What was the last movie you saw??

Jurz
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Scryers, Earthern Ring, Feathermoon

Re: What was the last movie you saw??

Unread post by Jurz »

Sukurachi wrote:The reason they have material for more movies in Hobbit is that they are including material NOT in the Hobbit. They are using a ton of material from the appendices.

As for Hunger Games, the cutting into two parts felt perfectly justifiable considering the events and the character development that was needed. had they made 1 film only, everyone would be complaining that the film was too rushed and that there was no reason for the protagonist's transformation.
The Hobbit also includes scenes that just never occurred. Isn't that white orc supposed to be dead by now? It's been a long time since I've read the book so I dunno, but that whole scene where Smaug is covered in gold is definitely not in there. Yeah, yeah, it's a symbolic scene. I ADORE symbolism. I LOVE the Mockingjay from Hunger Games. I LOVE what it stands for. Smaug covered in gold is not the same. Yeah it's ironic. I guess it's a nice touch. It's the little things, but these things add up and turn what could have been 2 movies into 3, not to mention the movies progress relatively slowly. In the original LotR, I eagerly awaited for what would happen next. The Hobbit feels more drawn out, and there was a good 20 mins in each film where I could not focus and just wanted the plot to move on.

As for Hunger Games, the character development was not that great imo. I can understand why you might like it, but I wasn't feeling it and this is coming from someone who LOVES character development and even wrote a college essay on how important this aspect is to a story. Imo she was doing anything she could to save Peta. It wasn't her developing, it was her adapting, doing what she had to so that Peta would be saved. I just feel like it could have been shortened and all made into one movie. Movies aren't meant to be drawn out, even for character developmental purposes. You have got to keep the audience focused, and as someone with ADD I am very upset about this new trend of making these stories so long to the point where I lose interest.

I don't mean to turn this into an argument or anything, so sorry if it seems like I am. It's also interesting how movies go from not following the book very well, to following the books too well or even adding stuff from other stories. Sometimes it's best to not follow the book and I feel like we, as a whole, need to understand this. HTTYD is a great childrens book, I loved it! It would have been an AWFUL movie had they followed it. It would have been slow, boring, and just not movie material. Yeah, sometimes straying from the book can lead to an awful movie but that's not due to the fact that they strayed from the books, it's due to the fact that the director is awful at conveying a story. That was a mini rant at the end XD Sorry, I will stop now

Sig drawn by the amazing Lupis! and avatar drawn by the wonderful Senna!

Silivren
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

Sukurachi wrote:The reason they have material for more movies in Hobbit is that they are including material NOT in the Hobbit. They are using a ton of material from the appendices.

As for Hunger Games, the cutting into two parts felt perfectly justifiable considering the events and the character development that was needed. had they made 1 film only, everyone would be complaining that the film was too rushed and that there was no reason for the protagonist's transformation.
This. The Hobbit movies are completely amazing. If you don't like them, fine, but movie directors are more than inclined to add stuff, and as Suku said, it's stuff from the appendices. I adore them they're the best movies I've seen in forever. I like that they're longer. I can hold into my memories of the books I love and adore and remember my grandpa reading them to me as a child. I love these movies and can't wait for the last installment.

As for the Hunger Games, adore them too, there's a LOT in the last book and if they put it all in to make a shorter movie, it would definitely be too rushed.

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

A lot of the added material to the Hobbet feels at of place a lot of the time. It feels like a after thought. Mainly because most of it was they did add it in after they finished filming the movies. I remmeber it was on the news they went back to filming to add more stuff in to make it 3 movies.

I disagree. I don't think it would be too rushed at all if it was one movie.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

The animated Hobbit movie. Because where there is a whip there is a way!

EDIT: sorry it was the Lord of the rings animated movie XD There is a Hobbit one I should try and find that one.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

cowmuflage wrote:The animated Hobbit movie. Because where there is a whip there is a way!

EDIT: sorry it was the Lord of the rings animated movie XD There is a Hobbit one I should try and find that one.
Notice I was talking about Hunger Games when I talked about "rushed", not The Hobbit.

As for the (barely) animated Lord of the Rings film, it barely covered the first book.

There is a made-for-TV animated Hobbit film, from the 1970's, and it manages to be short by leaving out a WHOLE lot of stuff.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

and that rushed comment was meant to be for the Hunger games I just did not make it too clear.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

I saw Mocking Jay and really enjoyed it. I'd heard from people who had read the book that one was the most painful to read...like the author didn't really want to write it? I'm not sure about that but I feel the movie had a really good pace between talky story and action scenes - it wasn't just explosion after explosion (but i figure the next film will be like that).

