Taming the Beast

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Chamber of Aspects-A, Bloodhoof-H

Taming the Beast

Unread post by Golden »

I had been looking for a "special" pet to fill the last stable slot with for a while now, and today it struck me: I want to tame the Beast in the UBRS, as I had read that he keeps his boss tag even after 3.3 when all the elite tags were removed. So off I went, begged my friend to bring her Druid to heal me and together we fought our way to the hound (getting the Jenkins title on our way there).

Once there, I got buffed with both the LW drums and Scroll of Fortitude. Due to my lack of haste gear, I decided to just stack stamina buffs and hope for the best - the tame would've probably been a lot easier if I had gotten all the haste I could find.

After the first few tries we decided that my friend should only heal me to full between tries - I had enough HP for around three tries without any healing anyway and we didn't want to risk the Beast aggroing on her and getting her killed.

We ended up using the following technique:
- pull him with Scorpid Sting (for the reduced chance to hit) and set myself in the corner behind the haystack (apparently his fears don't work back there at all)
- cast Rapid Fire (when available) and Deterrence, use a Potion of Speed - they can all be done at the same time so the easiest way is to macro them together
- start the tame and hope for the best - if it's interrupted, just start again
- when HP gets low, feign to reset him and heal up

It's all about luck, but sooner or later it'll work. I don't think I had either Rapid Fire or the haste potion up when I started the successful tame, as it was the second or third try in one pull.

After being tamed, his displayed level stays as ??, you can only see the correct level when visiting a Stable Master. However, there's a catch: if he's your current pet when you open the stable, his level will be displayed as -1! (screenshot) You can go around this by putting him in the stable, and reopening the window.

I decided to name him Beast for now. ^^
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Taming the Beast

Unread post by Vephriel »

Wow, congrats! ^^

I recently got myself one of the plain Core Hounds from Molten Core (which was pretty exciting in and of itself). Still, I think it would be incredibly fun to get a special pet like that with a boss plate. :D Gaaah I want to try it now.

EDIT: Okay, after reading some strategies I'm definitely going to attempt this! :D My boyfriend is a restro Druid so the two of use should be able to with some patience. ^^
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Anyone attempting to tame a pet in a contained setting like this may want to dps him a bit to establish aggro over their healer, btw. It was a luxury I couldn't afford with King Krush, but I would have done it otherwise!

Grats on the tame! ^_^

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Keeps the boss tag huh? That's pretty neat, hehe. I might consider doing this on one of my hunters, hehe.

Vephriel

Times like this I wish we were all on the same server so we could have like a taming party and help each other out. ^^
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Vephriel wrote:Times like this I wish we were all on the same server so we could have like a taming party and help each other out. ^^
We should start a thread to get a server picked and make alts for such an idea. Get a small raid going. Make a special guild. Haha.

Just a thought. ;)

Vephriel

Haha, can you imagine an entire guild of only hunters? xD That would be pretty awesome. It's definitely a cool idea. We could have a guild named Petopia or something. xD

Anyways, back on topic (sort of). I've never really been in UBRS much and have a terrible sense of direction. Is there somewhere that explains how to get to The Beast?

P.S. I'd love to see more screenshots of him, especially ones showing off his cool Boss name plate! :D
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

You can just run though killing things until you find him, or just run through, hehe. He's a ways in there, near the end I know. He's the... next to last? Next next to last boss? Something like that. Having track beasts up would help too, hehe.

Vephriel

I DID IT GUYS!!!!!!

Ahhh it was so difficult but then my paladin friend came and helped and we got through just fine. ^^ Oh man, it is so awesome to have a level ?? skull Boss for a pet, I just can't get over it. :D

I'll post screenshots in a bit.
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

Vephriel wrote:I DID IT GUYS!!!!!!

