Ongoing Search for the Spectral Gryphon

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: Ongoing Search for the Spectral Gryphon

Unread post by Valnaaros »

No, I understood.

Yes, it would have to be neutral. But then what about trolls? I
can guarantee someone would camp the vendor and buy it the momemt it spawns. Has happened before with other things.
Xylexia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Draenor

Unread post by Xylexia »

Hunter only item then
Diago

Unread post by Diago »

Kinda defeats the purpose of taming
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

There would still be Trolls. Look at the Mind Worm mount. There are many, many people that already have it that go back to the pages and put toys and giant mounts on them just so others can't click on it. The same would happen it a vendored item (would be worse since there are addons that can snipe stuff as soon as it is available).
Xylexia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Draenor

Unread post by Xylexia »

You still tame it after it spawns lol

It was just an idea to beat the griefers and accidental killing because people fight over who has aggro

They wouldn't use the idea now anyway It's too late.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

It wouldn't beat the griefers. As I just said, they would keep buying the feather and not using as a form of griefing.

The best thing to do is to lock it to whomever clicks it first. No one else can tame or attack it aside from the one that clicked on it. It wouldn't completely stop griefing (if a griefer beat you to it) but it is a far better alternative.
Yunya
Realm: Argent Dawn US

Unread post by Yunya »

I just tamed him after waiting about seven hours. Muajin was there for about an hour before I first got there, which puts the timer at at least eight, I think.
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_041317_192406.jpg
WoWScrnShot_041317_192406.jpg (315.11 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
maorel
Realm: The Maelstrom Eu

Unread post by maorel »

I dont think the spawn timer is 8 hours.
My friend tamed it at 4 PM which means the next spawn will b 12 am
i came back and waited from 11 pm till 3 am and nothing
Diago

Unread post by Diago »

Both timers seem off, I had Gon egg spawn at 3 pm and expected it to spawn at 11.

Nothing.
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

I wonder if the feather and egg timers are linked somehow. Could help explain some of the wonky reports.

ScvgrHyena
Realm: Shandris

Unread post by ScvgrHyena »

Sorry I have a lot of questions:

Is there a level requirement for the gryphon and the raptor? If so what is it? Also are they regular pets (i.e. a regular raptor and gryphon) or are they spirit beasts? Is there anything special you need to do or just click on the item to summon? What is the spawn time? Can horde only get the raptor and alliance the gryphon or can either side get them? (Praying of course that they live though a massacre by guards). Does the item only spawn in one spot or in multiple spots?

Sorry again for the many questions. Also I may post this twice to see which answers.
maorel
Realm: The Maelstrom Eu

Unread post by maorel »

They are spirit beasts
you neeed to b lvl 110 to see the egg for the raptor or feather for the gryphon but u can tame them at a lower lvl from what i heard
both factions can tame both of them.
no one knows whats the timer... we are all speculating
And from what we know, they only spawn at one spot
SW flight amster for gryphon
and vally of spirits for raptor
Acadion
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Kirin'Tor

Unread post by Acadion »

Well it appears that if someone hits the feather, we can't tame it. Camped the spot for an hour, a horde charcter Volteikae came in and tapped it the second it popped up and tamed it. Stole it. So nice of them.
Chaix
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: malfurion

Unread post by Chaix »

timers are also difficult to determine because crz keeps moving people around. you might get moved just before the shell/feather spawns and you wouldn't know unless you're paying attention to every other hunter there.
ParagonOfHonor
Realm: Ravenholdt

Unread post by ParagonOfHonor »

Hey guys!

Summerhowl of Ravenholdt here to report my findings and recap on my amazing (albeit long and arduous day) yesterday.

Quick Recap, Tl:Dr

I tamed 4 really cool really rare and valuable things. Gon, the new spirit beast raptor, the Lost Spectral Gryphon, the new gryphon spirit beast, a Dreamway Prowler Puppy, that i named DreamPupper, and an Emberspit Scorpion from the special instanced version of the shaman order hall firelands, whom i named Spitfire. So i'm supa happy. And in short, from my personal observations, i had found that both the Gryphon and the Raptor have both a ROUGHLY 12 hour spawn timer. I can't call this exact, but i can call it correct, as this is what i had observed and documented first hand. I don't know or have any concrete evidence if CRZ or phasing effects the spawn timers at all.

Ok, now for the meat.

Watching, Waiting, on the edge of our seats doing Calculus.
From my personal experience, it was a approximately a 12 hour spawn timer. I don't have a 'down to the second' spawn timer, but i was keeping general tabs on both the LSG and Gon's spawn timers. I have read both here and on wowhead and from other hunters in game, of reports of at least a half hour (+30 min) spawn timer, a 2 hour spawn timer, and an 8 hour spawn timer, but i can speak from personal experience (quote me on this b*tch) that i had waited 12 hours on this ledge just hanging out for this Gryphon Feather to spawn. I started at like 9:15am, and it finally spawned at like 9:20-something Pm that same day.

As for Gon, i was in contact with a fellow hunter who was camping in Org. At around....either late 10am, or early 11am he reported to me he spawned and tamed Gon. I then set a timer for 8 hours, to test the theory of an 8+ hour spawn timer. Checking back in throughout the day using Trade Chat on other hunters in org, i had determined that even after my 12 hour camp session of the gryphon, that the eggshell still hadn't spawned. this spurned me to stick around and see how long it would take him to spawn. After conversing with fellow hunters i had made friends with throughout the day, about roughly 60-90 min later, Gon Spawned. See a paragraph below for details on that.

The W's
Now i'm mainly talking about your personally characters specs. Your Level, your Faction, Your pets, your spec.
- You must be level 110 to see both the Feather or the Egg shell. However, i don't think you need to be 110 to tame them. However, i have no concrete proof of the latter claim. Just 2nd hand research i've read on here and wowhead.
- For Factions, yes, you can tame the opposing factions spirit beast, you're just might have a bad time. I've written more on this below.
- As for Pets, this mainly has to do with the infiltrating opposing faction. My best advice would be to clear the area before you go in for any sort of tame. This means having a pet that you can misdirect to (I went with Tank Pet Skoll, and i have Kil'Jaeden's burning wish, so i could cleave down the Gryphon's the Flight Master Spawned), then after you kill all the nearby NPCs, Feign Death do drop aggro, the apply *the technique* to tame the beast as necessary. More details below.
- As for spec, as far as i understand, you can only see the feather and the egg shell if you are in BM spec. I don't know if it can be seen by other specs, or if other classes or specs can see the LSG or Raptor once they are spawned.

Location Location Location
I live in the EST, to give a little context. I'm horde, and i camped for the LSG (lost spectral gryphon) for a good 12 hours yesterday. For any other hordies, what i did is i sat on the middle ledge outside of the Gryphon Hangar. Like if it was a McDonalds Golden Arches, i sat on the ledge that was in the middle leg of the M. In doing this, i was able to get a clear view of the Feather Spawn point while avoiding all agro from alliance guards. I only had occasional trouble getting aggro'd by Officer Jaxton and Tannec Stonebeak, but i'm ilvl 901 and had no trouble murdering all of the alliance guards.

PvP (People Vs Problems)
Your biggest problems with the Gryphon if you're a hordie is (assuming you are on a relatively populated server) is contesting with the masses. Seeing as you are horde and have to hang out on the ledge all day, you're more likely to be slow on the metaphorical draw as you would have to walk over and click/destroy the feather, and successfully get the tame on. (However, i have a *fix* for this problem, more on that below.) However, i got was a lucky bastard and the feather spawned for me when i was alone, no one else camping, and all i had to do was bust out my new DreamPupper and slay the guards. then i was alone with my wits and thoughts to unleash the gryphon and tame it peacefully.

Now, i know all of you campers (not trying to throw shade, i was once in the exact same position) only have Wowhead images to inform you as to what to look for, and since these damn things are tiny, you are constantly doubting yourself, second guessing "Did i miss it?" "Is it there? I think i see some blue!" And personally, going for 12 hours, there was some delirium. BUT when the Feather finally did spawn, it was VERY noticeable. Even from hanging out on the ledge, i could definitely see it. Don't loose hope, and don't go insane. You will be able to see it. As for you 'alliance dogs', you have it even easier, as you can literally just stare the hay pile in the face waiting for it to spawn. Just plz don't sit on the spot with massive mounts. that's a dick move. Even more dick-ish than my move.

4 in a Day
NOW for the Raptor, i need to apologize for a handful of things.
1. As i am horde, i did not have to deal with any of the hostile NPC's alliance might have to deal with, so i have no idea of advice on where to stand, or hours to camp.
2. I pulled a dick move to get this one. I was hot off my heals after just obtaining the LSG and the Emberspit scorp so i was in a blitzing greedy mindset. I used my *special technique* to get this guy even though there were 3 other people previously camping the eggshell spawn. However, 1 was a realm hopper, so no remorse for that guy. So i dicked 3 guys and walked away with Gon after about maybe half an hour of camping.
*Although in my minor defence, i was sort of keeping tabs on the Gon spawn as i was trying to stay in contact with hunters in Org throughout the day, so i had known of it's last spawn time and whatnot. But that doesn't really excuse my ninja tame. Again, apologies.

