Naturalhistory object collections (IMG heavy)

Täräin13
Petopia Artist
Realm: Argent Dawn - eu

Naturalhistory object collections (IMG heavy)

Unread post by Täräin13 »

Hey guys! I got inspired from another thread I recently answered and thought, since I once saw years ago a post about something like this, that I would make one of my own showing off my current stuff as well as asking if there's any fellow collectors out there with similar interest in nature.
Anyways I'll throw up some pictures, descriptions will be added later as I have to run off in half an hour for something, and I hope you guys with contribute with pictures of your own collections whether it be rocks, skulls or something third. It's okay to also show off amazing replicas/boneclones since I have a couple of those as well.

Not a very big collection since I have wasted more cash on my main interest which is comics, CE and figurines! ^^; Also note while I do have a lot of minerals, I do not care much for them and honestly I probably can't tell what half of those are!^^; And I don't really collect stuffed animals and animals in spiritz either, mainly fossils, skulls, skeletons and bones. Not pictured are my small teeth and claw collection. And I really need to get a hold of some propper boxes for my fossils and skulls but they cost almost as much as some of the items themselves if you want something which does not affect the items. And then I have stuff at school I have yet to finish as well as some hides and a pike skull not shown as I need to assemble the latter.

To be on the safe side of things, all animals are legally hunted during seasons, exterminated (some of my critters are considered pests), humanely euthanized or sadly victims of traffic or from captivity. I have very few animals/animal parts considered to be on Cites and those things have papers aside the fact we're talking about in some cases very old items. So no I have not killed anything myself! Same procedures for fossils as there are also rules about those.

Edit: Greater kudu (Tragelaphus strepsiceros) and springbok (Antidorcas marsupialis)

Edit: Various fossils from aquatic animals/lifeforms: Trillobite, various shark teeth incl two small carcharodon megalodon (black ones to the right), various ammonites, goniatite, fossil fish, enchodus teeth/jaw section and various vertebrates, crocodile teeth - scute - bone, mosasaur teeth, dolphin teeth, brachiopod, crinoid and garr scale.

Edit: Various dinosaur fossils: Carcharodontosaurus - 3 teeth and bone fragment, egshells: saltasaurus, oviraptor, megaloolitus, vertebrae: troodon/raptor, thescelosaurus, triceratops bone fragment, various unknown dinosaur bone fragments, permian bones, teeth: dromeosaur, aublysodon (aka now tyrannosaurid family most likely daspletosaurus), raptor tooth 2 spinosaurus, edmontosaurus, triceratops and an oviraptor claw fragment.

Edit: Fossil fish, fake dilong fossil, fake troodon fossil, fake trillobite fossil, ammonite ball.

Edit: Fake skull museum replica, Megatereon nihowaensis, box: various sealife fossils, on top of the box: unknown dinosaur or reptile bones, vertebrate from theropod possibly spinosaurus, "rib" like bone most likely crocodile, weird bone is unknown possibly or most likely reptile/crocodilian and a huge megalodon tooth.

Edit: Coyote (Canis latrans), Fox (Vulpes fulva), raccoon (Procyon lotor), otter (lontra canadensis), opossum (Didelphis virginiana), Porcupine (Erethizontidae sp.), skunk, pinemarten, beech marten (martes foina), mink (neovison vison), ermine/stoat (mustela erminea), least weasel (mustela nivalis), european hare (lepus europaeus), rat (rattus sp.), muskrat (Ondatra zibethicus).

Edit: I'm gonna be lazy with the birds so english names only atm: Senegal parrot, dove sp., buzzard (buteo buteo), jackdaw, hooded crow, heron, eurasian woodcock, northern fulmar, great skua, great black-backed gull, Glaucous gull, greylag goose, pink-footed goose, gadwall. The bones are phalanx - sus scrofa (pig) and humerus - cervus elaphus (red deer) and finally the spike is from an african porcupine sp.

Edit: Various minerals which I cba to look up the names for and a couple of meteor fragments.

Edit: Cavebear claw and vertebrae, mammoth tusk "casing", rabbit jaw, gastornis eggshell, teeth: mesohippus, oredont, poebrotherium, hyracodon, subhyracodon, various unknown teeth, big one possibly phytosaur sp., 2 barnacles.

