Proposing a new pet buff system.

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Dweezill
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Sargeras

Proposing a new pet buff system.

Unread post by Dweezill »

Ok, so I do have to say that I kinda hate the way the pet buffs are done in WoD. It's not so bad during raids, because more often than not, all the buffs are already given by other classes. however, I hate not being able to use my favorite pets in dungeons and even during leveling. So, here is the way I would propose pet buffs work.

Pets should get a buff determined by what food they have last eaten. Different food types give different food buffs. So, if I wanted to give my crocolisk an ability to give the haste buff, I would just feed him some food that would give him the ability.

For BM hunters, you could feed your pet two kinds of food and get a buff for each type of food that was eaten. This way, BM hunters are able to use their favorite exotic pet instead of one that has the "better buffs". Not to mention, BM hunters would no longer have to use an exotic pet. we could use standard pets without losing the additional buff.

So, what do you think? Good idea? Bad idea? Am I on the right track to an idea that might make hunters happier?
Kalhoun
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Ghostlands (H) & Kirin Tor (A)

Re: Proposing a new pet buff system.

Unread post by Kalhoun »

I kind of like this idea, mostly because exotics really don't feel like exotics anymore. There are so many "normal" beasts that look just as special - case in point, the fel wolf coming in 6.2. Having some sort of mechanic like the one you suggested would still let Beast Masters have an edge pet-wise and get rid of how blurry all the tamables are becoming. I'm not sure how it being a food buff would work out; would we have to cook it? Would it be a reagent? Where would we get it? Maybe something like a "training collar" we would apply to the pet in the spellbook tab?

Just my thoughts. Cute idea!
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Oh I do like this idea. :) I would love to be able to individually select the buffs on my pets to suit the situation without needing to swap to specific ones. It's not that much of a pain anymore these days, but there are still pets I don't use very often.

I also like the training collar idea, which might work better than a food buff which sounds temporary or subject to removal if the pet dies or is dismissed. Perhaps hunters could get a collar slot (could just be the unused off hand slot beside our ranged weapon) with "sockets", and BM hunters or exotic pets could have 2 sockets instead of 1 that we could put the buffs into and have them be interchangeable?

It's definitely a neat idea, and not one that drastically changes anything, just gives us a bit more option and customization.
Kalhoun
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Kalhoun »

Vephriel wrote:Perhaps hunters could get a collar slot (could just be the unused off hand slot beside our ranged weapon) with "sockets", and BM hunters or exotic pets could have 2 sockets instead of 1 that we could put the buffs into and have them be interchangeable?
That would be neat.

Still unsure how we would get the items since they removed reagents (didn't they?). If they were an enchant-like object, or a gem-like object, that would mean a core ability of ours would be profession-based, and I don't think that works. Hmmmmm!
Dweezill
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Sargeras

Unread post by Dweezill »

Well, pet families already have a group of foods they already like to eat. Make it so all pet families will every type of food, and each food gives a different buff. Ex: feeding your pet fish would give it a haste buff, or feeding your pet fruits would give it a crit buff. And since every player class can already have buffs that continue through death, it shouldn't be too hard to make it so the pet doesn't lose the buff through death. And truthfully, I miss taking care of my pets like we had to do back in the day. Not saying we should have the whole Happiness thing again (although I would definitely not complain if we did), I am just saying it would give the people who like interacting with their pets something to do as well. Not to mention, each pet could keep their family buff, but maybe have it so the food they ate overwrote that buff with a new one.

I also like the pet collar idea too.... however, it would give us something else to grind for. Unless they just made it so hunters had a way to enchant the collar (like Death Knights runeforge their weapons), I think it would almost make it so hunters had to level a specific profession. I definitely think the Petopians have a ton of great ideas when it comes to the subject of customizing our pets.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Give Hunters their pet collars at level 10, when they learn their basic Hunter abilities.

Give the basic collar a simple stat boost, nothing game changing.

Give the basic collar a single gem slot that becomes active/available at a certain level.
This would certainly give Jewelcrafters a chance to make some of the lower-level gems since Hunters would need them as they level up, and eventually would/could decide to replace them with different stat gems.

Give BM Hunters a 2nd gem slot that becomes active at a certain level.

And in my opinion, give BM Hunters a pet-related boost, such as faster pet healing than the other 2 specs. After all, BM hunters rely on their pets considerably more-so than either of the other two specs.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Collars? Yes. Wonderful concept and I want them to actually SHOW on my pets.

