Hunter Rotation

Everything Hunter-related, except pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Shaiandra
Realm: US WrA [A/H]

Hunter Rotation

Unread post by Shaiandra »

Has anyone cracked down on the formula in which what thing needs to be used?
I keep itching to arrange my action bars, but no one I know plays hunters so I can't mimic their key selections ><
I swear it feels like I just gatta watch my focus while just poking keys at random hoping I kill whatever I am killing without it killing my pet then me first lol.

To skies unflown,
To waters unexplored,
To paths not yet walked,
To creatures who have yet to run beside me,
I say to you, this challenge you give, I accept and conquer.

Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Re: Hunter Rotation

Unread post by Kalliope »

That's the vibe I'm getting! We're back to whack-a-mole, popping whatever cooldowns are available at the time.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Shaiandra
Realm: US WrA [A/H]

Unread post by Shaiandra »

I'm surprisingly good at that old arcade game, I miss that game...

To skies unflown,
To waters unexplored,
To paths not yet walked,
To creatures who have yet to run beside me,
I say to you, this challenge you give, I accept and conquer.

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

For BM, we are missing a spell with a cast timer that regenerate focus or at least doesn't use any focus but for meager damage. If we have that, then at least, even if we don't have a rotation, we have a priority shot. The problem with dire beast as focus regen, burst AND shorten BW cd is that you have no idea when to use it, because you would only want to use it after you used up some focus but you want to use it asap to reduce bw's regen. That's what I'm getting about dire beast
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by PrimalTazza »

I'm still trying to figure it out myself, but Survival's the really weird one right now. Unless you take the appropriate talents, you won't even use Raptor Strike in the rotation (as far as I know anyway, and it probably will only apply to the pre-patch), and you don't want to necessarily use Flanking Strike on cooldown, only to "keep from capping on focus" which gives me all kinda weird vibes considering its doubled chance to generate Mongoose Bite charges and its high damage.

And yeah, Icy-Veins is a good place to start, it had the above information and while it's a little weird, putting it to practice and comparing it to what I was doing when I tried to wing it solo had better results. I personally haven't looked at Icy-Vein's BM explanation, so I can't offer any insight there (though I should give it a look, I feel like I'm capping focus far more often than I should ever be).

Art of my character Tazza by Isei! http://isei-silva.tumblr.com

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Agreed. As I have mentioned in other threads, Icy Veins is the best place to go for rotations and talent choices.
Sigrah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Area 52

Unread post by Sigrah »

PrimalTazza wrote:I'm still trying to figure it out myself, but Survival's the really weird one right now. Unless you take the appropriate talents, you won't even use Raptor Strike in the rotation (as far as I know anyway, and it probably will only apply to the pre-patch), and you don't want to necessarily use Flanking Strike on cooldown, only to "keep from capping on focus" which gives me all kinda weird vibes considering its doubled chance to generate Mongoose Bite charges and its high damage.

And yeah, Icy-Veins is a good place to start, it had the above information and while it's a little weird, putting it to practice and comparing it to what I was doing when I tried to wing it solo had better results. I personally haven't looked at Icy-Vein's BM explanation, so I can't offer any insight there (though I should give it a look, I feel like I'm capping focus far more often than I should ever be).
Don't get too used to the current rotations for Hunters, or any other class for that matter. Blizzard designed these classes based on everyone being Level 110 and having their respective artifact weapons being talented various ways, so rotations are likely to change pretty heavily by the 1st week of Legion, if not sooner.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

That is true, Sigrah. But the rotations on Icy Veins will do for now, until the 30th :)
Sigrah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Sigrah »

Valnaaros wrote:That is true, Sigrah. But the rotations on Icy Veins will do for now, until the 30th :)
Yeah they will. Just adjust to suit your own style and run with it. Personally, I'm digging the whole survival spec, especially Harpoon. That ability is an absolute Godsend for melee DPSers, especially if you get knocked up into the air and want to avoid potentially fatal falling damage ;)
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Sigrah wrote:Just adjust to suit your own style and run with it.
This. 100%.

This is what I did with BM to be honest. Took icy vein's advice but adapted it to my personal play style and even, for the most part, kept my original rotation. I took pretty much the talents meant for the highest dps. But with the increase in haste I made I can now be continuously top 8 in dps in a raid. I'll worry about my mastery stats once we actually have Hati. Since right now technically at any given time I am guaranteed to only have one pet out. Again may not be what IV say's but works for me.
No it's not exactly IV's recommendation but it works for me and keeps me from getting too bored with BM since I am now using every button I can. :lol:

SV though. That I've followed IV religiously. :lol: I still am not the best at it. :oops: But I am certainly loving it and progressing better then I thought.

IV is an EXCELLENT starting point or even permanent bible. :)

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

It does tend to be slightly whackamole, but I like that SV has a compact burst sequence. If you take Snake Hunter (IV recommends it anyway)... make sure you have 3 stacks of MB. Pop Eagle, do your 3 MBs (plus any you get spare), hit snake hunter, and you can get 3 more while rage is still active. Make sure DBG and fire trap are always up. I'm not sure about steel trap; I know they want it for MOAR DEEPS but it takes frost trap away and I've run into more than a few times people wanted CC and I couldn't give it.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Sigrah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Sigrah »

Nachtwulf wrote:It does tend to be slightly whackamole, but I like that SV has a compact burst sequence. If you take Snake Hunter (IV recommends it anyway)... make sure you have 3 stacks of MB. Pop Eagle, do your 3 MBs (plus any you get spare), hit snake hunter, and you can get 3 more while rage is still active. Make sure DBG and fire trap are always up. I'm not sure about steel trap; I know they want it for MOAR DEEPS but it takes frost trap away and I've run into more than a few times people wanted CC and I couldn't give it.
I took improved traps for that reason, so I could keep Freeze Trap for CC if I ever needed it. Regarding MB, have you tried casting 3 MB's, then popping Eagle and Snake Hunter together and just spamming MB every time you get the extra charges that Eagle gives you until it ends? For me, I get better burst DPS doing it that way (between 8k and 12k more) rather than popping Eagle, then doing 3 MB's and popping Snake Hunter to do 3 more + whatever extra charges I get in between.

Just curious if you, or any other Survival Hunters out there, have had similar findings like that or if it's just me.