Edit: European polecat (mustela putorius), Razobill (alca torda) and black crow (Corvus corone) (He used to have a small gothic cross necklace but the thread broke so I have to fix it again)
Attachments
IMG_4741.JPG
IMG_4741.JPG (56.77 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
IMG_5109.JPG
IMG_5109.JPG (72.41 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
IMG_5111.JPG
IMG_5111.JPG (62.38 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
IMG_5112.JPG
IMG_5112.JPG (56.88 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
IMG_5113.JPG
IMG_5113.JPG (63.7 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
IMG_5114.JPG
IMG_5114.JPG (42.17 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
IMG_5117.JPG
IMG_5117.JPG (41.53 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
IMG_5120.JPG
IMG_5120.JPG (60.58 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
IMG_5122.JPG
IMG_5122.JPG (69 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
IMG_5118.JPG
IMG_5118.JPG (73.42 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Re: Naturalhistory object collections (IMG heavy)

Unread post by Teigan »

That's really awesome! I've always wanted a collection like that. I don't have anywhere to put a collection of anything right now, but maybe I should make room. I am inspired.
Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

Very impressive those fossils look amazing.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

My other half is a science teacher and has a similar collection, although not nearly as extensive. His pride and joy is a replica of a narwhal tusk. He thinks these are important for fostering interest in the natural world in the students.
Lupen202
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Burning Blade, Frostwolf, Proudmoore

Unread post by Lupen202 »

Very cool :)

I have a collection of my own, though I stopped collecting. One, got to be too expensive, two running out of space and three got most of what my dream items were. A bit more difficult here in the states as laws are much more strict, especially in my state (Cali) but pretty happy with what I have gotten.

Oreodont

My pride and joy, African lion skull. Got very shortly before they went on the endangered species list and become a lot harder to find legally.

As well as a legal sea lion skull

https://lupen202.deviantart.com/

Neiara - NE Hunter - Burning Blade (US) - Denial of Service

| My Mount Collection |
| Flight Rising |

Täräin13
Petopia Artist
Realm: Argent Dawn - eu

Unread post by Täräin13 »

Teigan wrote:That's really awesome! I've always wanted a collection like that. I don't have anywhere to put a collection of anything right now, but maybe I should make room. I am inspired.
Hehe, well I must admit since I had to move into a 1 bedroom apartment while studying, it does feel a bit crammed with all my stuff. But yeah obviously I wouldn't part with something which meant something to me aside the fact these items are also useful for personal studies for art and uni work. =) But yeah if you like skulls or minerals I do recommend getting a few items if not for a collection then as decorative items. =)
Bulletdance wrote:Very impressive those fossils look amazing.
Thanks!=) I love my fossils a lot, though after I started uni I also got heavily into skulls!, and I seriously wish I had a lot of money and a big home to get the bigger ones you can obtain legally!=)
GormanGhaste wrote:My other half is a science teacher and has a similar collection, although not nearly as extensive. His pride and joy is a replica of a narwhal tusk. He thinks these are important for fostering interest in the natural world in the students.
That's pretty cool! =) and well I don't mind replicas as long they are museum replicas or very well made like my Troodon/Dilong ones!=) Besides replicas are far easier to buy and you don't drown in international bureaucracy rules and applications for cites as that process can take months to complete. and then you have a lot of other rules regarding how many times an item must be resold if it must be resold at all etc. ^^; But yeah it's important to inspire kids/students and even adults in the natural world. There are just so many amazing species and things out there!=) and speaking of narwhal tusk.... I got to destroy one for a uni project. It was illegally obtained and it was meant for destruction by the danish government, but the the project I made about teeth required narwhal among other species.

Lupen: I'm really jealous of your lion. My personal goal is to at least obtain a couple of real feline skulls with papers, though they are pricey to come by sadly though not as hard where I live because of EU rules and the fact I attend uni and now have contacts who are capable of getting a lot of really amazing animal skulls legally with papers and all. But yeah if do wanna buy in US the paper work will take months... even items from Greenland can take months and Greenland is a part of Denmark, though the rules about the animals up there are very strict. But yeah like I said at the moment 95% of my collection is game animals which are not bound by cites or any other rules at the moment at least.
And after looking at your DA page, I'm even more jealous but in a good way!^^ Would have wished my class mate had had his collection online because you would have loved it. It's literally a mini natural museum and I think he's count about 280-300 skulls of various sizes and species alone. (He also collects taxidermy animals, complete skeletons which he assembles himself and he's very good at it and he also have a decent spirits collection.)
I'm not sure about seals again here because I believe you can apply for a permit to keep a skull/animal for personal use only like otters, but I'm not entirely sure of it.
Wolves are unfortunately a completely no go after the wolf came back to Denmark, though I still say there's a very big difference in a huge american wolf compared to a smaller european one... Not to mention some people might even mistake a dog skull for a wolf and vice versa.
But yeah unless it's on Appendix I or tied to the special danish legislation regarding specific endangered/threatened danish species, then as long as you have the proper papers and/or its from before a certain date/year. You can own it.
But yeah I look things up now when I consider buying something and then I usually make up my mind to go for the game animals, pest animals or otherwise legal to buy and own animals I have also considered and wished for instead. And then I rather ask a contact for something and save up instead. Then I know where things are from at least!

Edit: forgot to say I love your Oredont skull as well. It's really nice and complete!=) Most of the ones I have seen haven't been that nice or way too expensive for my taste (it's a tax/shipping thing!).