the two.
I wont hold my breath for something that nice but I would really love that kind of option. good for rp, good for maintaining control of big winged pets but also allowing them a way to still take to the sky. Skyscreamers have the perfect walking animation for a lot of the bird models but adding it would probably be a pain in the neck. I hope bets get ground animations at least. I don't like them that much but I would tame one just for the walking animations alone if I could.

pawprintedheart
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Stormrage, WrA

Unread post by pawprintedheart »

Qraljar wrote:Anyway, I'd be seriously surprised if the new Chimera/Chimaera doesn't become tameable, because they've said they're compensating for the fact that we have only 3 new families by giving us a lot of models for older families.

As for the Worg/Wolf model.. it looks good to me, still. I'll still get one. From some angles, it looks .. not so good, but that's the thing with many models in WoW for me, and not really a dealbreaker. The head does look big, but not -too- big. All-in-all, I'm pretty satisfied with the model, and I think it's a lot better than any Wolf model we've had before.. from the blocky old coyotes and worgs to the emaciated Northrend saberworgs.
Yes, yes, yes!!! I'd be stunned if the new chimeras weren't tameable (and devastated). But OHHHHH how I'd LOVE a toggle like that. That would make screenshots just awesome for the flying pets like that. I am so, so, so in love with the new chimeras but that toggle would make them bloody perfect. :shock:

I agree with you on the wolf model too. The head looks a bit big from some angles, some angles it looks fine. I wonder how much tweaking it'll see anyway before it actually comes live with the new expac. -shrugs- I'm still taming one even if it stayed as is. It's a huge improvement over the other ones.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Qraljar wrote: And I think something better, something we should have for all pets that could alternate between land and flying animations would be an aesthetic toggle, akin to 'Trick'. It doesn't give you extra damage, but you can alternate between flying animations and ground animations. This would be good for the Chimera/Chimaera, Kunchong, Pterodactyls, Dread Raven and more, providing that those will become tameable. It's a small task, and it would fix a lot of things. I'm also sure hunters would be quite happy to be able to choose between the two.
This is something I've wanted for a long, long time. It would allow all the families you listed to become tameable, and add the possibility for more in the future.
For existing birds, I think transitioning to a "perch/sit" animation and then automatically flying again upon movement would be acceptable.
Whereas pterodactyls/chimeras/anything else would have two different modes of transport.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

A sitting / perching style idle animation would be wonderful for a lot of flying pets, and I remember it being a popular request.

Even for some non-flying pets. I remember in the MoP beta that some quilen would sit like a statue when at rest and it actually seemed pretty cool. Even if they did stuff like that after <x> seconds / minutes idle it would be great.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

SpiritBinder wrote:Image
It almost looks like he's about to do the ground scoot thing, like the pug. That may be a little too much realism ;)
azurelith
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Stormrage(alliance)/ Bronzebeard(horde)

Unread post by azurelith »

I want one of those new chimaeras. Although it looks a little ridiculous, I love their running animation. Even the idle standing animation is cute. It is nice to see them on the ground. I hope if they become tameable, they are able to land and not stuck constantly in the air. A toggleable land/ground button would be awesome.

I really do not like the new talbuks. Their legs are too muscular where they connect to the body and it looks ridiculous when they are running. The back legs are also messed up when running. The tail is way too stiff and does not look like hair to me(neither does the mane). I also think the horns and head are too thick. It just does not look graceful at all anymore. The face almost reminds me of a monkey.

I agree that the wolf's head is a bit too large but it looks awesome in motion. I will definitely tame one.

As for the boar, it looks really nice but I hope they modify it a bit. I like the skeleton it uses except that the back legs seem a bit too far apart. It looks very weird from the back. Also I loved the old boar run animation and hope that they use it for this model since the skeleton it is using does not really have a proper running animation.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Updated the list for Chimaeron being confirmed tameable in this tweet: https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/454798468788129792
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

The new wolf is very very nice indeed, I just wish it didn't have those two big fangs
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Forgive my asking but could some post a link to where I could see the running /moving animations for the new beasts? I cannot find any of it.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Below the beast picture on MMO champ, where it says "New Model" in white text, click that. Should bring up the new model + animations!

And also, phew- I'm lucky. I adore the new wolf models- and I ADORE the animations. Completely in love. The big neck thing, to me, just looks like extra fluff.

Not at all a fan of the new Boar animations, but as Wain pointed out- we saw how much a skeleton can change with the Quilen!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I had a snoop through all the spell data tonight and decided to add the following section to the end of the main post:

WHAT ELSE MIGHT WE EXPECT TO SEE?

The following are just guesses based on datamined items and spells. Many of them may have no bearing on what we see in the wild, but who knows? :)
  • There are new cooking recipes that require scorpion or basilisk meat, which suggests that these beasts should be present. Of course neither is very surprising and they could well use existing models. There are also miscellaneous spells in the database referencing worms and spiders, suggesting that these also will be present. Again, no idea of the model. A summoning spell for a Trained Bonestripper suggests vultures. Again, to be expected.
  • More interestingly, there's a bunch of spells referring to centipedes. Unless they're using the old sandreaver model it'll be interesting to see what they look like! It's possible they're just critters, too.
  • There's also a number of spells referring to "void wolves" and "void howlers", whatever those may be. Perhaps they'll look like ghost wolves. Since they're all referenced in summoning spells, there may be no wild versions anyway. In fact there are quite a few spells for summoning ghost wolves, so it'll be interesting to see if they've added fancy new ones based on the new model or are using the Vanilla ones.
  • Same goes for "cinder wolves" though the summoning spells for those are probably (guessing) the helhound model.
  • And then there's the dreaded and enigmatic Tigurtlefly...
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Also in the Dread Raven section added:
Spells like this and this suggest we might expect to encounter more of them (wild) on Draenor.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Wain wrote:There's a bunch of spells referring to centipedes.
Unless they're using the old sandreaver model it'll be interesting to see what they look like!
!! It would be fun if they ended up doing some curious amalgam of Northrend worms and sandreavers.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

I found more Chimera colors; no good shots though aside from these. And I don't know how to get the sandbox or anything to take pictures myself lol, so credit to this person... http://imgur.com/a/3Wdli

But there seems to be, in addition to the green, a light brown, a medium brown (used for the skyreaver) and a pretty red.

^ DO want

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

I was actually just thinking about this while getting ready for archery this morning. What other beasts are in Outland that we might see more of? What if we saw new wind serpents? There are plenty of those in Outland, and oh my gosh would I love to see a new model of those (I love the current ones but it'd still be super cool, and heck, there's nothing wrong with variety).

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Miacoda wrote:I was actually just thinking about this while getting ready for archery this morning. What other beasts are in Outland that we might see more of? What if we saw new wind serpents? There are plenty of those in Outland, and oh my gosh would I love to see a new model of those (I love the current ones but it'd still be super cool, and heck, there's nothing wrong with variety).

I would like to see..

New hydras, centipedes (as mentioned above. Those things are awesome), new spiders (tarantula-like), warp stalkers/lizards, nether rays, big shrimps/peacock mantis shrimps (SAVAGE SEA LIFE), and raptors.

And probably a lot more that I can't think about now.

Wain wrote:Also in the Dread Raven section added:
Spells like this and this suggest we might expect to encounter more of them (wild) on Draenor.
Hopefully tameable, eh? <elbow jab> Eh? :D
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!