Panthara taming puzzle-solving thread

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Tomb
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Re: Panthara taming puzzle-solving thread

Unread post by Tomb »

I find this taming method really immersive and interesting. But to make it enjoyable the meat should be more common. Right now it feels like rolling a 1 on a d20 if you fail. Because you know you have to join The 2017 Talbuk genocide again.

And someone needs to think of the children!

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

Elffy wrote:Also something of note. I was farming for a total of 8 hours today. two of those hours with another hunter and a druid friend of mine. We both got drops and our druid got several meats to drop for him. He was from another realm so unfortunately they couldn't be traded to either of us. I'm not sure if they dropped for him because he was in a group of two hunters, or if any class can get them to drop. I'm going to try solo on my shaman tomorrow and mail them to my hunter if so. I wasn't sure if this was already known, posting just in case!
So I decided to test this on my demon hunter since she's my skinner and I didn't want all those hides to go to waste. Roughly 80 kills later I had a meat. I was not partied with any hunters, so it seems it can drop for any class.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Unread post by Krysteena »

I finally managed to do it! Turns out I was getting the wrong mob after all, and I changed to the one Kaiarra said to do (mine was across the ways, that I was initially trying to get. Still sleeping, but in a more awkward position). This time, I positioned the meat a bit more in front, right by the head, so idk if the positioning was the problem, or the aggro I accidentally got, but this was definitely one frustrating tame. 116 kills for my second piece of meat, but the ah price is around 150k on my server.

The only other ones I want are the blue-grey and silver-blue variants, but they can wait for another time.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

Anyone want to group up and do some meat farming? I've having abysmal luck. I'm Kirapandora-dalaran

thanks!

SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

Kaiarra wrote:
Rewe wrote:
Kayro wrote:Update: 287 kills, and I've finally had a piece drop. 287. That's a good two and a half hours running around killing mobs, and it didn't work. I put the trap down, feigned death right behind it, camoed out of feign death, threw the meat, was not in combat, and the tame wouldn't go through regardless.

Back to the 200+ killing spree, I guess
I had the same problem :/ tried 3 times on Fel-Green Panthara, and nothing :c

/cry
This is the location of the green one that tamed for me without an issue (it could be just luck though):

And this is the location where I tamed the Alpha (kill all the other cats first obviously):
I was trying to get a black and green one too. All four times it bugged on me. Although i was tryight to the the one to the left of that screenshot, so its not just a single mob thats doing it.

jaynkumz
Realm: Garithos

Unread post by jaynkumz »

After about 3 more hours for a 4th piece of meat. The tame on an Alpha failed again. That's 3 fails on the alpha after working fine on a regular blue one. No clue. I'm about to give up on this nonsense though.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist

Bendak said he went naked when he did his tames. we might be having some procs going on that's disrupting the taming process.

Hazzal
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Hazzal »

Also be sure if you're beast mastery to dismiss pets a bit before taming, if you do it right before then Hati might still linger around long enough to ruin your day.
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

AHHHHHHH!
that was a nightmare. not one of their greatest taming ideas. So glad its over and I have my kitty.
I was going to not bother with this until Blizz was given time to tweak it but on my way to get my daily Naroua kill i took a potshot at a talbuk out of spite and it actually dropped some meat. I argued with myself back and forth on whether or not to hold on to the meat so i could try later but i figured what the hell, maybe its destiny. So I gave it another go.
Got pretty nervous since people kept running by and killing the cats I trapped for posturing practice. I know a few other hunters got griefed too. When i finally did get the tame to start someone showed up right near the end and was making a b-line for me so i got really nervous.

I don't think i really did anything too different but I may as well share the details for the archives. This time i tried one of the cats at the other end of the pool. Its back was completely turned to me this time and i aimed the meat right for the center of its hitbox again. I didn't use FD, i just cammoed, tossed trap and meat, then tamed. (both the meat and tame were next to each other on my hot bar for max speed) I hit tame the second I saw the tiny blood splash animation- I didn't bother trying to avoid aggro by backing up or anything. I just mashed tame.
Maybe this is part of the issue? I haven't heard many people mention the blood splash when they tell you how to tame it- its easy to miss. (Maybe its buggy because the blood splash dosent happen, misses, or the window is really, really small? because my reaction time on my first attempt was pretty quick too so idk why it failed.)

so glad thats over. Im freeeeeee!

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Talihawk wrote:Bendak said he went naked when he did his tames. we might be having some procs going on that's disrupting the taming process.

I just wish we had a 100% confirmed 'right way' to do this. I know that sounds weird ("But rikaku, we can tame them!"), but I fail with words. I mean specifically I wish there was a uniform way that worked for everyone.

Because, it's interesting to read how we have the general taming process, but there's like 2-3 different ways to achieve it? Some use SV/MM Camo, some take off all gear, some just avoid using the above 2 methods and have no issue. And it's kind of interesting (from what I'm seeing here) that it seems like some ways just do not work for others.