Feeding? Hell to the no. I hated it when we had it before. I would probably never play my hunters again if they ever brought it back.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I've wanted the ability to choose which combat buff pets bring for a long time, so I am on board with this. I would be fine with a UI element like talents and glyphs for this as well, but maybe instead of having to use a Tome of Clear Mind, you use your pets food (so you dont end up feeding a herbivore meat lol). I really don't care how it happens as long as it isn't too cumbersome. I want to use my devilsaur no matter what combat stat buff my raid needs. Nothing wrong with a spellpower devilsaur or a master wolf to me!
Vephriel

Yeah, I like the idea of it being more like swapping talents or glyphs rather than a required profession. Really fun brainstorming in this thread either way! Maybe some simple way to 'unlock' each buff , something similar to the old method of needing to tame specific pets to learn the old abilities (but not that annoying)?
Kalhoun
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Kalhoun »

Dweezill wrote:And truthfully, I miss taking care of my pets like we had to do back in the day.
I actually enjoyed that too. I liked feeling like I was working on a pet after freshly taming it, and seeing it ding as my best friend always gave me the warm fuzzies. I liked feeding my pet to keep it happy. But of course, that might be a case of nostalgia goggles, despite my love of fiddly things.
Vephriel

Yeah, I look back with fondness on the loyalty system in all honesty, even though I realize most of it is nostalgia. I think it could do without the danger of having your pet run away if it gets too upset (that's just a risk no one wants to take, especially with rares), but I do miss the sense of working beside my pet and bonding with it as it grows.
Torachi
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Kilrogg, Ysera, Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Torachi »

I love the idea of there being a visible collar on my pets. They could also make it to where if it's gems giving the different buffs, the gems could be displayed, like rhinestones, or "spikes" made out of whatever gem.

The problem is, I also love the food idea. I miss the days when I had to feed my pets to maintain their loyalty and all that. Made it feel more realistic to me. The only thing that irritated me was when they would start getting hungry during fights. -.- I'd be all for the mechanic coming back, but perhaps polish it a bit more so that they can't get hungry during combat.

Either way, you guys have some very good ideas that I'd love to see implemented. :D

GM of <Darkness Dawning>
Casual Gaming - LGBT Friendly - Furry Friendly
VICTORY!
(Signature made by me)

Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind

Unread post by Bendak »

I really think it would be nice to be able to choose pet buffs as well so we can use pets with less useful buffs more often.

I proposed an idea that basically uses an interface like Lone Wolf buff selection but it's just in your pet's spell book. It could be called a collar for lore reasons.

It was a smaller part of a bigger pipedream of mine to bring back pet loyalty in a non-annoying way. See here: http://eyesofthebeast.com/2015/03/how-b ... t-loyalty/
Eyes of the Beast - My Hunter Blog
Kalhoun
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Kalhoun »

Bendak wrote:I really think it would be nice to be able to choose pet buffs as well so we can use pets with less useful buffs more often.

I proposed an idea that basically uses an interface like Lone Wolf buff selection but it's just in your pet's spell book. It could be called a collar for lore reasons.

It was a smaller part of a bigger pipedream of mine to bring back pet loyalty in a non-annoying way. See here: http://eyesofthebeast.com/2015/03/how-b ... t-loyalty/
I think that's a really cute idea, though I would prefer Beast Masters to be able to choose which pet becomes exotic (and get the two buff slots). Seriously, if anything, having just that option would make me a very happy Hunter. I want to be able to use my wolf or turtle for all things! :3

But a loyalty system as you describe would be very fun.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I really love this idea. Good thinking :)

It's also far more thematic than the cold "glyph" system they designed for players. I wouldn't mind if it was a food buff if it was a once-off or seldom needed one. Like you feed them to switch them from their default and that's it. Or feed them two different things / attach two tags to their collar for multi buff scenarios.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

I'm surprised this hasn't happened in some form yet. Surely they aren't tied to wolf = crit and cat = mastery. They change up what family gives what buffs each xpac (with some exceptions like wolf/cat) so they can't be too married to it. Crossing my fingers, hoping it gets serious consideration!
Sar
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Sar »

Just build the lone wolf button onto the pet bar, allowing any pet to give any buff. Those choosing the Lone Wolf talent get to do it themselves and still get the damage buff.

Simples.
Social Media: YouTube | Twitter | Nerd Rooted
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Sar wrote:Just build the lone wolf button onto the pet bar, allowing any pet to give any buff. Those choosing the Lone Wolf talent get to do it themselves and still get the damage buff.

Simples.
While I would prefer some kind of simple flavor interaction with switching buffs (like the ideas mentioned above), I would be A-OK with this if this gets it in the game. ;)

Bendak wrote:It was a smaller part of a bigger pipedream of mine to bring back pet loyalty in a non-annoying way. See here: http://eyesofthebeast.com/2015/03/how-b ... t-loyalty/
Kinda like a pet reputation. Interesting, I love it! Would the rep be family based or individual pet? Individual pets could be grindy but would make more sense.