Wolf Eyes Comparison

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Wolf Eyes Comparison

Unread post by Rhyela »

I know I read it somewhere before 7.0 went live that the new dire worgs had some funky eye business going on. I didn't really pay it much mind until I tamed one of my own and started comparing it to other wolves. Their eyes really are strange, and by that I mean that they're more like prey eyes instead of predator eyes. Prey creatures have their eyes more towards the side of their skulls to get a more 180 degree view of their surroundings, whereas predators typically have their eyes more forward to give them better depth perception for chasing prey.

The new wolves' side eyes makes them look more like prey, and they also kinda make them look a bit derpy. And now that I see it, I'm having a hard time unseeing it. I already have three other wolves, and as much as I love everything else about the new dire worgs, I think the eyes might end up being a deal breaker for me. I mean, even the outdated Vanilla coyote models have eyes set on the front of their skulls, so that even without pupils they still are anatomically in the right place.

Maybe it's too much to hope that they'll somehow fix them so that their eyes (or pupils at the very least) face more forward? Or, if all else fails, just make the lightning versions tamable since the glowing eyes really help make them not look so dang goofy. Comparisons below.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Attachments
Vanilla Coyote.jpg
Vanilla Coyote.jpg (73.04 KiB) Viewed 2950 times
Draenor Wolf.jpg
Draenor Wolf.jpg (68.13 KiB) Viewed 2950 times
Draenor Wolf Armored.jpg
Draenor Wolf Armored.jpg (54.37 KiB) Viewed 2950 times
Dire Worg.jpg
Dire Worg.jpg (43.67 KiB) Viewed 2950 times

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Re: Wolf Eyes Comparison

Unread post by Rawr »

Is it just me or has the new wolves gone full derp? :lol: :mrgreen:

Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Yeah, it seems kinda bad to me. And now that I keep looking at it, they almost look...bulgy...as well. :|

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

The new wolves don't actually have sideways eyes, it's an illusion, just quite a disturbing one if you're not used to it. They have forward pupils, but with a very large reflection on the front that makes it look like there's no pupil there.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

So that's what's up with their faces. I couldn't quite pinpoint why they looked wrong. Making the brows less bulgy would go a long way to helping them. I have to say I love the model otherwise. But, I admit I have been mentally referring to mine as Moon Moon.....

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/moon-moon
Helsinki
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Dalaran - US

Unread post by Helsinki »

I know what you mean. I can't stand the goat models because they have predator eyes on the fronts of their faces rather than proper prey eyes. It makes no sense and I just can't get over it.
Sarynotsorry - Dalaran
Helgada - Nesingwary
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

Helsinki wrote:I know what you mean. I can't stand the goat models because they have predator eyes on the fronts of their faces rather than proper prey eyes. It makes no sense and I just can't get over it.
Predatory goats. Be afraid.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Helsinki wrote:I know what you mean. I can't stand the goat models because they have predator eyes on the fronts of their faces rather than proper prey eyes. It makes no sense and I just can't get over it.
well, if they looked more like "prey" then they'd be bait for whatever mob you were attacking, rather than a hunting companion, no?

(one of the reasons I'm a bit perplexed by some animals hunters can tame)

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Well hunter companion and predator aren't the same. They are fulfilling very different roles. While hunter companion is often offensive, its not for the typical predatory reasons.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Teigan wrote:
Predatory goats. Be afraid.
*snerk*

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Wain wrote:They have forward pupils, but with a very large reflection on the front that makes it look like there's no pupil there.
I actually thought about that as I was looking at their pictures, but the reflection is so huge that it makes their pupils look like slits on the side of the eye. I will try to look at it as giant reflecting eyeballs, but I don't know... And if that is the case, whyyyy? They don't need big moist shiny eyes! It might be difficult for my feeble mind to get past it. :lol:

Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Well, I started to miss the little bugger. I'm trying to look at the white and black part as his eye, rather than just the black, and I think it's helping. I mean, I still think it's really weird that they made their eyes so shiny. But I'm glad I didn't let him go last night. I thought about it, but I figured I'd hang onto him anyway. Sheesh, I don't know why I need four wolves, but I love all of them so whatever. :lol:

Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Unread post by Iowawolf »

I do agree the eyes look little weird but in a way I like it with the shine on the main part kind of like a real eye.
Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

So, I've been looking at these wolf faces. I think the worgs are essentially all identical. There's different shading to change the apparent shape/contour, but basically the same. Well, maybe not from the side, but I don't have pics of that. But the angle of the eyes against the snout, the total area covered by the eyes (not including any shading or highlights)...I think it's the same. Anyone else see this or am I trying too hard? Just try to look at it without shading/contour.
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

I agree; the draenor wolves have tusks and the legion wolves don't, and maaaaaaybe the muzzles of the legion wolves are narrower, but the difference in the eyes is all in the texturework—and I suspect the reason the legion wolves have built-in eyeshine while the others don't is just because whichever artist was assigned legion wolf textures likes/uses eyeshine.

It's also why a lot of "cute" minipets end up being a little bit further on the horrifying side (like the moonkin hatchlings, haha).
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Jasanni
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Jasanni »

Seeing as two of my hunters are mostly all about the wolves (Randy my space goat and Kai my tauren), I've got several lol. I've always had a soft spot for the older models, I don't care how outdated and derpy the big fluffy polygonal wolf models are now. My favorites now are definitely the Draenor models, followed by the Northrend ones. I like the Legion models but only the lightning ones: I think it helps to hide some of the aesthetic issues I have with them. XD Their eyes bother me a little, but not as much as the random show-clip shaved fur they've got going on. o.O

~ Avatar by Blencem, Signature by Ashaine ~

Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

I don't see it as a show-dog shave. It looked more like a mane to me. Maybe that would help with liking them more? I know it's hard to unsee something, but, there is precedent for that kind of fur growth pattern in nature. So, it could be they're just born that way. Though, the idea of a rogue dog-groomer roaming the Broken Isles and shaving the wolves is hilarious :D

Attachments
maned+wolf2.jpg
maned+wolf2.jpg (30.64 KiB) Viewed 2950 times
Common-warthog-with-redbilled-oxpeckers-perched-on-back.jpg
Common-warthog-with-redbilled-oxpeckers-perched-on-back.jpg (71.87 KiB) Viewed 2950 times
Striped-hyaena-walking-on-shore.jpg
Striped-hyaena-walking-on-shore.jpg (46.66 KiB) Viewed 2950 times
kennis-neanderthal-model.jpg
kennis-neanderthal-model.jpg (52.02 KiB) Viewed 2950 times
Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Yeah, I've always thought of them as manes, which I think is one of the main things I like about them.