WoW Classic pets

For discussion while BlizzCon is running. Anything pertinent to WoW will be moved to the appropriate forums after BlizzCon is over.
Valfreya
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind, Blackrock

Re: WoW Classic pets

Unread post by Valfreya »

Wain wrote:I have been in conversation with Mania about finding old copies of the database. Anything pre-Cata is probably close (at least for the 0-60 pets), since most Vanilla pets were removed around then. We'll see what we can do. I'm also tempted to restore the old site look for the Classic version of the site :)
Oh that would be awesome Wain!
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I made the mistake of venturing into the new Official Classic forums. There are so many sub groups of players that want different things in terms of Classic, how are they going to get consensus out of anything? You have the "Classic purists" on one side, the "Classic remastered" on the other and just about every flavor and variation in between. And so many think they are the majority and pulling "statistics" out of thin air with no substance or evidence.

And theres so much dismissal of differing opinions. I personally lean more toward the purist side (to me a remastered Classic is like asking for a Ham sandwich and wanting turkey instead of ham but still insisting its a ham sandwich), *however* theres no cause to some of the vile dismissal and marginalizing of someone else's experience and opinion. Some want a "new model toggle" since its completely personal, but wow that idea is getting devoured. Some want the experience they had which is a later Classic patch than what others want.

Its pure bedlam. I know there's plenty of passion, and I know forums can generally be a terrible place but this is on a whole new level. All these groups have such a standoffish "its my way or the highway" feel to their posts.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I am not going to be playing classic at all. However, for those who have been asking for classic, then give them classic. Remove bugs and exploits, but otherwise leave it as it was. I have seen people asking for xmogs, all playable races, cheap mounts, balanced classes, etc etc. Blizz should just give them vanilla as it was.
Dino
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Dino »

Yeah... I find it funny how people are asking for stuff that wasn't in Vanilla. xD Xmogs wasn't a thing. Armor took up space in bags. Food, potions, ammo, etc. Mount tab wasn't a thing. Later races weren't in the game.

All the stuff that made the game more stream line.

I do miss the old talent system. But I like the one in Legion too.
viaradda

Unread post by viaradda »

Valnaaros wrote:Blizz should just give them vanilla as it was.
One intriguing possibility is that they could add some things which almost were in Vanilla.

For example, dwarf mages were playable in Beta, but cut before release. Then readded years later. Should they be allowed in Classic? I think even many purists would be okay with this.

Or how about some new content? There was a certain amount of content which was worked in during Vanilla but never released. For example, there was a BG (supposedly large-scale like AV) in Azshara. It was part of the original plan - you could even see the Alliance and Horde instance portals before the zone was revamped in Cata. But for various reasons, it was never released.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

The issue with giving them new content is that there will be some who will keep wanting new content. Classic servers are meant to largely be vanilla as it originally was. If you start giving them new things, then it moves away from being vanilla to being a different game.
viaradda

Unread post by viaradda »

Valnaaros wrote:The issue with giving them new content is that there will be some who will keep wanting new content. Classic servers are meant to largely be vanilla as it originally was. If you start giving them new things, then it moves away from being vanilla to being a different game.
Vanilla, as it originally was, was constantly changing. They got up to content patch 1.12 before BC. If you just choose a build and then do nothing but fix bugs, that's not Vanilla was it originally was.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Yes, it was constantly changing, but that was still part of Vanilla. What you're talking about are things that were never part of the Vanilla cycle. Besides, what people who want Vanilla have to accept is that it will eventually stop. Even if, say, they release the raids in patches and such, they will eventually get to the end, and that'll be it. They aren't going to treat give Vanilla servers their own special patches or xpacs.
Zulmalakhan
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Defias Brotherhood

Unread post by Zulmalakhan »

Takk the Leaper, fastest pet EVER in vanilla, a genuine must have for... anything :D :twisted:
Xylexia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Draenor

Unread post by Xylexia »

90% of bag space is going towards arrows

Good times
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Xylexia wrote:90% of bag space is going towards arrows

Good times
I'd almost forgotten that! And wanting to crawl in a hole and die when you realize you just ran out of ammo in the middle of a raid.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Xylexia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Draenor

Unread post by Xylexia »

Wain wrote:
Xylexia wrote:90% of bag space is going towards arrows

Good times
I'd almost forgotten that! And wanting to crawl in a hole and die when you realize you just ran out of ammo in the middle of a raid.
Warlocks might even have it worse....lol
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

I'll admit, I'm interested in poking it, but I doubt I'll treat it as anything but a novelty. Also remember how horribly annoying a lot of it was so ... yeah, I probably wouldn't play a hunter. Pally maybe.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

It depends on how far you're going to go as a Paladin. If you ever raid, expect to spend every fight buffing everyone. Buffs only lasted a few minutes and had to be cast on each raid member individually. Since there are 40 people, but the time you finish buffing the last person, you have to start all over since the buffs on the first few people are about to expire.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Like a lot of people, I honestly expect the servers to be super popular for a couple of months, then everyone's gonna go '....meh, this is terrible, and the new expac is out, I'll come back to this... eventually...' and then they never do.

Unless there's a way to farm achievements/mounts that carry over to your main account, it's never going to have any popularity... unless, I suppose, they make it free. That's really the sole reason that vanilla servers survived out in the wild at all; it wasn't that the game was great, but it was the free nicotine patch to the people who didn't want to buy cigarettes anymore. They could get their fix, at least a little, without having to pay for it.

If the servers are free to play (that is, just free, because obviously no DLC or anything) then they'll do fairly well just with people who kinda wanna keep their hand in without paying for a sub.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Your opinion isn't alone, Nacht. On Mmo-C, wowhead, WoW official forums, etc. I see mosy speculating that they'll be very popular at first, as you said, then plummet to around 100k (some say that is being generous).

I don't think Blizz would allow us to farm pets, mounts, xmogs from Vanilla, since it would do two things. First, people who don't want to play Vanilla would feel like they have to do get those things. Second, it would lessen the meaning of those things for those who earned them when Vanilla was current.

Some of you may have seen it, but there was a thread on the official forums that Orynx and a few other Blues joined in on. Long story short, a lot of the people in the thread (on both sides of the Vanilla Civil War) were attacking them relentlessly. Calling them things like idiots, numbskulls, morons, etc. Of course, this really upset Orynx. So much so that he basically said "I would hoping we could have a discussion about this. I guess not" and closed the thread.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Vanilla would make sence igen you could grind achivements, mounts etc. and transfer that to your other char. I could easily see someone grinding reply to get the saddleless palomino mount.

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Tårnfalk wrote:Vanilla would make sence igen you could grind achivements, mounts etc. and transfer that to your other char. I could easily see someone grinding reply to get the saddleless palomino mount.
Depends on what patch. I've seen 1.12 being mentioned as the ideal patch. By that patch, though, the saddleless mounts were gone.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I find it very interesting. For those that want the pure classic experience (theres not even consensus on what that means btw), its like the mix their great passion for it with the desperation of "this is our one shot to get a legit classic server" so they don't want it screwed around with. Such passion and desperation tends to quick defensive eruptions. I don't like name calling, but I get the fight.

Theres just so many groups involved in the discussion, its fascinating. Now theres plenty of dissension even among those that played in classic, played on private servers, and fully remember all the bad.
Last edited by Quiv on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Ahh what a shame. .. Was it before the opening of AQ? The grind to open the gates for the black Scarab mount I think many would not mind doing.. but heh I don't plan on playing just giving in with my 5 cents ;)

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig