So I'm about to hit lv 60 for the first time...

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
gaghiel
Realm: Doomhammer

So I'm about to hit lv 60 for the first time...

Unread post by gaghiel »

Should I be excited because I can get my Devilsaur and Core Hound? From all the posts I've been reading its sounding like people aren't able to get them tamed properly til they're in the 70s.. Is this so or can a lowly lv 60ish grab them right out of the gate?

Are there best practices for catching tough to get baddies? Right now, I'm pretty good with the "grab a healer, drop a frost trap, hit him with daze and go for it" strategy, but I assume with the big bads that it'll be a lil more complicated.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: So I'm about to hit lv 60 for the first time...

Unread post by Vephriel »

Devilsaurs and Core Hounds are mainly only difficult to tame when you're going after one of the 'big' elites. King Mosh, King Krush, Molten Core Hound, The Beast. A regular Devilsaur can be frozen with a trap, so you should have no issues grabbing one.
gaghiel

Unread post by gaghiel »

So basically, only if I am going after the really tough guys will I need to change up my strategy a bit? Cool. I've heard a few things here and there that the big bosses like The Beast keep a little something extra when you tame them like the Skull rating or what have you, or Elite status. Is this true or is a core hound a core hound and a devilsaur a devilsaur? Im all about having some epic hunts, but if I can just grab a regular one for now, and then go back and get the cool one later, Id be up for that.
Vephriel

The Beast keeps a ?? level status, along with a Boss tag and the skull portrait. This does not mean he is stronger than other Core Hounds, he just happens to be the only pet that keeps something like that after taming. It's worth it for that alone in my opinion though. ^^ I have The Beast myself.

All pets are normalized after taming though. Just because you tame an elite or a boss does not make them different from any other pet. Some people will go after a rare Devilsaur just for the thrill of the tame even if they look like an ordinary one afterwards. :)

If you just want any Devilsaur from Un'Goro though, a freezing trap followed by tame beast will do the trick just fine. King Mosh can be nearly as difficult as King Krush as they are immune to freezing traps, and they hit like trucks.

You can get a green core hound in Outland fairly easily, though red ones will be slightly trickier.
gaghiel

Unread post by gaghiel »

I basically just want me a Redskin Devilsaur like Mosh cause they look pretty so I'll just grab a regular one for now. And I believe I shall plot and scheme my way into grabbing The Beast cause he was the one that I'd wanted all along. I have a few lv 80 friends that are more than willing to help me out when I need things so I've got some decent backup/support. Its just about having the guts/hp/knowhow to get there and do it.
Vephriel

Sounds like a good plan. :)

Here's a collective thread of a bunch of useful information for taming The Beast:
http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62
Nefretiti
Realm: Durotan US,Saurfang, Staghelm

Unread post by Nefretiti »

the trick with the beast to make it easier is stacking a metric asston of haste, pots,elexirs food et all .. he has a mean knockback he does approx every 10 seconds and an occational fear

the trick I used with my MC hound was bringing a pally buddy who built up about 30k or so threat, then i attacked the hound while the druid healed me, once i had more threat then the pally I could tame it without losing aggro to the healer, some of the hounds in MC does fear so haste and BW could be usefull in there as well or just keep at it till you get one that doesnt.

but I suggest waiting till like lvl 65 .. the MC hounds I think are like 62 or 63
Don't be afraid to go for your dreams.
Reach for the moon and if you miss it reach out and grab a star.

MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

Was gunna say, you can also get the white wolf corehound from the Draenei starting area...I NEVER see anyone with him.
Foru21dr
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Tanaris (Alliance) Nessingwary (Horde)

Unread post by Foru21dr »

I think there is a thread in here too that talks about the idea on how to tame king krush and king mosh. Their basically fear you and it breaks your tame. So it is also good to up your haste as best as you can. Use beastial wrath before you abandon your pet can get you by the first fear that is done. Can have a priest with you as well for casting of fear ward to try and get around the 2nd fear. Watch for aggro though that will be created by the priest with the cast
Nesingwary Petopians - Bitka, Quïll Xendral, Ximbol, Saehi, and Tryxter
Nesingwary Petopian Alliance - Sorree and Xylda

http://dragcave.net/user/foru21dr My Cave
Vephriel

MaximumOverdrive wrote:Was gunna say, you can also get the white wolf corehound from the Draenei starting area...I NEVER see anyone with him.
D'oh, I completely forgot to mention him! Yes, The Kurken is a great pet and really easy to tame. ^^
Siliverin
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nazgrel, Nesingwary, Dalaran

Unread post by Siliverin »

Vephriel wrote:
MaximumOverdrive wrote:Was gunna say, you can also get the white wolf corehound from the Draenei starting area...I NEVER see anyone with him.
D'oh, I completely forgot to mention him! Yes, The Kurken is a great pet and really easy to tame. ^^
so true and he is SOO pretty :D
Sig by Kurenio!
Anansi wrote:But OJC is just Old Jumper Cliff, a cranky old crazy guy who hops around making grunting noises to scare away children and small animals. Not sure if he's tamable, probably not.
Siliverin
Credit to Seilahyn and Kurenio for the avatars
gaghiel

Unread post by gaghiel »

Just finished reading through all those ideas. Wow, it sounds intense. Things have definitely changed since last I played (way back at the beginning of BC). I'll have to round up my friends and hope for the best. Good thing one of them is a pally!

Thanks for all the ideas! looks like I'll be busy once I finally ding...
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

The Beast is said to be a level 64 so if you're going for him bring as much haste gear, pots, food, elixir, trinkets and a good priest with you. He may be level 64 but he hits like 74.

I tamed King Dred (same skin as Mosh). It was not easy.

Start planning now if you're going for one of the big boys. Start buying stuff now too. lol

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Gumballs
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Gumballs »

I should also mention that if you are going for the normal, brown skinned devilsaurs, they also fear. I didn't know that and when I went to tame mine at 60 it took a lot of attempts because he kept breaking the tame. But it wasn't so bad. :)

And also the green core hounds are level 69, if you wanted one of those.

Good luck on getting The Beast any any other pet you decide to go for :)
Rejoined the hunt after a lengthy break... feels good!
Pawtrack
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Venture co., Duskwood, Hydraxis, Draka

Unread post by Pawtrack »

My experience with taming devilsaurs is just get at max range, set down a freezing trap, daze them and start taming. Works like a charm. :)

And gratz!!! :D /cheer

Death leads to life
Life leads to death

gaghiel

Unread post by gaghiel »

Hit lv 60! Wandered over to Un'Goro and all the devilsaurs were mia. So I wandered around for a while until someone gave me a tip they'd just seen one. Wandered over to where they said it was, and I didnt actually see it til it materialized right in front of me. I panicked, dropped a Freeze trap, and now I am the proud owner of a Black n Blue Devilsaur named Titanosaurus. At least until I head back eventually and find me a brown/red one. :D
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Yay, grats! Devilsaurs are really awesome pets, I love mine. :D

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.