RIP realm hopping

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: RIP realm hopping

Unread post by Wain »

I did like the idea of increasing delays for group joins for a player within a particular time period. It could be relaxed enough to allow some leeway (you shouldn't be punished for joining a bad group and switching to another) but could hit hard when people are joining and leaving several groups a minute.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
sasrei7
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by sasrei7 »

There were ways to fix it, and you may enjoy camping but you are probably in the minority. I mean I dont mind a few days but when your going on weeks.. yah that gets sanity stealing. I dont see the big deal of people joining and leaving anyways. Is it annoying.. yep but not the end of the world. You still kill stuff with the people in your group, and if you do LFR its the same anoying sanity stealing people you deal with anyways lol.

Staring at the screen for a week makes you start talking to yourself, calling the rare out by name out loud, naming the npcs around the area you are camping.. lol. There were ways to work around it instead of taking it away completely. Its just the typical lazy blizzard way, instead of fixing it, they just get rid of it.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

An elegant fix is not lazy. Players will spend about the same amount of time camping anyways, because essentially no hoppers will be sniping rares on their home server.
sasrei7
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by sasrei7 »

Removing it completely is a lazy fix, sorry.. they could have had it on a timer in between realm hopping. Not really you have 4 or so other crz realms you can hop to, to check, it's how I caught all my maddexs cause otherwise it wasnt happening not my crazy packed crz lol. It made catching rares easier, and not really sniping when pretty much everyone was going the same thing. I do not look forward to pre expansion legion lol not with CRZ, its going to be lag city and i'm not prepared... But reality is, realm hopping made life easier, and if you dont want people to join something, don't list it. I just don't understand the whole getting mad at someone for joining for a min then leaving. It doesn't really affect you, sure it's rude as all heck but still lol. Its not earth shattering enough to have to remove it completely.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

The purpose of the group finder tool is to facilitate finding other players to group with. That wasn't removed. If you spot a rare that you want to share with another player, you can still make a group for that.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

sasrei7 wrote:There were ways to fix it, and you may enjoy camping but you are probably in the minority. I mean I dont mind a few days but when your going on weeks.. yah that gets sanity stealing. I dont see the big deal of people joining and leaving anyways. Is it annoying.. yep but not the end of the world. You still kill stuff with the people in your group, and if you do LFR its the same anoying sanity stealing people you deal with anyways lol.

Staring at the screen for a week makes you start talking to yourself, calling the rare out by name out loud, naming the npcs around the area you are camping.. lol. There were ways to work around it instead of taking it away completely. Its just the typical lazy blizzard way, instead of fixing it, they just get rid of it.

I never said I liked camping, lol XD

I HATED my stay in the jungle. I spent 5 weeks out there, 7 days a week, several hours a day just flying loops and camping spawn points for Loque. Sometimes I would go to bed, wake up every hour or so and login just to do a fly around. It was pure hell. The worst camping experience for a rare I've ever had. So no, I don't like it. To this day I can't even fly into/near Scholazar Basin without being put into a bad mood/disgusted just by hearing the music because I heard it SO. FRIGGIN. MUCH.

But my point is that what I experienced back then was the experience of pretty much every Hunter back then in Wrath trying to get Loque. We had that problem long before CRZ existed, this was competition just on our realm by itself. My ultimate point being, CRZ may have made foot traffic busier, but it didn't change the 'face' of the game. But it's not like CRZ realms have impacted rare hunting in such a way that the spawn timers should be lowered. That was my only point. People have had the same experience you're having with CRZ regarding camping rares long before CRZ was a thing, myself included.

And I don't mean that as a "We all suffered, you must suffer long camp times like we have!" sort of deal XD I just mean, a rare spawn is a 'rare spawn' for a reason. It's not supposed to be commonly up or commonly found. The 5-20 hr+ respawn times existed before CRZ and it was painful even with the insane level of campers our own realms produced. So it doesn't make sense that they should be lowered now; when there is even less people playing WoW as a whole compared to when that rare was originally introduced.

Xota wrote:The purpose of the group finder tool is to facilitate finding other players to group with. That wasn't removed. If you spot a rare that you want to share with another player, you can still make a group for that.
Agreed. Realm hopping was a by-product of group finder. Realm hopping was not introduced to be a way to snipe rares from another realm. Realm hopping wasn't introduced as its own feature. It was a by-product of the actual feature Group Finder. It was "just so happens I can use this new feature to realm hop to do XYZ easier than on my realm".

sasrei7
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by sasrei7 »

I mean.. IMO CRZ has impacted things more than you think. In sholazar I have yet to see one person from Icecrown, saw maybe one-two from Malygos which is connected to my server but the rest is all from trollbane or some of the other ones. If I /who right now there are 28 people in Sholazar and only 2 from my connected realms. So can't really say CRZ isn't really affecting getting rares. I keep getting near misses for Aotona and it sucks.. it reminds me why I hate sholazar so much lol. It's like wrath all over again.. and crz all over again lol. Oh I spent weeks in sholazar, I started seeing Aotona in my sleep. Is it strange that you start getting slightly obsessed over getting something you might not even love because you just can't get it? It's like my white whale lol.

I've started singing the angry birds theme song. Sholazar is the reason I can't have more hunters lol. Oh and the angry birds song by Tim hawkins haha
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

As someone who got Loque and Arc and KK and ___ rare from Wotlk in the hayday, I don't wish the pain on any new hunter.

Realm hopping isn't the issue now (it was being heavily abused with addons to make it streamlined).

Just give the WOTLK rares timers of 1-2 hours. Not this 6-24 hours craziness that Arcturis is / can be for old "content"

Note: Tomorrow Demon Hunters hit. Older zones will be much more barren than usual. Try camping then for less traffic. (Same with once new expansion hits)
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Unread post by Iowawolf »

Royi wrote:Note: Tomorrow Demon Hunters hit. Older zones will be much more barren than usual. Try camping then for less traffic. (Same with once new expansion hits)
That is why I am rushing to get my newest hunter to 60 and boosting with the zones more dead have a better chance at getting some of these pets sooner.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

If those rares didn't have the long respawn timers that they have, they wouldn't be as special - a worthwhile to obtain. If you could just go out and tame it after an hour of waiting, it wouldn't be nearly as special. You tamed a pet with a unique skin, good job, but is a pet with a unique skin that spawns every hour or two. There wouldn't be any accomplishment.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

The same could be said of rare spawning pets that every hunter uses. I stopped using Loque and Skoll because I saw them all over the place, and that removed the sense of special accomplishment for me (and others have expressed similar concerns). The special feeling gets eroded either way. Leave the super rare accomplishment stuff to things like mounts and pets etc. Hunter pets don't belong in that group, its just not worth it. I like the idea in theory, but just don't think it works well for pets in practice (all this in my opinion that is).
sasrei7
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by sasrei7 »

Day 6 in sholazar.. still looking for Aotona, missed her 3 days ago cause my npcscanner stopped working and by less than 30 seconds.. saw her name pop up as I was checking the red dots, turned around quickly to see a freshly tamed hunter. sigh..

Made a song cause I got bored lol, it's called Basin Blues.
-I've got the basin blues.
-I don't know what to do.
-I've been here so looonnggg
-Cause the bird just won't spawn
-You campers got crass
-And can stick up you a**
-For you camp right next me
-I've got the basin blues

lol