The Technique
NOW. The *Special technique* to help you snag that tame. Not saying this is secret knowledge, merely useful. Specifically for the gryphon and raptor, once the feather or eggshell spawns, whoever clicks it goes through a 1.5 sec animation of destroying the object. And then after another like.... 0.5-1 sec later, the beast will spawn. However, the key to this is that the destroying animation makes a very distinct noise. Most of you are likely familiar with it, it is the common noise of knocking something over or destroying something made of stone. If anything i would describe it like dragging or shuffling your feet along a gravel or dusty pathway. It's very rough and hard. ANYWAY that is the key sound. I was tabbed out waiting for Gon's Eggshell to spawn, and i heard it. i instantly tabbed back in and saw him, and in that key split second, i tapped Gon with 1-2 Cobra Shots, and that agro'd him onto me and everyone else's taming attempts failed. And he only had like...38% (i think) health left so no one else wanted to risk hitting him. And that is the key trick to ninja-ing Gon or the LSG. However, even if you accomplish all this, it won't save you from Dick-Lord Supremes killing your tame. PLZ DO NOT DO THIS EVER. IT BENEFITS NOBODY.

Infiltration Tips
Lemme elaborate a little more. This explanation pertains to those of who want to camp the opposite faction beast spawn. I never had to use the above trick on the Gryphon, as i was luckily alone, but it should work, like dis. As i would sit on the ledge out of range of the guards, i could get perfect view of the feather, and thusly the gryphon spawn, without being within agro range of the NPC guards. I was in perfect position to land a single shot on the gryphon, (in theory) aggro-ing it onto me, giving me the tame. However, this could possibly be a problem should you be on a PvP server. Considering this move is a *Dick Move*, it would likely cause opposing faction hunters to become mad at you, and may try to attack you. This is where Aspect of the turtle comes in. A technique required to complete older challenge tames, Popping Aspect of the Turtle and then taming will almost always save your hide, from either the beast itself or other aggressors, be it an NPC or angry hunter, or any backup said angry hunters brought along.

So, this is my 2 cents. Thanks for reading, and best of luck with your tames AND your camps. Bring S'mores, your Wayfarers bonfire, and praise the sun.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

When I went to tame the gryphon my friend came with me on her paladin. She cannot remember seeing a feather. It's possible she just missed it because she was on guard duty while I got my tame, but she's pretty certain she would have noticed it and she definitely did not, so that lends credence to the theory that perhaps only hunters can see the objects.

She COULD see the gryphon though once I had spawned it, and it seemed to look like a normal mob and everything, which leads me to believe she could have killed it if she'd wanted to. Of course she didn't attempt to interact with it in any way, but I have a hunch that once the creature is spawned it's basically fair game for any character and any class that happens to be around.
ParagonOfHonor
Realm: Ravenholdt

Unread post by ParagonOfHonor »

Vephriel wrote:When I went to tame the gryphon my friend came with me on her paladin. She cannot remember seeing a feather. It's possible she just missed it because she was on guard duty while I got my tame, but she's pretty certain she would have noticed it and she definitely did not, so that lends credence to the theory that perhaps only hunters can see the objects.

She COULD see the gryphon though once I had spawned it, and it seemed to look like a normal mob and everything, which leads me to believe she could have killed it if she'd wanted to. Of course she didn't attempt to interact with it in any way, but I have a hunch that once the creature is spawned it's basically fair game for any character and any class that happens to be around.
I personally believe this is the case. So you must be extra careful when you are camping a populated spot, as you could easily incur the wrath of other people onto yourself or the glorious beasts.

However, now as i have tamed both of them, my gaze turns elsewhere. Does anyone have any word on Lalathin, or the Spectral Wyvern? I've heard rumour of them but nothing concrete at all.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Lalathin hasn't been found and you can't tame it without the tome. We can get the tome until, at the earliest, in June or July. Even then, you have to have the BM artifact completely maxed out in order to buy the tome.

As of right now, there is no Spectral Wyvern.
KeyLimeSerpent
Realm: Wymrest Accord

Unread post by KeyLimeSerpent »

This is proving to be the worst thing ever. I can't get close half the time without people trying to kill me. >_> It's not even other hunters, either.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

As I have said, it is just best to wait until the hype dies down. There is no need to get it right now. They aren't going anywhere.