Have never read the book I can't really comment on the rushed bit - I do feel they are trying to suck every penny they can out of this franchise however. Kinda like the Hobbit. My husband has read the Hobbit and yeah he says there's lots of added stuff that wasn't in the book (also tolkiens very painful way of writing every. little. detail. has been skipped alot - which is a good thing - he reckons them walking through the forrest took forever in the book lol!!) but I'm enjoying the ride of those films! After all i bought the extended Lord of the Rings for extra Legolas so him being added doesn't irk me one bit!

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Mad Max! Tomorrow will be Mad Max 2 and then 3. I might of gotten a dvd pack XD
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes tonight (my Bluray arrived today by UPS).

I still can't get over how emotionally draining that film is.

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Jurz
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Jurz »

IDK where else to put this, and it correlates with an upcoming movie

I finally found the Smaug Pop figure. THE HYPE IS REAL! He's going to sit next to my Toothless one :) Now I just need the Deathwing one

Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

Jurz wrote:IDK where else to put this, and it correlates with an upcoming movie

I finally found the Smaug Pop figure. THE HYPE IS REAL! He's going to sit next to my Toothless one :) Now I just need the Deathwing one
I have the Golden Smaug Pop on pre-order, so excited to get him in February. <3

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Sharknado 2.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: ohh boy ... but better than Sharknado 1 though

now just waiting for Tsharknami and Sharkcano ....

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

The Postman Pat movie. It was really good!
Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

Just saw the new Hobbit film at the midnight release... *sigh* Wish I hadn't. I was majorly unimpressed. :/ I adored the first two so it was a massive shame to me.

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

21 and 22 Jump Street. They both where really good! I thougt they'd be crap but nope!
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

cowmuflage wrote:21 and 22 Jump Street. They both where really good! I thougt they'd be crap but nope!
Ha! I was debating renting those. Thanks for the thumbs up. I love Channing Tatum, but I really dislike the other actor (see, I've even blocked out his name).

"Step on no pets!"

Jurz
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Jurz »

Snowy wrote:Just saw the new Hobbit film at the midnight release... *sigh* Wish I hadn't. I was majorly unimpressed. :/ I adored the first two so it was a massive shame to me.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

It's not here yet, but I was SOOOO looking forward to it! like, looking more forward to it than Hunger Games. This upsets me :(

Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

You may enjoy it Jurz. I know a lot of people did. Don't take my opinion as if it's fact lol. Both me and my boyfriend were just severely underwhelmed by it is all.

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I saw Exodus: Gods and Kings today. I didn't hate it, I didn't love it. There are some very powerful things in it, some moments that are heart-wrenching, and some "classic" moments that make your hair stand on end they are so powerful and moving (no spoiler here, but when Moses asks God who he is, and God says "I Am." it's mind blowing.)

Otherwise, for me there was a bit too much "action" that seemed to detract from the subject matter. The film obviously takes great liberties with the source material, which I am fine with. But in too large parts it feels like a Hollywood action flick, rather than a sword and sandals epic.

Excellently shot - one wouldn't expect anything less from Ridley Scott. Good performances all around, once you can make abstraction of the over use of Caucasian Hollywood heavy-hitters in the important roles. I even liked Christian Bale, whom I had started to annoyed with, finding most of his latest performances affected and artificial.

The effects are great, obviously. That said, for me, the plagues just didn't feel as "magical" (or divine if you prefer) as they should. The approach was more "grounded".. and I'm honestly starting to O.D. on the whole "grounded and gritty" thing in movies.

So in all, I actually FAR preferred Darren Aronovsky's Noah, which was more unique, more original, and retained the more "magical" side of the story. Add to that, Noah was absolutely breath-taking "Art" cinema from a purely visual standpoint alone, giving it an edge over Exodus: Gods and Kings in my opinion.

It's a long flick (Exodus), clocking in at over 2 and a half hours, and apparently, there's yet another our of cut material that will find its way into the Bluray release. This might be a good thing, because honestly, Sigourney Weaver had maybe two lines to speak.... talk about a perfect waste of an awesome actress. I read that much of her material was cut.

Hell, I even liked the music, which was more lyrical and "thematic" than the usual run of the mill Hollywood garbage being put out these days.

"Step on no pets!"

Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Sukurachi wrote: The effects are great, obviously. That said, for me, the plagues just didn't feel as "magical" (or divine if you prefer) as they should. The approach was more "grounded".. and I'm honestly starting to O.D. on the whole "grounded and gritty" thing in movies.
The thing with these "new" versions of very old stories is that they feel they have to put a new spin on it when they really don't. So the "new" thing to do is to make them all gritty and realistic rather than give them that magical feel as you said that the original story and previous made films had about them. I haven't seen the film but it sounds like a remake of "The Ten Commandments" which is a very very long film but a classic. That had quite a divine feel to it.

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~