Animal Companion...

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Animal Companion...

Unread post by Maizou »

Am I the only one who REALLY wanted to use this talent, but upon realizing it has issues, decided not to? :/

The fact it didn't benefit from Mend Pet or Camoflauge in beta has been fixed, however, it still does not benefit from Play Dead or telling your pet to stop attacking.

Which means it's pretty much impossible to leave combat if you're using animal companion.

I can't be the only one disappointed, right?
Kaiarra
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Re: Animal Companion...

Unread post by Kaiarra »

I was mainly disappointed Animal Companion AND Dire Beast are talents instead of baseline. I adored dire beast because of the amazing stable summon glyph. :(

Not sure what was wrong with having both? How on earth does barbed shot fit BM better than dire beast? Was this due to target switching whinging?

Soon as I saw that I Hunter talent tier 1, I just concluded balancing would be awful, and one of them would be the go to (and of course it's the boring one).
Sarynotsorry
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Sarynotsorry »

It seems like I’m in the minority for the petopia community, but I’m hugely relieved that AC is so bad. Hati was a pretty miserable addition to the spec - the regular pet AI is finicky enough without adding a second, even worse pet AI to the mix. To me, having hati was the disappointment that marks hunters who liked pets felt if they were competitive raiders locked into lone wolf.

Additionally, I personally prefer the aesthetic of a single pet. I never personally enjoyed the second pet being an exact match of the first, but I did like them to match in color or theme, which made matching my Transmog to my pets more difficult.

All that said, I am sad for the hati/double pet fans who were hoping for AC to be competitive. It would be nice for AC to be a reasonably competitive talent choice for those folks. I like that the second pet is a real pet from the stable. AC is likely to improve with azerite traits, and hopefully they fix the issues with its behavior.

I agree that it was fun to see which beasts popped up for dire beast. DB is still the best talent choice for aoe situations and may end up scaling better at 120. I’m really happy that DF is now barbed shot - DF was obnoxious to keep up when switching targets so having it be a shot is a definite QoL improvement to me.
Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Unread post by Iowawolf »

I feel I am on the other side after seeing it on beta and losing Hati once it went live it was the first talent I took no matter what. I think they made it suck because it is just for cosmetic reasons to give those who liked the two pet option to have it again why else would they put it on same tier with two better talents.

I for one really am liking animal companion and glad to have my two pets back this time knowing it isn't forced so those who didn't like Hati can pick another talent.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

An issue with it being bad or existing solely for cosmetic reasons is that it could be removed in the future. If only a small amount of BM hunters use it and it isn't competitive at all, then Blizz might scrap it for something else.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

It sounds like it has mechanical issues. The permanent pet needs to obey pet commands at the very least.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

The same issues that Hati had, and then some.
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I'm also ok with AC not being great for me personally, but it really needs to be alot more functional than it is and should be a viable choice for those who want it. But that being said, I'm glad it's not shaping up to be the best choice since I don't want to have to use it. As much as I grew to love Hati, I am relieved to be able to use just one pet again. It's less hectic and cluttered and glitchy. It's easier to take nice screen shots. I will use AC sometimes, but probably more for hanging around town or doing old content for mogging or whatever when I just want to bond with my pets. It's a nice option that I'm overall happy to opt out of.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

I wouldn't want to *have* to use it, but I want it as a base option. I enjoy having the two pets. It lets me have Panzer with me everywhere I go while still having a good attacking pet.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Other than the Feign Death issue, I'm not having to bad a time with AC (I make a lot of use of pet attack macros tho).

Though AC isn't really that far behind currently (though that may change once gear becomes a thing in BFA), I'd like to see it tuned properly. Like Valnaaros said, Blizz has a habit of just removing talents instead of fixing them if "not enough ppl use them".

That said, oddly enough in actual performance in raids and dungeons last few days, AC/Killer Cobra build outshines the Killer Instinct/AotB build for me by a pretty fair margin.

So just before anyone really banks on using a talent or build they don't enjoy, sim your character and try out different things. You may be surprised by the results :)

*Results may vary if your a World First Mythic raider or something tho, lol

Nimrod
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: EU - Ghostlands

Unread post by Nimrod »

In my opinion, AC should be a glyph - a cosmetic one. The additional pet should act like a normal pet, but cause no damage and be ignored by mobs (it could mirror your primary pet's healthpool).

Doesn't require balancing, doesn't cost us a talent slot, and similar enough to things like Dire Beast and Stampede - just on a more permanent basis.

Sarynotsorry
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Sarynotsorry »

Nimrod wrote:In my opinion, AC should be a glyph - a cosmetic one. The additional pet should act like a normal pet, but cause no damage and be ignored by mobs (it could mirror your primary pet's healthpool).

Doesn't require balancing, doesn't cost us a talent slot, and similar enough to things like Dire Beast and Stampede - just on a more permanent basis.

That’s a really interesting idea.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

I would *totally* be down for AC as a 'Summon Pet' glyph, honestly. 100%.
Come see Kurasu's stables!