I has a sad - pre-WOD set bonuses deactivated in Legion

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

I has a sad - pre-WOD set bonuses deactivated in Legion

Unread post by Quiv »

Per beta notes, under itemization: http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/4114 ... tch-notes/

Was something broken because of this? Something out in the world or?

My main concern is Timewalking. Using old sets in TW made it enjoyable. Old sets certainly are no more broken than the active sets (MoP and WoD) will be, so it can't be that. I've seen current raiders keep up with me and surpass on all the toons I've created min/max TW sets for, even when I'm using old legendaries.

Creating the TW sets was 90% of the fun of TW for me. Its obviously just a novelty difficulty, not meant to be a real test of skill. The most challenge you get out of it is a few obnoxious mob packs (I'm looking at the hill past Ick in Pit of Saron). So it can't be that old set bonuses trivialize TW, they don't trivialize it anymore than current sets do, and its a trivial difficulty anyway. So surely the change can't be due to old sets in TW.

I can't figure out why they would make this change. Hopefully legendary procs still work, and old gear still has the gem slots, but man farming and mix and matching the set bonuses was the funnest part. :( :cry:
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: I has a sad - pre-WOD set bonuses deactivated in Legion

Unread post by Wain »

I can only think it's because they're altering the classes so severely in Legion that old set bonuses may or may not make any sense anymore, so they're just removing them all to keep it simple. Their progress to date make me believe they're desperate to finalize the class restructure, to the point of some specs severely lacking in variety and colour. I think they're riding out any criticism of that, unless it's something that can be fixed with a numbers tweak, because they don't have the time and resources to address anything that requires more work, and it's too late to go back. So I think going back to fix up old set bonuses would be completely out of the question to them.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if half of them had already been shifted to 7.1 work and a quarter to 8.0 :P OK, maybe not yet, but you get the idea :P
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Wain wrote:I can only think it's because they're altering the classes so severely in Legion that old set bonuses may or may not make any sense anymore, so they're just removing them all to keep it simple. Their progress to date make me believe they're desperate to finalize the class restructure, to the point of some specs severely lacking in variety and colour. I think they're riding out any criticism of that, unless it's something that can be fixed with a numbers tweak, because they don't have the time and resources to address anything that requires more work, and it's too late to go back. So I think going back to fix up old set bonuses would be completely out of the question to them.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if half of them had already been shifted to 7.1 work and a quarter to 8.0 :P OK, maybe not yet, but you get the idea :P
Basically that, yeah. Many classes are being altered.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

I'm really bummed about it too. I enjoyed having legendaries in my TW sets and other fun trinkets, it really felt rewarding again. My guess is its the reason Wain covered, due to the way how classes have changed so much. But I wish it didn't have to be that way :(

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

I think legendary effects will still work in timewalker, just not set bonuses. I was bummed when I read that, but TBH even though I built my twink sets with a couple of set bonuses, I don't even remember what they are. In fact, the only set bonus I ever thought "I should keep this armor in case this bonus is useful" was a feral bonus that let me aggro a mob from like 60-80 yards away (good for charging up cliffs). But I haven't used it, and think blizz might have changed the bonus anyways.

But with the way all the class abilities are changing, it would take a long time to go through and change all the bonuses, and make sure there's no game breaking ones. Unless they made every single set bonus match the HFC LFR bonuses. But leaving the old bonus text on them is good for nostalgia, so either way I think I'll ok with it.
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Not like they haven't changed those bonus' before why don't they just change them again? :mrgreen:

Albain
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Albain »

Because they'd have to invent entirely new bonuses for say, Survival, on every set that's ever come out in the game and I can understand that being an annoying amount of work when they might want to use those awesome new set bonus ideas for the future instead of the past.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Wain wrote:I can only think it's because they're altering the classes so severely in Legion that old set bonuses may or may not make any sense anymore, so they're just removing them all to keep it simple. Their progress to date make me believe they're desperate to finalize the class restructure, to the point of some specs severely lacking in variety and colour. I think they're riding out any criticism of that, unless it's something that can be fixed with a numbers tweak, because they don't have the time and resources to address anything that requires more work, and it's too late to go back. So I think going back to fix up old set bonuses would be completely out of the question to them.

I never thought of this. I always figure changes are due to balance, but this is a very technical reason. I hate it but I get it.