Shiny Icespine Hatchling?

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Kööna
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin - US

Shiny Icespine Hatchling?

Unread post by Kööna »

As I was making my way towards killing a Necrophyte for a piece of Torn Cloth in order to tame Gara, I noticed something rather strange. Never before have I seen a different colored Icepsine Hatchling and I was wondering if anyone else spotted one.
Here is a picture for you to compare the two colors.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Shiny Icespine Hatchling?

Unread post by Wain »

Funny you should mention that, I only just noticed that yesterday too :) I think Quintessence updated WCP yesterday to list both blues.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

So, as far as I know, the only new wild pets that have multiple skins are the Icespine Hatchling and the Thicket Skitterer. Does anyone know of any others? I wonder how long I should wait to update the guide, to see if there will be any more?
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

GormanGhaste wrote:So, as far as I know, the only new wild pets that have multiple skins are the Icespine Hatchling and the Thicket Skitterer. Does anyone know of any others? I wonder how long I should wait to update the guide, to see if there will be any more?
There's the Wood Wasp, too, with a rare purple/green variant instead of the normal brown/green.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Equeon wrote:
GormanGhaste wrote:So, as far as I know, the only new wild pets that have multiple skins are the Icespine Hatchling and the Thicket Skitterer. Does anyone know of any others?
There's the Wood Wasp, too, with a rare purple/green variant instead of the normal brown/green.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention! Does the rare color really only have a spawn rate of 1%? I probably won't have time to update the color guide until sometime mid-week.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

GormanGhaste wrote:
Equeon wrote:
GormanGhaste wrote:So, as far as I know, the only new wild pets that have multiple skins are the Icespine Hatchling and the Thicket Skitterer. Does anyone know of any others?
Thanks for bringing it to my attention! Does the rare color really only have a spawn rate of 1%? I probably won't have time to update the color guide until sometime mid-week.
I don't know if it is as low as 1% but it is very low. After I found out about that skin, I went out to get one and during that time I only found 1 that showed up purple/green upon initiating battle. When I found a secondary that was rare with the stats I wanted, I tried to force reset it to purple/green... it took so long I wondered if it wasn't even possible. To give you an idea, I burned through 2 or 3 bandages and 2 self heals trying to keep my capture team at reasonable health while I reset it. Eventually it did change color and I was able to nab it.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

peanutbuttercup wrote:
GormanGhaste wrote:
Equeon wrote: There's the Wood Wasp, too, with a rare purple/green variant instead of the normal brown/green.
I don't know if it is as low as 1% but it is very low. After I found out about that skin, I went out to get one and during that time I only found 1 that showed up purple/green upon initiating battle. When I found a secondary that was rare with the stats I wanted, I tried to force reset it to purple/green... it took so long I wondered if it wasn't even possible. To give you an idea, I burned through 2 or 3 bandages and 2 self heals trying to keep my capture team at reasonable health while I reset it. Eventually it did change color and I was able to nab it.
I remember reading somewhere, maybe on the WarcraftPets forum, that it actually is a 1 in 100 spawn rate. The other "rare versions" of wild pets are 1 in 10, so someone was wondering if this extreme rarity was due to a typo.

Either way, it took me about an hour and I burned through about eight bandages before getting mine, not counting the four-minute built-in heal timer. Do note that this can only work on battles where the Wood Wasp is a secondary pet.

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I had no idea that colour was available, oh god I need to get it now. What's the best place to find them as secondary pets, does anyone know?
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

I thought battle pets were supposed to be color changers??? Is that broken too along with the hunter pets that used to color change or was it only specific pets?

WoWHead shows them with the same NPC ID (#85003) so I am curious.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah, that commenter on WCP was me ;)

There are four columns in the Creature.db2 database that define which appearances a creature can use (hence you'll only see up to four appearance variants for any creature), and then there are four columns of numbers that seem to define the ratio of frequency of each look. For the Icespine Hatchling it's 9:1, which seems to fit with the wild. The same ratio is used for the Thicket Skitterer (9:1 beige:yellow). But the Wood Wasp it's 99:1 (just checked, it still is). I'm not sure if that's a typo and they meant to type '9' once, or if it's deliberate. The ultra-rare is kinda cool though.

