Dread Ravens - Potential Tamability /Ideas

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Re: Dread Ravens - Potential Tamability /Ideas

Unread post by Lupen202 »

Someone brought up a point in the other thread that I tend to agree with - we use Dread ravens as mounts, and one could say that is far more demeaning than having them as a companion fighting by our sides. Same story with drakes/cloud serpents and why I think the whole sentient argument is a weak one. Using them as pets is enslavement but forcing them to carry us around on their backs with saddles and reins in their mouth isn't...? Though I like to pretend that both my pets and mounts are more like companions than anything and choose to stay loyal.

I too wish we got a neat quest line during WoD, where we had to prove ourselves to the arrakoa somehow to obtain the ability to tame Dread ravens. But as said the time for that is most likely over. Most we could hope for at this point is them just saying screw it and tagging them as tameable... Or perhaps they could still add a tome purchasable once exalted with the Arrakoa. But even then, I'm not holding my breath unless we see the dread raven model again in the future.
Last edited by Lupen202 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Yeah I'm gonna go with they are no more sentient/sacred/etc than the Silithid we have been taming since wrath, in fact even less so than the Silithid personally. Similar to Wain, I've not seen them as anymore than fauna, and not very special/unique apart from their affinity to the Arakkoa. But thats like saying Tauren have an affinity with Kodos. They have a nice theme but...

And sure they may be considered sacred by the Arakkoa, but just because some believe something is sacred, doesn't actually make it so for everyone... Other wise all our wonderful Hindu friends are in for a rude shock when they walk into burger king :P

And taking into consideration the "But they are all his children", after my parents dragging me to church as a child, I'm still not sold that God is my "Father", "Maker" nor my "King" :lol:

That said, If they wish to make them out to be more than they appear, that fine too, it's their game, and if we need rep or something else to make them become tamable I'm all for it. It's just a waste for such a wonderful model to not be tamable

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Lupen202 wrote:Someone brought up a point in the other thread that I tend to agree with - we use Dread ravens as mounts, and one could say that is far more demeaning than having them as a companion fighting by our sides.
Agreed. Not only do we use them as mounts, but we actually mount Anzu himself in the main universe. Killing Anzu in Sethekk Halls has a chance to drop "Reins of the Raven Lord". So I agree, I don't think the lore for dread ravens is strong enough (personally) to say 'they're sacred" or "they're the children of Anzu, that's why you can't tame them." Because heck, if the problem is they're the children of Anzu, then riding Anzu like a horse has to rank somewhere near the top of 'sacrilege to the arrakoa' scale.

But on another note, that same lore didn't stop Rexxar from having Nisha. And as someone else pointed out, we tame Kaliri and they're the children of Rukhmar. And the wind serpents, children of Sethe.

But as Spiritbinder said. It's their game, if Blizz wants to argue the lore that way, hey. Whatever. It's all good. It would just be really nice to see that model used for more than quest fodder. XD

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

In regards to us killing Anzu and riding him, it isn't right out said to be him. Lorewise, there isn't much backing it.

For Rexxar, we don't know the story of how he and Nisha came together. Maybe he found a hatchling in Shadowmoon Valley - a place that has Dread Ravens, but no Arakkoa present. We just don't know.

The Kaliri are the children of Rukhmar, but they are viewed by the Arakkoa as pets, messengers, etc. Plus Rukhmar doesn't have much say in the matter now, being dead and all. And not all Wind Serpents are Sethe's children, just the dead skeleton ones on Draenor. Explain how they got from Draenor to Azeroth, seeing as they have been on Azeroth thousands of years before any connection between the two planets was forged?

With the Drakes, it depends on which Drakes. For your normal drake, they are sapient and able to make the decision on whether or not to be a mount. Those that we have as mounts most likely made the decision to be such. As for Proto Drakes, they have the mentality of beasts. And so long as we don't torture them or anything, then the Dragonflights won't have any issue with us using them as mounts. In the Chronicles, there is a section regarding the Proto Drakes and the Aspects. When the Winterscorn Tribe - a group of ancient Vrykul - enslaved and tortured the Proto Drakes, Ysera and Nozdormu let loose their flights on the Winterscorn. They killed many of the Tribe, and put the rest into an eternal slumber beneath Northrend.

For Cloud Serpents, they have to be raised from hatchlings in order to be tamed. You can't just go out and get a adult Cloud Serpent to be your mount, for they are far too wild.

