Hunter Talents and Spell Changes

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Hunter Talents and Spell Changes

Unread post by Equeon »

The new hunter talents and spell changes are out, bringing major changes to all three specs! Check them out below.
This main post will be free of commentary or speculation. I'll try to keep this updated throughout the beta unless a more official thread is made and stickied.

New Spells and Talents
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Universal Spells
All hunters have access to these spells.
  • • Aspect of the Cheetah: Increases your movement speed by 90% for 3 sec, and then for 30% for another 9 sec. (1 min cooldown)

• Aspect of the Turtle: You deflect all attacks and take 30% less damage for 8 sec, but you cannot attack. (3 min cooldown)

• Exhilaration: Instantly heal yourself for 50% of max health.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Beast Mastery Spells
  • • Wild Call: Your critical strikes have a 30% chance to reset the cooldown of Dire Beast.

• Cobra Shot: A quick shot that causes 125% Physical damage.

• Aspect of the Wild: Increases the Critical Strike chance of all skills for you and your pet by 10%, and gain 10 Focus per second for 10 sec.
New Beast Mastery Talent Choices

Level 15
  • • One with the Pack: The chance for Wild Call to reset the cooldown of Dire Beast is increased by 10%.
    or
    • Way of the Cobra: For every pet or guardian you have active, Cobra Shot deals an additional 5% damage.
    or
    • Dire Stable: Dire Beast generate 4 extra focus when they attack.
Level 60
  • • Chimaera Shot: A two-headed shot that hits your primary target and another nearby target, dealing 660% Nature or Frost damage to each target.
    Generates 10 Focus for every target hit.
    or
    • Stomp!: When your Dire Beasts charge in, they will stomp the ground, causing 400% Physical damage to all nearby enemies.
    or
    • Exotic Munitions (Existing)
Level 75
  • • Big Game Hunter: Increases the critical strike chance of your Auto-Attacks and Cobra Shots by 50% on targets who are above 80% health.
    or
    • Bestial Fury: Increase the damage bonus of Bestial Wrath by 20%.
    or
    • Blink Strikes (Existing)
Level 90
  • • A Murder of Crows (Existing)
    or
    • Barrage (Existing)
    or
    • Volley: Continuously fire a volley of ammo at the target area, causing 50 Arcane damage to enemy targets within 8 yards every second for 6 sec.
Level 100
  • • Aspect of the Beast: Kill Command is improved based on the Talent choice of your pet.
    • Ferocity
      Give the command to kill, causing your pet to instantly inflict [1.5 * (1 + (Ranged attack power * 1.632)) * 1 * (1 + $versadmg)] damage to its target, and causing it to bleed for 6 damage over 6 sec. 25 yard range.
      Tenacity
      Give the command to kill, causing your pet to instantly inflict [1.5 * (1 + (Ranged attack power * 1.632)) * 1 * (1 + $versadmg)] damage to its target, and reducing damage taken by 15% for the next until cancelled. 25 yard range.
      Cunning
      Give the command to kill, causing your pet to instantly inflict [1.5 * (1 + (Ranged attack power * 1.632)) * 1 * (1 + $versadmg)] damage to its target, and slowing them for until cancelled. 25 yard range.
    or
    • Killer Cobra: While Bestial Wrath is active, Cobra Shot has a 25% chance to reset the cooldown of Kill Command.
    or
    • Stampede: (Existing) (Now 3 min cooldown)
New Marksmanship Spells and Talents ~ spell and talent separation in progress
  • • Piercing Shots: Your critical strikes with Arcane Shot, Marked Shot and Aimed Shot cause the target to bleed for an additional 30% of the initial damage over 8 sec.

• Arcane Shot: A quick shot that causes 125% Arcane damage, and generates 5 Focus.

• Marked Shot: Rapidly fires a shot at up to 3 targets affected by Hunter's Mark, dealing 350% Physical damage. Usable while moving.
    Also exposes Vulnerabilities in the target, snaring them by 15%, and increasing Aimed Shot damage done to the target by 25%. Lasts 10 sec, and stacks up to 3 times.

• Seek Vulnerabilities: Targets hit by your Arcane Shot and Multi-Shot have a chance to be marked with Hunter's Mark.

• Dark Ranger: Your ranged attacks and attacks which deal damage over time now have a chance to summon a Dark Minion. The Dark Minion will attack your current target.

• Bursting Shot: Fire an explosion of bolts that strikes all enemies in front of you, knocking them back and disorienting them, and dealing 40% Physical damage.

• Sniper Training: Critical strike damage and range of all shots is increased by 5%.