For example, I tried both the "Camo Way" and the "Bendak Way" (removing all gear) and simply could not tame one of these things. I tried it the 4th time using just Trap > Feign > throw meat from feign > tame without removing anything and finally had success.

Then there's others who can only do it the camo way. or only do it the 'Bendak way'.

So TL;DR what I mean is, it's interesting to me that it seems while there's a few variations of the taming method, but it seems that perhaps only "one way" works for an individual. I'm sure that's not really how it is (like there's not some secret lock to our characters on what variation to tame it is), but it's weird that that seems to be the result.

So I'm happy we figured it out, and I do appreciate the trick-taming concept behind it. But I do wish this was available to be tested on the PTR so that the whole meat-chucking process could've been more refined/worked on so that it's not a 3hr farm for a chunk of meat and pray to various deities that it works and your time wasn't wasted @_@

Leonaa
Realm: Silvermoon

Unread post by Leonaa »

http://www.wowhead.com/news=271022/tami ... ng-discord

confirmed by wowhead aswell.. so happy hunt all :)
Lets get those talbuks :)
Hewolfke
Realm: Quel-thalas

Unread post by Hewolfke »

So following steps in this order don't work at all, in previous posts there was a confirmation, but it isn't!

Freeze, feign, tos meat from feign, tame -> doesn't work in this order! Did it 10 times, the panthera staid flickering in stealth.

So what is the correct way then????

Kind regards
Novikova
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

YES. I get another couple of meat after buying one and farming some more hours!

... twice an alliance paladin follows me and kills both cats midtame ...

I'm gonna cry. I hate this game. I hate its stupid fucking meat. I hate it all.

And the stupid alliance griefing me repeatedly. Go away, hunters and paladins.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

thats horrible Novi :( Maybe you should realm hop to a less populated server so he can't find you.

That was the fastest way for me to farm meat by the way, realm hopping in the forest. (not the petrified forest, the other one farther down the road with the rare that drops fel-spotted eggs) from the entrance to the midway point of the forest there were about 9 mobs i could farm over and over again.

sasrei7
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by sasrei7 »

So I really struggled before, 2 fails :) managed to get lucky and get one meat last night and 2 within 5 minutes of each other after killing prolly 400+ talbuks lol

I am finding this to be consistent (tamed two no problem)
Trap > FD when it good spot to throw meat > Camo > FD (do not move!!!)> throw meat at center > tame
As soon as you hit camo your char stands up so I wonder if that can cause some issues for some. I'm just being super paranoid though lol but had no issues taming my two this way and with how sucky the drop rate is being extra paranoid helps lol

ok got my third one using the same method. Makes it super easy to be close enough to ensure you get the meat thrown right on it without fear of moving again :)
Last edited by sasrei7 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lilaughingwolf
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Zul'gin

Unread post by lilaughingwolf »

If anyone is doing a meat farming group for horde let me know (I have my cat color that is out for now, but want to help) My battle tag is lilRedWolfie#1421 please let me know :) I play mainly at night ESP (West Virginia, USA)
Kaiarra
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Kaiarra »

Rikaku wrote:So I'm happy we figured it out, and I do appreciate the trick-taming concept behind it. But I do wish this was available to be tested on the PTR so that the whole meat-chucking process could've been more refined/worked on so that it's not a 3hr farm for a chunk of meat and pray to various deities that it works and your time wasn't wasted @_@
IMO the best solution would have been a couple of Talbuk rares with high drop rates on the meat (I don't know if there's any in Mac); beats fighting to kill 200-300 reallly spread out mobs with other Hunters.

I mean theres four(?) cat rares, why no talbuk.
Hewolfke
Realm: Quel-thalas

Unread post by Hewolfke »

So whatever order i do, it became of none existance to tame any of them, or it is bugged or it is removed, but it does not work like any of the movies "spread", tried 4 times survival: camo, freez, meat gives now: "spell not learned"!!!! And tame isn't possible! So i tried to tame 14 times, on BM and survival, i tamed a lot as ilvl 916! But this and the pics on google are parts from PTR...
KeyLimeSerpent
Realm: Wymrest Accord

Unread post by KeyLimeSerpent »

As far as the green ones are concerned:
When I got mine, this is the order I did things:
Go Survival, Spec into Camo
Camo up to your desired panthara
Throw your trap, do not fd just stay in camo
Throw your meat
Tame immediately

This worked for the three Panthara I've tamed. The only time I had a tame fail is when I used the method that involved trapping then fding.
Talihawk
Petopia Artist

Wow that was as tough as any 'rare' tame! I grouped up with Destinylynn (and another) and finally broke my 3.5 hour dry spell of no meats. With their help I was able to tame the Duskcloak Alpha. Thanks so very much!