For the Dread Raven mounts, one of them is fel-corrupted. I highly doubt the Arakkoa would be upset with us using those ones as mounts. If anything, they'd probably prefer we'd put them down. As for the normal Dread Raven mount, it is hard to say without much background to it. We didn't acquire it from an Arakkoa for reaching a certain rep; we got it for paying $10 extra to get it in the Deluxe Edition.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Rikaku wrote:
Lupen202 wrote:Someone brought up a point in the other thread that I tend to agree with - we use Dread ravens as mounts, and one could say that is far more demeaning than having them as a companion fighting by our sides.
Agreed. Not only do we use them as mounts, but we actually mount Anzu himself in the main universe. Killing Anzu in Sethekk Halls has a chance to drop "Reins of the Raven Lord". So I agree, I don't think the lore for dread ravens is strong enough (personally) to say 'they're sacred" or "they're the children of Anzu, that's why you can't tame them." Because heck, if the problem is they're the children of Anzu, then riding Anzu like a horse has to rank somewhere near the top of 'sacrilege to the arrakoa' scale.

But on another note, that same lore didn't stop Rexxar from having Nisha. And as someone else pointed out, we tame Kaliri and they're the children of Rukhmar. And the wind serpents, children of Sethe.

But as Spiritbinder said. It's their game, if Blizz wants to argue the lore that way, hey. Whatever. It's all good. It would just be really nice to see that model used for more than quest fodder. XD
As someone said, we don't know if that is Anzu directly. If it is, he's also feral in mind so he's....not really much more than an animal at that point since the Sethik were pretty much draining him to death and insanity.

Also just because they're mounts doesn't mean it's demeaning. We could've befriended them, aka a rep grind/quest. Also I'm not sure where the sentient argument came in since that...wasn't something I remember being brought up?

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Junrei wrote:Also I'm not sure where the sentient argument came in since that...wasn't something I remember being brought up?
Like I said in my post...
SpiritBinder wrote:Similar to Wain
whom previously said...
Wain wrote:They're really not very smart (aside from special ones) or holy.
so yeah, I've never saw them as overly intelligent/aware/sentient, just birds that have an strong affinity with the Arakkoa.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Oh that and his comment about them crapping everywhere. *snorts* XD

LisaaraPokefarm

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

To me, which this has already been stated somewhat, dread ravens seem about as intelligent as any other WoW bird of prey /carrion bird. I feel protodrakes are the same to be honest. Although Blizz says the proto's are "semi-sapient" which could be claimed in a way with the large rocs /dread ravens.
But they just really seem like over grown eagles / owls.

I say they have a spell or learned trait maybe by the Arakkoa to enable to tame them.

Disclaimer: I sincerely apologize if I am cloning someone's idea. I've allergies brain and didn't read all of the prior posts. :oops:

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Maybe like...

Step 1: Get honored with the Arrakoa (WoD, not BC)
Step 2: Get a quest from Anzu or his mate or a Ravenspeaker
Step 3: Complete the quest chain, learning about the Dreadravens and how to care for them as well as befriend them.
Step 4: Gain the ability to tame Dreadravens.

I would totally work for that and it makes the taming a bit more meaningful, I think.

LisaaraPokefarm

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Great idea Junrei (swear I still want to call you Jessibelle even after all these years :oops: ).

I wouldn't mind seeing something like the quest chain for Order of the Cloudserpent.
1) Get the quest from ............someone ........... :lol:
2) Find the missing /stolen dread raven egg.
3) Egg hatches in three days.
4) Care for chick (do more FUN quests). Quests increase Arakkoa rep
5) Adult bird becomes loving companion.

I would love to see hunter quests like the OotC quest chain to get the mount. To me it would really increase the bond with that specific pet too.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

XD Haha! You're not the only one.

Ye. That'd be cool too. I'm a sucker for class/lore stuff.

LisaaraPokefarm

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Junrei wrote:Maybe like...

Step 1: Get honored with the Arrakoa (WoD, not BC)
Step 2: Get a quest from Anzu or his mate or a Ravenspeaker
Step 3: Complete the quest chain, learning about the Dreadravens and how to care for them as well as befriend them.
Step 4: Gain the ability to tame Dreadravens.

I would totally work for that and it makes the taming a bit more meaningful, I think.
My exact thoughts on how it should go, Junrei :)
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I love these ideas and really think they should consider incorporating more unique ways to tame pets like this. The progression from challenge tames, to the Tome of Dinomancy, and then onto Gara were great steps of thinking outside the box.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Definitely. Like taming Gara, even on multiple hunters, made me bond with her in each of my hunters' stories and I love it.

LisaaraPokefarm