• Trueshot: Increases haste by 40%, and chance for targets to be Marked by 100% for 15 sec.

• Steady Focus: Using Arcane Shot twice in a row increases your Focus Regeneration by 50% for 10 sec.

• Farstrider: Disengage now has 2 charges.

• Black Arrow: Fires a Black Arrow at the target, dealing 0 damage over 0.

• Head Shot: A powerful shot which deals 820 + (1 * ComboPoints) Physical damage to the target and 220 + (1 * ComboPoints)% Physical damage to all enemies between you and the target.

• Camouflage: You blend into the surroundings and gain stealth for 1 min. While camouflaged, you will heal for 2% every 1 secs.
    The first ranged attack dealt while camouflaged will deal 10% extra damage.

• Lock and Load: Attach an explosive charge to Aimed Shot, dealing [(Attack power * 0.47 * 1.1 * (1 + $versadmg) * 1)] additional Fire damage to the target and all enemies within 4 yds.
    Your ranged auto attacks have a 5% chance to trigger Lock and Load, causing your next two Aimed Shots to cost no Focus and be instant.

• Kill Flip: For 8 sec after Disengaging, you deal 50% more damage.

• Broadside: Aimed Shot will now also hit all Vulnerable targets for 100% Physical damage.

• Momentum: When any of your attacks cause a critical strike there is a chance the cooldown of Disengage will be reduced by 10%.

• Light Em Up: Targets affected by your Flare take extra damage from all of your attacks.

• True Aim: For every successive Arcane, Marked or Aimed Shot used to attack the same target, those Shots deal 2% more damage to the target, stacking up to 20 times. Can only affect one target at a time.
New Survival Spells and Talents ~ spell and talent separation in progress
  • • Laceration: Tear a wound in the target, dealing (1159.2% of Attack power) damage over 12 sec.

• Raptor Strike: A vicious slash, dealing 150% Physical damage.

• Aspect of the Eagle: Increases the Critical Strike chance of all skills for you and your pet by 10%, and increase your chance to gain charges of Mongoose Bite by 100% for 10 sec.

• Freezing Trap: Hurl a frost trap to the target location that locks down first enemy that approaches, incapacitating them for up to 1 min.
    Any damage caused will break the trap. Only one target can be Freezing Trapped at a time. Trap will exist until cancelled.
    Traps share cooldown.

• Tar Trap: Hurl a tar trap to the target location that creates an pool of tar around itself for 30 sec when the first enemy approaches it.
    All enemies within 10 yards will be slowed by 50% while in the area of effect. Trap will exist for 1 min.
    Traps share cooldown.

• Explosive Trap: Launch a fire trap to the target location that explodes when an enemy approaches, causing 1 Fire damage and burning all enemies within 5 yards for 1 additional Fire damage over 5 sec. Trap will exist for 1 min.
    Traps share cooldown.

• Improved Traps: Reduce the cooldown of all traps by 15 seconds.

• Steel Trap: Hurl a Steel Trap to the target location that immobilizes the first enemy that approaches for 8 sec and deals 0 bleed damage over 20 sec.
    Damage from other sources may break the immobilization effect. Trap will exist for 1 min.
    Replaces Freezing Trap.

• Caltrops: Scatter Caltrops on an area. Enemies who step on a Caltrop will take 500 Physical damage, and be slowed by 50% for 10 sec.
    Replaces Tar Trap.

• Dragonsfire Trap: Hurl a dragonsfire trap to the target location that explodes, setting the enemy aflame, inflicting 0 Fire damage over 8 sec. and sending it into a state of panic.
    While the target is affected, the flames periodically scorch its nearby allies for 270 damage as well. Trap will exist for 1 min.
    Replaces Explosive Trap.

• Expert Trapper: All of your traps are improved in the following ways:
    • Freezing Trap
      When your Freezing Trap breaks, the victim and all neaby enemies' movement speed is reduced by 50% for 4 sec.
      Explosive Trap
      The damage dealt by the fire left on the ground after the explosion is increased by 500 per second.
      Tar Trap
      Enemies moving through the tar have a chance to be rooted in place for 4 sec.
      Steel Trap
      When your Steel Trap is triggered, the target will also take 500 Physical Damage.
      Dragonsfire Trap
      The Dragonsfire now spreads to nearby enemies, causing them to burn and panic as well.
    • Muzzle: Interrupts spellcasting, preventing any spell in that school from being cast for 3 sec.

• Carve: A sweeping attack that strikes all enemies in front of you for 90% Physical damage.

• Camouflage: You and your pet blend into the surroundings and gain stealth for 1 min. While camouflaged, you will heal for 2% every 1 secs.
    The first attack dealt while camoflaged will deal 10% extra damage.