Anyway, pick a secondary you like the look of and settle in, because it could take many restarts to get the dark one. Remember to heal now and then or you could face a battle you aren't healthy enough for and that would suck :P
Vephriel

Wain wrote:Anyway, pick a secondary you like the look of and settle in, because it could take many restarts to get the dark one.
Welp, I'm going for it because I need a mini version of my favourite wasp skin. (why is it always the colours I like best that are stupidly rare?)
So far it's been 2 and a half hours of resetting. x_x RNG has never been kind to me, but hopefully it will spawn eventually as a "shiny".

And zed, the captured minipets stay the colour they're tamed as, that's why some people have multiple captures of the same type of wild pet so they can have one of each variety.

EDIT: after over 3 hours it's finally mine! ;u; I'm so glad someone brought this up because I would have had no idea this skin was obtainable as a minipet otherwise

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

zedxrgal wrote:I thought battle pets were supposed to be color changers??? Is that broken too along with the hunter pets that used to color change or was it only specific pets?

WoWHead shows them with the same NPC ID (#85003) so I am curious.
Color changing in battle pets has a bit of a messy history. Early on in MoP pets that were caught as secondaries did change color, while pets caught as primaries did not. At some point (patch 5.1?) Bliz decided to "fix" it so that secondary pets would remain the color they were when you caught them - it wasn't a perfect fix since they broke Dragon Kite's color swap and also certain wild pets "reverted" to the wrong color (I think Maggot or Larva was one). Then I think at the next patch they changed the battle system again so that if you didn't kill any pet in a wild battle, you could forfeit reset it to pick the color of secondary pets while keeping the rarity and breed intact (previously you had to Alt-F4 and force a disconnect, then log back in, to try and pick colors).

Long story short, there's no more color changing battle pets other than intentional ones (and maybe an old glitchy Larva or something... I know I found a rabbit type pet that was color glitched too).
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

The new Sister of Temptation is an example of a weird semi-colour-changer, which may be a bug.

Basically there are two different types she can come in:
- blue always
- blue or red colour-changer

It seems like they would intend for her to either always be a colour-changer or to have individual red and blue types. This weird mix seems like an unintended effect to me.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Wain wrote:The new Sister of Temptation is an example of a weird semi-colour-changer, which may be a bug.

Basically there are two different types she can come in:
- blue always
- blue or red colour-changer

It seems like they would intend for her to either always be a colour-changer or to have individual red and blue types. This weird mix seems like an unintended effect to me.
*runs to BT*

Since I already had a number of partially cleared instances I went to see if I could snag another Sister of Temptation. I already had a blue only H/B. Got a second H/B, but when I learned it the default pet journal preview showed it as red (oops, spoke too soon... it now shows blue so even that's not stable) and yes, it color changes on summon.

I hope this will eventually get fixed so the red actually stays color stable. :)
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Congratulation Veph!!!

And thank you for clearing that up for me. I too amassed multiples of the same battle pet in each color because I was sure they didn't color change anymore. Glad I did. Now I'll have to hunt down the different color of Icespine hatchling. To Warcraft Pets I go!

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

All my Sisters of Temptation are now stable blue. Maybe they removed the red entirely.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Wain wrote:All my Sisters of Temptation are now stable blue. Maybe they removed the red entirely.
Yeah it's starting to look like it got fixed at some point today or something. I had gotten a 3rd Sister of Temptation this morning that was a color changer, then logged out for a while, and when I came back both it and my previous color changer stopped switching colors. :(
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

So wait.. I'm confused. For like the Purple/green Hookwasp.. Can you see it flying around in world? Or will it only appear as a secondary pet in a battle?

Siggy under construction!

Vephriel

Bowno wrote:So wait.. I'm confused. For like the Purple/green Hookwasp.. Can you see it flying around in world? Or will it only appear as a secondary pet in a battle?
I imagine it might be possible to see it flying around, but it seems very, very rare. It's probably a better chance to find a secondary because at least that way you can continually reset until it spawns as the "shiny" colour.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

Vephriel wrote:
Bowno wrote:So wait.. I'm confused. For like the Purple/green Hookwasp.. Can you see it flying around in world? Or will it only appear as a secondary pet in a battle?
I imagine it might be possible to see it flying around, but it seems very, very rare. It's probably a better chance to find a secondary because at least that way you can continually reset until it spawns as the "shiny" colour.
Ah I see. Thanks! I'll have to start looking around.

Siggy under construction!