Flying in WoD

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Freya
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Scarlet Crusade

Re: Flying in WoD

Unread post by Freya »

cowmuflage wrote:I don't mind waiting for flying! I'd rather get flying at max then at the start.
I agree! I may be one of the minority, but I enjoy exploring the world first by foot. ;)
Last edited by Freya on Fri May 16, 2014 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Freya Frostclaw - Beastmaster - Scarlet Crusade
-= Flight Rising =-

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

It's going to be a different experience, but you know, I might really enjoy it. I'll need to let go of my current ideas of how to play- but I think it could be a change I really enjoy. Make you feel a little more involved in the zone.

I'll be honest, I did the "fly in, kill red name, fly out" thing CONSTANTLY. As in almost every single quest.

(Also really looking forward to these "end game zones" that aren't just dailies.)

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Lisaara »

I've done it with quest mobs too. How the heck do you think I put up with HFP? XD

I too like exploring on foot at first. I also didn't mind not flying on IoT or TI. I actually liked that aspect of it. It felt for surreal, more exploring to be done. You wanna get up to that cliff? You actually used your noggin to figure out how to get up there.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

The problem is that blizzard is giving explanations for why they would ground everyone across the whole continent for the whole expansion, with the only caveat being that they want to wait and see how it plays out in beta testing. Sure, there might be some confirmation bias on my part, but them not wanting max level and patch content restricted to 'mysterious islands' and 'mountain top areas' sounds a whole lot like their preference is perma-grounding us. I have yet to see a blizzard employee show they understand the arguments for flying, instead summing it up as players wanting to skip quest content.
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

Danielfboone wrote:
Slickrock wrote: Oh come on, we do that all the time.

Fly over the rare horde/ally spawns in Karasang, dive-bomb in when one spawns, kill it, and fly away. Or any other Panderia rare. All rare camping is fly over, dive bomb, kill and fly away.
On rares yes, he was saying it like you'd do it for a quest mob which I have never seen. Rares aren't usually inside gates.

I always fly over extra mobs to get to the objective, because there's always a billion mobs running around aggroing EVERYTHING. If they reduce the mob-count, and make it more quest/adventure oriented than objective oriented, I think no-flying will be fine until 100.

Edit: I think perhaps increasing the speed of ground mounts may make this change bode altogether better. I don't hate not flying over things, I hate how slow I move on the ground.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Frostwolf, Blackwater Raiders

Unread post by Aeladrine »

I'm going to restate what I said earlier, because a lot of people seem to be ignoring one important part: There has not been a decision made about whether or not this flight restriction will be permanent, and they do not plan to make such a decision until they get a lot of feedback, meaning we probably won't know until late beta. Additionally, taking it out of one expansion, if they do decide to do that, does not mean that we will lose flying altogether in WoW. Disliking the potential is fine. However, I urge everyone to withhold judgement until beta; unlike things like storylines, this is not something we can change their stance on until we actually play through it.

Please don't be rude to each other or fight over something as silly as this! We have no idea what's going to happen and, at the moment, neither does Blizzard. I posted this information because I thought it might shed some light on things, and thought that the faster flight paths, alternate travel methods, and max-level quest chains would be welcome news to the majority of people here.
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.
Tumblr || Deviantart || WoW RP Blog

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I love flying. Not for convenience, I've just always *loved* flying. I'm happy to just do circles. Er, before you get any ideas, no I don't just log on and fly in circles ;)

But I'm very happy for flying to be unavailable for a while. I much prefer to explore new content on foot and I like to feel caught in the experience, as if there's no easy escape from danger. Even if you simply choose not to fly it's not the same feeling as actually having no way out.

I'd hate for it to be absent from the new world forever, though. Maybe if they want to add more danger to it they could have more things like the kaliris of Outland, predatory dread ravens, patrols of hostiles, or "shoot on sight" snipers like they used for the bases in KW.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

Junrei wrote:I've done it with quest mobs too. How the heck do you think I put up with HFP? XD

I too like exploring on foot at first. I also didn't mind not flying on IoT or TI. I actually liked that aspect of it. It felt for surreal, more exploring to be done. You wanna get up to that cliff? You actually used your noggin to figure out how to get up there.
The first time anyone ever did Hellfire Peninsula, flying didn't even exist. What people do on alts running it later is irrelevant.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Danielfboone wrote:
Junrei wrote:I've done it with quest mobs too. How the heck do you think I put up with HFP? XD

The first time anyone ever did Hellfire Peninsula, flying didn't even exist. What people do on alts running it later is irrelevant.
No, it's still relevant. You can't dismiss evidence of people doing it just because you want to support your view. Everything is relevant. Doesn't matter if it's current expansion or not. Not trying to be snippy or anything but I feel it's disrespectful to dismiss evidence like that.
Last edited by Lisaara on Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LisaaraPokefarm

buntcake1972

Unread post by buntcake1972 »

I hate this idea of no flying in WoD...flying has been part of the end game for almost 8 years....it's just plain dumb and I hope they remove it. I hated, HATED having to ride everywhere and worry about what pack of mobs would try to kick my ass on the way to an objective. I doubt I'll play if they stick to this rule. Plus how "off" will it look running around on some of the flying mounts...I mean have you seen what the TLPD looks like in ground mode? HAHA.
Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Frostwolf, Blackwater Raiders

Unread post by Aeladrine »

Guys. Please don't get snippy with each other over information that doesn't, and cannot, exist yet. We do NOT have the information, and neither does Blizzard. If you want to have the same conversation we've all had a million time already, please take it elsewhere. Like to PMs.

I, for one, am extremely grateful we'll be getting more direct flight paths, and am excited to see what these max-level quests will be like.
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.
Tumblr || Deviantart || WoW RP Blog

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Aeladrine wrote:There has not been a decision made about whether or not this flight restriction will be permanent, and they do not plan to make such a decision until they get a lot of feedback, meaning we probably won't know until late beta. Additionally, taking it out of one expansion, if they do decide to do that, does not mean that we will lose flying altogether in WoW. Disliking the potential is fine. However, I urge everyone to withhold judgement until beta; unlike things like storylines, this is not something we can change their stance on until we actually play through it.
For the love of Ellune this! ^

Personally I'm with Wain regarding the love of flying. I seriously just LOVE flying, as a child every 2nd dream was a flying dream, if I had to pick a super power, I'd have to be able to use it to fly somehow, the freedom, the sky, the soaring up , swooping around the falling, the.... annnnyway. So yeah I would be a little sad to lose it for the entire expansion, but that’s not been confirmed by Blizzard by any means, just assumptions of people freaking out.

I actually think it's a massive boon to not be able to fly at the start/a good part of an expansion. I learnt the lay of the land a lot better, knew landmarks and the little things. The rivers and caves and floras and Fauna changes, you really never get to appreciate that while flying over the top. Another reason is because the sea of similar looking tress that can block a lot of that out. There have been a fair few times I've felt lost looking for something or an area above the canopy of Jade forest or other similar areas. You then also lose immersion on what is going on around and below you when all you see is the tops of the trees.

Anyway, I'm not bothered by it in the least. And of any class worried about having to kill an entire zone to get to an Objective mob.... well we hunters gots the Feign Death and Camo and very little to qq about in that regard.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

SpiritBinder wrote:
Anyway, I'm not bothered by it in the least. And of any class worried about having to kill an entire zone to get to an Objective mob.... well we hunters gots the Feign Death and Camo and very little to qq about in that regard.
Pretty much this. Hunters and Warlocks usually have it the easiest when confined to the ground - so glad both those classes are now my mains! I think I gave my 2c before but I don't really care if we are grounded for a patch or 2. I too love flying and my flying mount collection BUT I like to explore too (which is prob why i have umpteen lower alts lol!) so I'm happy either way.

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Aeladrine wrote:Guys. Please don't get snippy with each other over information that doesn't, and cannot, exist yet. We do NOT have the information, and neither does Blizzard. If you want to have the same conversation we've all had a million time already, please take it elsewhere. Like to PMs.
This, please. It's possible to express your own feelings on the issue without casting people who disagree with you in a bad light.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Castile wrote:
SpiritBinder wrote:
Pretty much this. Hunters and Warlocks usually have it the easiest when confined to the ground - so glad both those classes are now my mains! I think I gave my 2c before but I don't really care if we are grounded for a patch or 2. I too love flying and my flying mount collection BUT I like to explore too (which is prob why i have umpteen lower alts lol!) so I'm happy either way.
Druids have it pretty well off too. Kitty stealth a gogo and travel form. Huzzah!

Anywhoozle, I love my flying mounts but it'll never beat exploring on the ground. I loved not using flying in Pandaria. Northrend made it hard to not have flying(which is one of it's biggest flaws) but Pandaria fixed that nicely. You didn't need flying to get anywhere you needed to go. I'm also thankful the flight paths will be much more direct this time rather than spending 20 minutes tabbing out cause you don't care to be sight seeing.

LisaaraPokefarm

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Junrei wrote:

Druids have it pretty well off too. Kitty stealth a gogo and travel form. Huzzah!

Anywhoozle, I love my flying mounts but it'll never beat exploring on the ground. I loved not using flying in Pandaria. Northrend made it hard to not have flying(which is one of it's biggest flaws) but Pandaria fixed that nicely. You didn't need flying to get anywhere you needed to go. I'm also thankful the flight paths will be much more direct this time rather than spending 20 minutes tabbing out cause you don't care to be sight seeing.
Oh yes i forgot kitty druid! I have too many alts >< but i love mah kitteh!

yes the fp's have always been an issue I think. I'm glad they are fixing this even if its just one continent!

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

Castile wrote:
Junrei wrote:

yes the fp's have always been an issue I think. I'm glad they are fixing this even if its just one continent!
Well they made the flight paths long and scenic before flying, so people could see hidden things that were unusual and out of reach (for the most part...) That's outdated though with flying, so making them that way anymore is just not worthwhile.

Overall, I think no flying until 100 will be great. And like I said before, perhaps a boost to speed on ground mounts, as they're simply too slow nowadays.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Gimlion wrote: Well they made the flight paths long and scenic before flying, so people could see hidden things that were unusual and out of reach (for the most part...)
Omg, that’s right, I forgot about that. It was pretty well done at the time when it was a very fresh "Undiscovered" world. Some of them almost gave you a little zone "Preview" on the way in and out or even glimpses of caves or instances and the likes you would maybe not have noticed otherwise.
Castile wrote: I have too many alts >< but i love mah kitteh!
Regarding alts, I rolled a Night Elf DK for the sole purpose of Shadowmeld, I use FD on my hunter so much that I knew I just needed some kind of combat drop (yes I can be lazy like that :P )

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Gimlion wrote:
Castile wrote:
Junrei wrote:

Well they made the flight paths long and scenic before flying, so people could see hidden things that were unusual and out of reach (for the most part...) That's outdated though with flying, so making them that way anymore is just not worthwhile.

Overall, I think no flying until 100 will be great. And like I said before, perhaps a boost to speed on ground mounts, as they're simply too slow nowadays.
That is very true. When I first started playing, I enjoyed seeing it. Now....I got my flying mount. I don't need to see it.

Even a tiny boost would be neat. Maybe to 125%? Though that may be a concern with pvp.

LisaaraPokefarm

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

SpiritBinder wrote:
Gimlion wrote: Well they made the flight paths long and scenic before flying, so people could see hidden things that were unusual and out of reach (for the most part...)
Omg, that’s right, I forgot about that. It was pretty well done at the time when it was a very fresh "Undiscovered" world. Some of them almost gave you a little zone "Preview" on the way in and out or even glimpses of caves or instances and the likes you would maybe not have noticed otherwise.
The dancing trolls! I was so disappointed when they turned out to be hostile. They seemed so happy for all those years.

If we're going to be grounded for a patch or two, it would be cool if the flight paths could preview some intriguing things we can't get to, build up the enthusiasm :)