• Harpoon: Hurl a harpoon at your target and pull yourself toward them, rooting them in place for 3 sec.

• Mongoose Bite: A brutal attack, attempting to sever the enemy's limbs, dealing 350% Physical damage.
    Each consecutive Mongoose Bite dealt within 3.50 sec of the last will deal 50% increased damage, stacking up to 6 times.

• Sticky Bomb: Hurl a sticky bomb at your target which sticks to them, and explodes after 3 sec dealing 1 damage to nearby enemies and knocking them down.

• Mastery: Hunting Companion: Your pets attacks have a 4.0% chance to grant you an additional charge of Mongoose Bite.

• Hatchet Toss: Toss a hatchet at an enemy target, dealing (10% of Attack power) Physical damage.

• Wing Clip: Maims the target, reducing their movement speed by 50% for 15 sec.

• Butchery: Laceration will now spread to all targets hit by Carve.

• Dash: The duration of Aspect of the Cheetah is increased by 3 seconds.

• Ranger's Net: Hurl a net at your enemy, reducing movement speed by 50% for 15 sec.
    Replaces Wing Clip.

• Throwing Axes: Toss 3 Axes at your enemy target, dealing 0 Physical damage for each axe.

• Mortal Wounds: When your Laceration periodic deals damage, theres a chance you will gain a charge of Mongoose Bite.

• Snake Hunter: Instantly grants you 3 charges of Mongoose Bite.

• Way of the Mok'Nathal: Attacking with Raptor Strike grants you a stack of Mok'Nathal Tactics, increasing your attack power by 5% for 8 sec. Stacks 5 times.

• Flanking Strike: You and your pet attack the target simultaneously. You deal 250% Physical damage, and your pet deals [1.5 * (1 + (Ranged attack power * 1.632)) * 1 * (1 + $versadmg)] damage.
    If the target is attacking you, your pet's attack will deal 50% increased damage and threat. If not, your attack will deal 50% increased damage.

• (Ability Name Missing): Flanking strike has double the normal chance to trigger Hunting Companion.

• Animal Instincts: When you attack with Flanking Strike, you gain the instincts of your pet, providing you with a random combat enhancement.
• Sentry Turret: Summons a Sentry Turret for 15 sec that shoots at nearby enemies, dealing Fire damage.
Spell Changes
General Spell Changes

• Aspect of the Cheetah changed to have a faster speed boost with a longer cooldown

• Deterrence likely changed to Aspect of the Turtle, may only have one charge
  • • Arcane Shot removed for BM/Surv

• Camouflage removed for BM, available as a talent for MM/Surv

• Freezing Trap and Explosive Trap removed for BM/MM

• Trueshot Aura removed

• Chimaera Shot Changed to BM only, now generates 10 focus

• Kill Shot removed for all specs

• Tranquilizing Shot removed for all specs?
Beast Mastery Spell Changes
  • • Dire Beast: Summons a powerful wild beast to attack your target for 15 8 sec. Each time the beast deals damage, you will gain 2 Focus. 4 Focus. Summoning a beast reduces the remaining cooldown of Bestial Wrath by 15 sec.

• Beast Cleave: After you Multi-Shot, your pet's melee attacks and their multistrikes also strike all other nearby enemy targets for 75% 100% as much for the next 4 sec.

• Bestial Wrath: Sends you and your pet into a rage for 10 sec, Your pet deals 20% additional damage and breaks all loss of control effects. You deal 10% more damage and your shots cost 50% less Focus. increasing the damage you both deal by 20%
Marksmanship Spell Changes
  • • Aimed Shot: A powerful aimed shot that deals 500% Physical damage. Castable while moving. 435% Physical damage. Now 1.5 second cast time, down from 2.5 seconds

• Lone Wolf: Your damage dealt with Auto Shot, Steady Shot and Aimed Shot is increased by 30%.
Survival Spell Changes
  • • Serpent Sting: Targets hit by your Multi-Shot and Arcane Shot Raptor Strike and Carve are also afflicted by Serpent Sting, dealing 362.5% of Attack power 5 Nature damage over 15 sec.

• Survivalist: Increases the damage of your multistrikes by 20%. After killing a target, you and your pet gain 15% health over 10 sec.
Last edited by Equeon on Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Re: Hunter Spell Changes

Unread post by Rawr »

So wait I get some Aspects back? :shock: :mrgreen:

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Re: Hunter Spell Changes

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

If I loose aspect the of the cheetah (without a similar run speed boost) I'll be so very... Very very sad :(

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Re: Hunter Talents and Spell Changes

Unread post by Kalliope »

It's nice to see some familiar spell names and effects returning! :D

Looks like I'll have to decide how I want to handle PvP after all, since all the fabulous utility skills are working their way into those trees.

