Predict the Hunter Pets of the Next Expansion!

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Predict the Hunter Pets of the Next Expansion!

Unread post by Equeon »

It's about that time: the exciting period after an expansion has been revealed and before anything's datamined. Being the hunters and pet seekers that we are, I figured it would be fun to try to predict what new creatures show up in the next expansion! If you predict a pet correctly by the time Beta rolls around/we see a new screenshot, I'll add it to the front page of this post and personally congratulate you. :lol:

This should be different from a "wish list" post: with the exception of older families becoming tamable, try to imagine what creatures could realistically be included in this expansion. For example: I can't see unicorn sharks, as great as they might be, fitting in this expansion without a major underwater focus.
Still, creativity is highly encouraged! Draw from the lore, or your own imagination.

For my own list, I've set a "PPS", or "Personal Probability Score", besides each family to indicate how likely I think these beasts are to appear.

New Pet Families

Snapdragon (PPS: High)

This is a great choice for a new pet family. They're local to the Broken Isles and trained by the Naga, so they perfectly fit within the new expansion. If implemented, Snapdragons would be the only other lizard-like family besides Warpstalkers, adding some much-needed variety. Plus, they're amphibious, have impressive fins/neck frills, and can spit acid!

Couatl (PPS: Medium)

Like the aquatic version of Wind Serpents, the Couatl are fierce sea creatures tamed by the Naga. They would make pretty spectacular pets if they came in various vibrant colors, like tropical fish.

Newly Tamable Families

Yak (PPS: High)

There are many Yaks in Highmountain, and there's really no good reason they aren't currently tamable.

Shoveltusk (PPS: Low)

We're getting Stormheim, an entire zone that's Vrykul-themed. Perhaps the wandering Vrykuls brought several shiploads of Shoveltusks from Northrend for food and fur?

(More coming later!)
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Re: Predict the Hunter Pets of the Next Expansion!

Unread post by Lupen202 »

I wouldn't be surprised to see:

Tallstriders
Sabers (New mounts + pets please, with the big focus on elves and all...)
Other moose colors
Elk
Bears
Wolves
Hawks
Foxes
Owls
Perhaps hydras (I can see them hanging out with the naga)
Maybe a new worm
Corehounds might be hanging around the burning legion
I think I remember seeing a crane

...Doubt they all will get new models/colors, but they seem like they'd all fit in with the continent. Crossing my fingers at least bears will make it in and will get a makeover. Also not a hunter pet, but I'd love if those wild horse herds would make a comeback.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Bambu
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo/Eitrigg

Unread post by Bambu »

Whoa, those snapdragon things I'm really digging! Are they canon to Warcraft? I've never heard of them before! I'd definitely love to see another lizard family personally.

Also frogs/toads. Can't think of good reasons besides "I really want to tame a frog." though. :P
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

New Warp Stalker, Nether Ray, and Bear models.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Couatl and Snap Dragons are from older Warcraft games and both were units used by the Naga. As such they'd be excellent choices for the fauna of this expansion (unless any lore contradicts them existing in the Broken Isles?). Couatl really seem to be a fancier form of wind serpent, and could conceivably exist within that family. Snap Dragons are quite different to anything we've seen in the game and would have to have their own family.

Like many I'm hopeful for a new bear model and also a new tallstrider.

I was happy to see the moose, but I don't find them particularly exciting - we have an awful lot of stags already and the Pandaren model is still pretty fresh. So I hope nothing especially big is made of them. I'd see them as a bonus to Stags rather than a feature of any new pets.

As for old families, I think a thunder lizard type family consisting of mushan, stegodons and kodos, and a new family consisting of pterrordaxes and skyscreamers (as long as the latter don't end up hopping along the ground like rylaks, ergh).

Given the nature of the expansion, I think a more demonic-looking group like hellhounds would be brilliant, but I don't see them doing it. It would be a nice surprise though :)

Hippogryphs would be another great family and even if they aren't I hope we'll see a lot of wild ones in the isles. It really feels like the place for hippogryphs, as the isles really remind me of northern Kalimdor. One isle especially reminded me of Azshara. As such, I believe the "rylaks" we saw in Draenor would have been far more credible as new chimaeras here. Ah well, no use looking back.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Wain wrote:Given the nature of the expansion, I think a more demonic-looking group like hellhounds would be brilliant, but I don't see them doing it. It would be a nice surprise though :)
Could be a great excuse for another unique tame like Gara/Felwolf! Hey if Shannox can have TWO tamed surely we can have one :D
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

I really have no idea.