Ahhh it was so difficult but then my paladin friend came and helped and we got through just fine. ^^ Oh man, it is so awesome to have a level ?? skull Boss for a pet, I just can't get over it. :D

I'll post screenshots in a bit.
Congrats! I look forward to the screenies. :D

Vephriel

Screenshots! :D

Right after the tame.
I went with your idea and named him 'Beast' since it just seemed fitting. :) If we could have spaces in our pets names I would have kept him as 'The Beast', but I didn't want it without a space.

Level ?? Skull!!!! (and I believe when other people hover over him he has (Boss) beside his info too)

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

Pretty sweet, hehe. I'll have to get some time later to go do this. How much did your paladin friend help anyhow?

Vephriel

For the successful tame I had the Paladin and a Shaman (my boyfriend was originally going to use his Druid, but I thought his Shaman might be better for the Bloodlust).

I buffed up with some +Stamina elixirs/flasks along with a haste one. I also ate some of the cooked food that gives you stamina buffs. After that I got Paladin buffs and we were good to go.

We died a few times at first (well, they died....I feigned death) while we were working everything out. The Paladin finally came up with the idea to try [Divine Shield] on himself followed by [Divine Sacrifice]. This basically made 30% of the damage I was receiving go onto him instead, but the bubble protected him from feeling it too much.

So on the next tame I popped my cooldowns, drank a haste potion, had bloodlust engaged, and had Aspect of the Dragonhawk on, and went for it. I opened with Scorpid Sting and then began the tame ASAP. Having the damage taken away by 30% just helped so much. I don't know if I was just lucky or what, but the taming wasn't interrupted and next thing I knew I had him. :D
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

Vephriel wrote:For the successful tame I had the Paladin and a Shaman (my boyfriend was originally going to use his Druid, but I thought his Shaman might be better for the Bloodlust).

I buffed up with some +Stamina elixirs/flasks along with a haste one. I also ate some of the cooked food that gives you stamina buffs. After that I got Paladin buffs and we were good to go.

We died a few times at first (well, they died....I feigned death) while we were working everything out. The Paladin finally came up with the idea to try [Divine Shield] on himself followed by [Divine Sacrifice]. This basically made 30% of the damage I was receiving go onto him instead, but the bubble protected him from feeling it too much.

So on the next tame I popped my cooldowns, drank a haste potion, had bloodlust engaged, and had Aspect of the Dragonhawk on, and went for it. I opened with Scorpid Sting and then began the tame ASAP. Having the damage taken away by 30% just helped so much. I don't know if I was just lucky or what, but the taming wasn't interrupted and next thing I knew I had him. :D
Mmk. Hehe, sounds like it would have been great to watch.

Vephriel

Oh man, I can't even describe the pure adrenaline rush I had. x_x I actually had the jitters afterwards.

It was absolutely terrifying, haha. Even though he has the same look as any other core hound, just being in that room and seeing how HUGE and intimidating he was....it made a thrill go through you.

This is one of the things I just love about being a Hunter. Challenging tames can just make your whole day. :)
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

Vephriel wrote: This is one of the things I just love about being a Hunter. Challenging tames can just make your whole day. :)
QFT.

Doglover1335
Realm: The Sckryers

Unread post by Doglover1335 »

Beast Master isn't smart at lvl 80 :S
Aspect of the Adected.
Vephriel

Doglover1335 wrote:Beast Master isn't smart at lvl 80 :S
Umm, yeah....in case you haven't noticed some of us aren't interested in being best of the best. ;) I'd much rather have fun in this game, and I quite enjoy Beast Mastery.
Doglover1335
Realm: The Sckryers

Unread post by Doglover1335 »

Makes sence :]
Aspect of the Adected.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Vephriel wrote:We died a few times at first (well, they died....I feigned death) while we were working everything out. The Paladin finally came up with the idea to try [Divine Shield] on himself followed by [Divine Sacrifice]. This basically made 30% of the damage I was receiving go onto him instead, but the bubble protected him from feeling it too much.
*FACEPALM* I had a pally with me when I tamed King Krush, but hadn't even thought of using DS/DS (mostly because back then, I didn't know about it). That's a really fantastic idea for taming ANY pet who hits like a truck.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!