Thanks for posting!

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Can't say I am happy about loosing my stealth...I use that A LOT!!!
Loosing AotC as well...so now I can't even move fast (well AotP, but if that still dazzes...)

What am I then? Beast master of a neon tortoise?

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Makoes wrote:Can't say I am happy about loosing my stealth...I use that A LOT!!!
Loosing AotC as well...so now I can't even move fast (well AotP, but if that still dazzes...)

What am I then? Beast master of a neon tortoise?
Alright I am peeved about losing camo if this goes live. I literally use it every day. I solo a lot of old raids and with it I can skip so much trash, and even in current content just getting around or questing is more convenient. It's an abillity that's second nature to me now. :/ And if we have no cheetah or pack on top of that, well that's half of my mobility for getting around...
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

I hope BM gets stealth via pet. Maybe cat's prowl or SB's spirit walk could give us that, it would be awesome.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

pop wrote:I hope BM gets stealth via pet. Maybe cat's prowl or SB's spirit walk could give us that, it would be awesome.
That would be a really wonderful equivalent I think, and fit the spec well. I do hope they're giving us something because...really camouflage is such an iconic hunter spell now. I'll be so angry to lose it.
Kalliope

Not having stealth isn't the worst thing in the world when it comes to old raids and such - we've still got feign! I'm more concerned about running around in the world in BM spec on a PvP server. I've used camo to avoid fights before. :/

YouTube Edition

Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Since I'm trying to keep the main page information only, I thought I'd share my initial thoughts in the comments.

<Disclaimer acknowledging this is information datamined from before the closed beta is even released, and subject to major changes or additions>

<Counter disclaimer pointing out that discussion for currently unimplemented content is rarely a bad thing, and that the point of beta is for the developers to hear players' feedback>

<Final disclaimer warning of rant below anyway>

Moving on...

Marksmanship looks like a lot of fun. With the new Disengage changes and talents, it looks like Blizzard wants the "class fantasy" to be similar to Sylvanas in the new cinematic, leaping around and firing arrows with great agility. The talents all look very interesting, from a Dark Ranger-esque spooky skeleton summon, to shooting a flare at your target before gunning them down, to putting down a sentry turret! Wow.

Survival seems pretty great, too. I really like the talents to change your baseline traps, and the synergy with your pet is awesome. You'll be fighting up close and personal, getting bloody and fighting savagely alongside your bestial companion. The harpoons, nets, and caltrops combined with Camouflage leads me to believe that playing Survival will feel like you're the Predator, if the Predator had a dog.

Beast Mastery seems... less than stellar.
Once again, I know it's not even beta. More talents can be added, and the spells can be changed at any time. But despite knowing this, I couldn't help but feel extremely disappointed. Beastmasters are losing currently universal hunter spells: Camouflage, Aspect of the Cheetah, traps, as well as most of their existing play style: no more Cobra Strikes, Cobra Shot regen, Frenzy, or Focus Fire. Bestial Wrath no longer breaks your pet out of CC or grants you reduced Focus cost on abilities.

What do we get instead? DIRE BEASTS. Almost every new ability or talent interacts with Dire Beast. Crits reduce cooldown on Dire Beast. Dire beasts reduce cooldown of BW. Dire beasts do more damage when they're summoned.
But when it comes down to it, the Dire Beast is just a visual way to gain a slight damage boost. You can't control it. You can't activate any special abilities on it. It only lasts for 8 seconds, but it looks like you'll be able to call several beasts at a time with the right talents.
To me, it feels more like how the new Demonology spec was described: summoning hordes of minions for a short period of time, that augment your abilities in some ways.

Meanwhile, Survival, the spec that is specifically being redesigned to be about becoming a rugged trapper, has no less than five new spells based around the hunter and the pet directly interacting with each other, with one's attacks enhancing the others, the ability to "gain the instincts of your pet, providing you with a random combat enhancement" (SERIOUSLY HOW IS THIS NOT A BM ABILITY), the pet granting you bonus charges on your abilities, etc.

If I wanted to summon swarms of random creatures that do not hold any special bond to my character beyond damage and minor utility, I would play a Demonology warlock. Where is the new pet CC to make up for the loss of traps? Where are the abilities that cause our pets to do special attacks with unique visuals, like the removed Lynx Rush? Instead of customizing my non-BM hunter's fantasy with skeletal minions, caltrops, or turrets, where are the abilities that give us summons providing unique utility? Or to customize our existing pets' buffs like so many have asked for?