I guess some things that are likely are:

Snap Dragons
Bears
Tarantulas?
Hawks
Sabers

I would like Tarantulas and Snap Dragons, but the rest are all nothing particularly exciting for me. Hoping for Kunchong and Pterrorwings for that reason. Hoping this expansion surprises me with cool looking stuff.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Heleos
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Medivh

Unread post by Heleos »

Id love a new Fel Hound model to tame!
Heleos
Night Elf Hunter
Medivh- US
HunterFTW
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: muridain

Unread post by HunterFTW »

Something that's been wondering in my head. considering Gara in Wod. whos to say that the BM hunter artifact would possibly have something to do with Pets. and even more so costimise them like the feral druids cat look. BUT what kind of pet would it be?
Bambu
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo/Eitrigg

Unread post by Bambu »

HunterFTW wrote:Something that's been wondering in my head. considering Gara in Wod. whos to say that the BM hunter artifact would possibly have something to do with Pets. and even more so costimise them like the feral druids cat look. BUT what kind of pet would it be?
It's a gun from what I hear. Would love for it to have been pet-related though.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Would be cool if the upgraded version allowed you to summon two pets at once or something :D that's always been my dream, as a BEASTmaster. How badass would it be to see some hunter running around with two wolves on either side of them, or a wolf and a tiger.

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Araucaria
Realm: Ghostlands

Unread post by Araucaria »

Id like some of these to be added, though some are not really likely to appear:
-A spirit stag /moose, maybe a rare with a spectral skin of the pandaria model?
-More proto-drake models, possibly some tamable, since the Vrykul can have them as pets
-Maybe more saber-toothed wolves, like the one in Howling Fjord
-Some demonic beasts would be nice, and a way to get to them like that of gara
-Pythons or snakes could be made tamable, with the coming of nagas

Also, naga-themed pets could have some book like the Ancient Tome of Dinomancy for direhorns, and the artifact weapon could give some more interaction with the pets, the way the ability Eyes of the Beast did.

However, I can never predict what will happen in WoW, and Blizz always ends up surprising me for the good :)
Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Sha'Halo

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Bambu wrote:
HunterFTW wrote:Something that's been wondering in my head. considering Gara in Wod. whos to say that the BM hunter artifact would possibly have something to do with Pets. and even more so costimise them like the feral druids cat look. BUT what kind of pet would it be?
There's an image of a bow, in the concept art that upgrades a few different ways.

I'm betting BM get the bow and "Marksmen" get the gun.

Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Still holding out hope for centipedes, but I'm not really optimistic. I thought WoD would be it, because of them being a perfect fit to Tanaan and them being part of the WoD CE, but it didn't happen. It might still happen - just saying that the circumstances aren't calling for one like with WoD.
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Bambu wrote:
There's an image of a bow, in the concept art that upgrades a few different ways.

Nah. Actually, it looks like MM gets the bow, BM the gun.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Pepsi Jedi wrote:

Nah. Actually, it looks like MM gets the bow, BM the gun.[/quote]

Why? "Marksmen" are snipers. You snipe with a gun.

Is there something I haven't read that indicates MM Get the bow?

Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Ahh. Saw the other thread with the bow... It says' Hunter bow"

But there is a nod to making someone an excellent marksman....

Ugg.. I hope it's open to both, i.e. we get the choice of gun or bow... The gun in the image looked ugly and if I'm stuck with it all expansion I'mma be pissed. I wanted the snazzy bow.

Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I don't see marksmen as snipers with guns... I see Marksmen as archers or rangers with elegant bows, standing back from a distance pelting their enemies with arrows.

Beastmasters make me think of Hemet; a big game hunter that loves bringing down trophies with a gun. More savage, like their companions.

I prefer bows for my BM hunter as it fits her character more, but I see why Blizz made their choices. No need to fear though, you can transmog your artifact weapon.

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Dwarf marksmen use guns, Elf would use bow. I think the bow/gun distinction isn't based on "spec" but racial preference imo. We can mog over them anyway so it should be fine :D.

It does look like the weapons for BM will actually be a weapon, but making it about our pets would be so cool! Something that lets BM use two pets (like the NPCs in Ashran).
Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Thing is I -want- the epic bow. I don't want an epic gun, mogged to look like a non epic bow. I mean I'll do it. I just don't much like the idea.

I'm hoping we get the option.

Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

I'm with you there, Pepsi Jedi, but unfortunately we won't be able to transmog anything to look like an artifact weapon. So we can keep our BM guns transmogged to a pre-Legion item, but can't transmog the gun into the bow.

Anyway, taking this back on topic, I'm also expecting some kind of Emerald Dream creature (we are going into a realm of endless forest paradise, how could there not be some unique creatures there?) as well as a wolverine-like creature that we never got in WoD.