PETS HAVE THEIR OWN SPECS YET AGAIN!

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

PETS HAVE THEIR OWN SPECS YET AGAIN!

Unread post by Shade »

So I logged in to my hunter (BM) and went taming a few of the new looks once I got used to the new rotation on my hunter (and finished selling all of the stockpiled apparel in my bags).

So I went and got a bear, and Thok (OMG is he glorious!). I speced the bear to tenacity and after a bit changed over to the raven that I had tamed awhile ago-and found he was already in tenacity spec. Odd.

I switch him to ferocity and run around a bit-but them my friend and I get into trouble so I switch back to my bear-to find his pet action bar is messed up and he is now in ferocity spec.

It looks like now all pets are whatever spec you pick and you cannot have a pet on standby in a different spec? Meaning you cannot have one tenacity on hand for solo'ing and the others all ferocity like before?

Is this intentional? I've been watching the forums and beta notes for a good while now and saw nothing about this. I really, really hope it is a bug because if not it really breaks the soloing ability of hunters to me. I like being able to dismiss a ferocity pet when I am in a fight that is more than I can handle and yank out my tanking pet to keep things off of me.

Patch 7.0.3 Hotfixes - August 8
Hunter pets now retain their selected specialization when dismissed and summoned.
Not sure if anyone caught this in the patch notes-but I just saw it a second ago and had to log in to check.

Now you can assign different specs to your pets one more!

I just tried it and my old tank pets can now be tanks again without messing up my DPS pets.

Glory, glory, this is the best thing-I was seriously in mourning for how badly hunter pets had been broken in this expansion.

CELEBRATE!
Last edited by Shade on Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Re: Pet Speccing-bug or intentional?

Unread post by Quiv »

I can't imagine something like this would be intentional. Surely spec is based on each individual pet. This would be supremely annoying if intended.
Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

I think this is intentional that pet spec is now being tied to your character instead of each individual pets. Look at it this way, each hunter can tame up to 55 pets, and we could "save" all of their spec selection. I don't know how much memory that took to keep track of that information, but I guess it was too much for Blizzard and that they changed it to how it works now to save memory. That's the only thing I can think of for doing such a drastic change. If not then I'd REALLY like to hear them explain why they did this.

Also someone named Koja on the official Blizzard hunter forums posted a very nice little macro that lets you swap pet spec outside of combat between Tenacity and Ferocity with a single click:

/run SetSpecialization(GetSpecialization(false, true)==1 and 2 or 1, true)
ImageImage
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

It's been that way on beta. I did feedback about how inconvenient it was, but I never saw a response or change. It wouldn't take much more memory than what's been taken, less than one byte per pet. (For reference, a single letter takes at least one byte). I suspect it's a side effect of dual spec being replaced, and that whoever rewrote it didn't try to make it match earlier functionality.

I expect SetSpecialization() is combat locked, since it's also the function you can call to change your character's specialization.
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Shade »

Well that is beyond irritating. One of my favorite things to be able to do, in an instance, is switch out my pet if the tank dies and save the group with a tanking pet.

This pretty much ruins that survivability aspect now.

I am really, surprisingly, ticked off about this. Ugh.
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I'm sorry, but I feel we shouldn't have to make a bunch of new macros just to make things function the way they used to. Especially because I don't think anyone was crying for these things to be changed and hacked apart in the first place. :| It's kind of annoying, actually. And what makes things even worse, IMO, is that whatever WoW does, other games tend to adopt. So these poopy changes are just going to show up in other games because they feel they have to do what WoW does to compete. Bleh.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

Rhyela wrote:I'm sorry, but I feel we shouldn't have to make a bunch of new macros just to make things function the way they used to.
That reminds me of what they did to the warlock's Demonic Circle spell. Now to use it it's all on one button. I guess they thought it was good to "simplify" it? Nope, it just makes it awful to use, so people are actually using a cancel aura macro to make it somewhat work like before. Why merge the two buttons into one if people are just going to use two buttons (one for the spell and one for the macro) to use it properly anyway?
ImageImage
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

So tomorrow......? :D :mrgreen:

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

I really hope so!

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Unread post by Iowawolf »

Oh heck yes that is so awesome they are going to fix this maybe it was a bug after all just had to find what caused it and with Legion coming tomorrow at least the invasions they realize we will be swapping our pets a lot.
Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Unread post by Iowawolf »

Fixed!!!!! they hotfixed our pets so we can now have any spec we want for any pet no more all as one spec.
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: PETS HAVE THEIR OWN SPECS YET AGAIN!

Unread post by Shade »

LOL! I just made a post about this-I forgot my about this one, heh.
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Yay! Whether this was a "feature" or not, I"m so glad they fixed it! :D
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

And they remember their action bar.
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Good news, everyone! :D

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.