I hope BM isn't going to get the short end of the stick this expansion. I hope that the Gamescon revelation of multiple Marksman and Survival artifact types, while only offering a single blurry picture of a gun alongside all the other class artifacts isn't an indicator of how much attention each spec will get. I hope that this datamining won't foreshadow BM being forced into an awkward middle ground, lacking a core identity compared to "lone ranger" and "rugged tracker with a loyal companion" in favor of a "confused tracker who is very in touch with nature and shares a close bond with exotic creatures, but also loves shooting them the crap out of them with big noisy guns."

With Camo/Cheetah/Traps and Focus Fire/Frenzy removed, and the extreme focus on summoning Dire Beasts, I'm going to feel a lot less like a beastmaster hunter, and more like a guy that shouts loud enough to scare a bunch of random animals into fighting for him while occasionally getting very angry.

For now, I'm going to take a deep breath, remind myself once again that the beta isn't even out yet, and hope that only BM's passive talents and abilities made it into this build (which is what it looks like) and that the rest are on their way.

Whew! That's all I've got for now. :roll:
Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind

Unread post by Bendak »

I found a lot of the data confusing in its current state, so I endeavored to filter out the talents from it. Some of it is educated guesswork since we have no way to truly separate a talent or regular ability as of now. Some of these may end up being baseline passives for certain specs. There's no way to be 100% sure until we see the beta.

Anyway, enjoy:

http://eyesofthebeast.com/2015/11/preli ... in-legion/

It's crazy how many new talents they are putting out!
Eyes of the Beast - My Hunter Blog
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

With no flying, I would prefer to have stealth...
Bangeall
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Doomhammer EU

Unread post by Bangeall »

I was fairly ok with BM losing traps and Cobra shot, but losing Cheetah and Camo? I agree with Equeon, it's starting to look like we're getting the short end of the stick. And why change Stampede? I'm not going to freak out just yet, but I really hope these changes don't make it to live. We're supposed to be the mobility class, are we not? That should be for every spec. I know they want to make the specs distinct, but there are also things that are common across specs, like hunters being stealthy and agile.
SetsunaChan
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by SetsunaChan »

The thing is we seem to be not loosing Aspect of the Cheetah but getting a new version!

Behold!!
Aspect of the Cheetah: Increases your movement speed by 90% for 3 sec, and then for 30% for another 9 sec.
Also Deterrence is getting a new name.
Aspect of the Turtle: You deflect all attacks and take 30% less damage for 8 sec, but you cannot attack.
link to wowheads spell changes http://www.wowhead.com/news=250045/legi ... ies#hunter

So thankfully we are not loosing cheetah, as for Camo. :oops: I kind of hardly ever used it minus for pvp purposes.
Kalliope

Okay, Aspect of the Turtle is an adorable name and I wholeheartedly approve of this cosmetic change.

It seems like a bunch of classes are getting spell renames to have more of that sort of flavor; I like that concept.

YouTube Edition

Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind

Unread post by Bendak »

One thing to note about Aspect of the Turtle compared to Deterrence: Deterrence had 2 charges, this appears to only have the one (judging by tooltip). It does last 3 seconds longer, but that doesn't make up for the loss of a charge.

Keep in mind that Exhilaration is now baseline for all 3 specs, so it sort of makes up for it in a way. I wonder what happened to Spirit Bond though... that would be a massive QOL downgrade if we couldn't get it.
Last edited by Bendak on Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyes of the Beast - My Hunter Blog
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

I kind of like aspect of the cheetah as it is now, but these other talents seem fun. Just going to take awhile to get used to everything..

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Kalliope

Bendak wrote:One thing to note about Aspect of the Turtle compared to Deterrence: Deterrence had 2 charges, this appears to only have the one (judging by tooltip). It does last 3 seconds longer, but that doesn't make up for the loss of a charge.

Keep in mind that Exhilaration is now baseline for all 3 specs, so it sort of makes up for it in a way. I wonder what happened to Spirit Bond though... that would be a massive QOL downgrade if we couldn't get it.
Fair points, although deterrence having multiple charges at all hadn't always been the case! So I'm personally less bothered by that. Exhilaration is another nice option, now that it's baseline.

I hope spirit bond's still around; that's a great favorite. :/

YouTube Edition

Pewmew
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: aegwynn

Unread post by Pewmew »

I still feel they are misusing the term Aspect.

In the past Aspects were always on until cancelled or another aspect overwrote it. All of these new "Aspects" have fixed short durations.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |