Pet standing around, is it just me?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Pet standing around, is it just me?

Unread post by Boven »

I've noticed that when a mob dies, my pet will just stand there by its corpse for a second or two before returning to my side. I'm guessing it's just taking that long for the pet to drop combat. Is this something that changed recently? I don't remember it happening in the past.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Re: Pet standing around, is it just me?

Unread post by Ana »

no it happens ALOT i think.. and it takes a while before the pet actually engages in a fight.. specially with low lvl mobs.. Also intimidation seams to loose aggro on pet now :(

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Sadly pet aggro was lost LONG ago. They rarely hold aggro well anymore. Such a shame too. I miss the days of my pets being able to hold their own against a mob.

And yes. My pets seem to sit over the slain mob. Almost like they're saying "I showed you!". :lol:

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I was going to ask the exact same thing. I noticed this a few weeks ago, with my pet just standing there, doing nothing after killing a mob. VERY annoying when you're taking on multiple mobs.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Torachi
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Kilrogg, Ysera, Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Torachi »

Yeah, I've noticed mine doing it too. At first I thought it was just Ahmatti, since he's a maggot and technically wasn't meant to be tamed, but then I noticed Veritas (my Felwood wolf from pre-BC) does it, and so do my other pets. Out of all of them, it seems my cats derp out the most, doing this weird little shimmy from left to right with their back feet after they kill a mob.

GM of <Darkness Dawning>
Casual Gaming - LGBT Friendly - Furry Friendly
VICTORY!
(Signature made by me)

Tankperson
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Tankperson »

It even happens on my lock so you are not alone on this.
Shaiandra
Realm: US WrA [A/H]

Unread post by Shaiandra »

Its funny, I don't seem to have an aggro problem at all, though I do use my misdirect macro as part of my solo rotation so that could be it.
Also, the whole standing still thing isn't something I noticed either cuz I tend to chain pull stuff and by the time its all dead its at my side again lol.
I know my beetle (My tanking pet) never seems to fail me, so I guess for me its a combination of what I do and what pets I use.
BOW DOWN TO MY SCARAB!!!! *Cackles*

To skies unflown,
To waters unexplored,
To paths not yet walked,
To creatures who have yet to run beside me,
I say to you, this challenge you give, I accept and conquer.

Torachi
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Kilrogg, Ysera, Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Torachi »

I pretty much never use misdirect, and unless I pull 10+ mobs at once, I never really have aggro issues, and I just about never use tenacity. I have one pet who I keep in tenacity, as a 'just in case' kind of thing, and that's Furyshell. I've never seen him do the shuffle, but he does derp out and just stand there after killing a mob(s) occasionally, too.

I guess some of our pets are the Moon Moon of our stables. :P

GM of <Darkness Dawning>
Casual Gaming - LGBT Friendly - Furry Friendly
VICTORY!
(Signature made by me)

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

I've never seen any of this and my pets have no, zero, aggro issues. They lock on like pit bulls and never lose it, even when ferocity specced.I never have to use Misdirect either. Of course this is in BM, I have no idea what happens in the other specs since I never solo things in them.
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

You must not do much dmg then cuz my pets loose agro all the time in BM with growl on :| and I have noticed they like to sit on or at the kill for a few sec before returning or going to the next target. :mrgreen:

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I don't understand those who are saying they never use [Misdirect]...
I have to cast it regularly else my pet loses all aggro and suddenly I start looking like a buffet.

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

If you're specced BM and your pet loses aggro, you're doing something wrong. Probably being in too much of a hurry to kill things. I use a cast sequence macro for my basic abilities and it starts every fight with Kill Command. Even if I pull the mob with a right click autoshot, the pet then does Kill Command and aggro is locked. I never open with Arcane and don't spam it either. The macro is Kill Command, Arcane, Cobra, Cobra and repeat. I mix in Wrath, Barrage, Crows, and Dire Beast if needed but many times the macroed abilities are all I need. My ferocity pet will even hold aggro most of the time with Growl not even turned on. I very rarely will switch to a Tenacity pet for the big mobs with a ton of health but usually not even then. I can't remember the last time I used Misdirect outside of an instance and it's never used on the pet even then.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

For those who are having problems with pets holding aggro (esp in BM), I'm wondering if some of those instances are because you're pet tanking "boss" level mobs? Anything that's coded as a boss or is something like 2-3 levels above your max level is immune to Growl, so your pet's ability to aggro is reliant on you misdirecting it onto them.

Regardless of whether or not my pet is able to hold aggro I always keep MD up because I have it macroed with mend pet. Makes me sad when hunters don't bother to heal their pets when they're trying so hard to tank a mob with their little pet faces.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I open every fight with Misdirect and a bomb of some sort.
I use Kill Command the second it's off cooldown.
I only ever use big damage-dealing abilities immediately after using Misdirect.

So I'm doing everything exactly the way I should. I've been playing hunter for 10 years now.

However, there's some sort of glitch in the last months where our pets just sit there after killing a mob. And at times this gets annoying because the pet refuses to go to a new mob you are attacking.

"Step on no pets!"

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Sukurachi wrote:I open every fight with Misdirect and a bomb of some sort.
I use Kill Command the second it's off cooldown.
I only ever use big damage-dealing abilities immediately after using Misdirect.

So I'm doing everything exactly the way I should. I've been playing hunter for 10 years now.

However, there's some sort of glitch in the last months where our pets just sit there after killing a mob. And at times this gets annoying because the pet refuses to go to a new mob you are attacking.
You may think that's the right way to do it but it isn't to me. When soloing, I only use the big damage stuff (other than Kill Command) if I really need to. Sometimes I don't even use BW. Your way is much more dangerous. Like I said, I open with either an auto shot to pull or Kill Command if the mob is close enough. If I do the auto shot and then use my macro, the pet intercepts the mob and locks onto it way before it even gets close to me. There is no need to use MD if you do it that way. Even in raids and dungeons, I only use MD if I have to be the one pulling something to the tank. If the tank pulls, I never bother with it. Heck, I don't even use the OMEN addon any more because there is no way I will pull threat even when opening with all my cooldowns.

Actually, there are less aggro problems now then there were in Vanilla. Back then you had to send the pet in and let it establish aggro before you fired anything. In those days, misdirect was needed much more than now. Pulling threat from tanks was also an issue all the way through Wrath. Since then, it has disappeared and things like Omen are not even needed.

As to the pet standing still glitch, I haven't seen it.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

then you're wasting time and taking far longer on fights than you should be.

that's what Misdirect is for. it allows you to cause more damage and attribute it to your pet as far as aggro distribution is concerned. I think you're the one who may be mistaken as to what is the right and wrong way to play BM hunter.

I've never had trouble holding aggro until this issue with pets just sitting around admiring the view. This is a recent issue. In no way does it show that I am not playing my class/spec properly.

"Step on no pets!"

Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

Back on topic...

One of the warlocks in my raid group was complaining about his demon buddies doing the same kind of thing and asked if hunter pets were doing it too. One of our shamans noted his elementals do it, too. Aside from being annoying, it can make for some issues in BRF on some fights. For example, I have to make sure to hit passive and bring my pet back just before the last Hans and Franz trash dies so that he's not standing around to aggro the bosses when they enter.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Yes back to orig topic, I personally haven't seen my pets standing around idly while they should be in combat/right after combat, and I haven't heard anyone from my raid group complaining about it (including locks, mages, etc). Doesn't mean it's not happening but maybe we're just not noticing it. Like I'm usually spamming Fetch right after each round of combat so maybe what I thought was the Fetch dance is actually the pet bugging out a bit.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I just solo-ran an older raid (Sunwell), and it was quite clear that my pet was stopping, freezing up, immediately after killing and refusing to run to the new target I had designated. There was always a 2-3 second pause.

I guess it's much more noticeable when you solo stuff.

"Step on no pets!"

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

For the sake of testing I decided to take a pet out for a spin today to specifically to see if there's any stoppage between mobs for me (so no Fetch spamming).

Went as BM and did the Apexis daily in Everbloom. At the end of combat the pet did consistently pause for just under 1 second before coming back. Is that what people are seeing? If that's the problem I can see why I hadn't noticed, a 1 sec delay isn't enough to get a red flag from me (lag will do far worse than that).