8.1 General Discussion

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Re: 8.1 General Discussion

Unread post by Teigan »

No, no, it doesn't bug me! I just didn't know if it meant something or not. I'm sort of clueless sometimes :)
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Because just calling them a Sea Priest is not enough. Again, where are they seen using the Light and/or the Void and are not corrupted? In WoW, a Priest is someone that uses one or both of those magic types. If there isn't any place where they are found using them, then they are priests only by title, but Shamans by their actual class.

Various Tidesage npcs are seen using spells like Lightning Bolt, Thundering Squall, Slicing Blast (being hit by a strong wind burst), and other water/wind/lightning based spells. Brother Pike (uncorrupted Tidesage) uses water to help heal a man (I forget his name) during the Stormsong questline. They are seen in Stormsong Valley summoning elementals with and without totems. The wands are just a means to bind them to their service. True, you don't need to call upon elementals to use elemental magic, but you do need to draw from the Elements (Which Shaman and Tidesages do). Otherwise Shamans couldn't do anything.

Arcane "Pure arcane appears white and/or violet. However, when used to bend other types of magic, it takes on the characteristics and appearance of those magics. Examples of this can be seen with element-based abilities used by mages, or the bronze glow of chronomancy.

And why not? Tidesages are perfectly viable as Shamans. They use Shaman spells, have totems, work alongside water and air elementals (mages can't summon air elementals), they communicate with spirits and receive blessings from them. Outside of them sometimes being called Sea Priests and wearing cloth, they are just like Shamans. If we're going to go by slight differences, then Anduin is no longer a Priest since he wears plate and wields a sword, and Thrall is no longer a Shaman since he wears plate.
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

I really don't care anymore Val, you seem to base most of you evidence on options and I really don't care to argue someone else's opinion. :| :mrgreen:

Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

The ONLY way KT would get shaman is if Zandalari got paladin. Blizzard stated they wanted to keep the most shaman classes on the horde and most paladin classes on the alliance now and they wanted to stop giving either side races that can be that class. But Zandalari need to be paladins because they already have DI shaman thus breaking that stipulation. But 9/10 KT will not be able to be shaman what so ever, as Rawr stated the Tidesages are more akin to Mages/Priests. They're not shamans. They're specialized Mages/Priests. *shrug*

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I would say that it's something of a complicated mess. There's always been a lot of overlap between shaman and mages in WoW, what shaman have been defined as in WoW has little relationship to what the term was used for in the real world, and what priests worship in WoW is often a nebulous concept rather than a concrete god. So, honestly, sea priests could go either way, and could be a mix of both.

In essence, while the discussion is interesting, I wouldn't get upset if either side disagrees, because I think the discussion is based on a level of detail that isn't so well defined in the game and the designers could easily say "no, they're this" in a month's time.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Give me a fish mage please. Fish bolts.
Lamiara
Realm: EU- Moonglade, Darkmoon Faire

Unread post by Lamiara »

Regarding new nelf customization:

looks cool (if you are into the "grey alien"-look), but only from close up.
From a distance, they look like they have empty eye sockets, like that one Forsaken option.
Hopefully they add some glow to make the eyes a bit more visible.

Also, I'd appreciate if they turned down the "cheap battery"-floodlight they implanted the nelves when giving them the hideous new models.
If you have to force them, btw, please consider making the females a bit more feminine again?
Less potato-nosed, less hammer-jawed, a bit more like the original models were....?

As to Tidesages. There are many interesting, but unplayable classes already among NPC races vaguely resembling several player classes, yet unique.
Naga Tidesirens and such.
I've seen suggestions to give some spell customization to players, who then "turn" into a differently named "class" (while it's essentially just visually altered spells), like silver effects and a bow animation for nelf priests and the like.
That would be incredibly cool. Especially if access to that wasn't hid behind an "unlock"- achievement wall/repgrind/stuff at max level.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

cowmuflage wrote:Give me a fish mage please. Fish bolts.
Leaked image:

Attachments
lewzealand.png
lewzealand.png (263.58 KiB) Viewed 3570 times
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

:lol:
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

A+ on that Fish mage.
sasrei7
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by sasrei7 »

i'm still holding out for horses, I soo wanna tame one T.T here's hoping we get a full taming pass and some awesome updated models (of the ones who desperately need it!) like the ones from vanilla they really could use it for alot of them

ohhh do and no info on what classes kul tirans can be?
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

We only know for certain that they'll be Druids, but nothing else. Safe guesses are warriors, mages, rogues, and hunters; anything beyond that are maybes.
Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune/Gilneas [US]

Unread post by Thwip »

I would say Priest and maybe Paladins are high on the list for Kul'Tiras as well. (Since alliance basically get Paladins out to wazoo)

Btag name is Buu! US Horde

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

Setanta
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Terrokar, Dentarg, Alexstrasza

Unread post by Setanta »

I think the question mark with Kul'Tirans are whether or not they will be any of the following, Warlocks, Shaman, and Paladin. The other classes all make sense based upon the interactions through the storyline.

For Zandalari, they'd have to do a fair bit to explain any inclusion of a Paladin, unless they get their training from Tauren paladins which means that they potentially are substituting a "Sun God" for their potentially dead Loa.

Sargman (Void Elf) Terokkar
Serkrun (Orc) Dentarg
Untamabull (Tauren) Area 52
Sargmar (Blood Elf) Alexstrasza

If you're taking my posts 100% seriously, you're probably 150% too serious to read them.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Yeah, we don't see any Warlocks in Kul Tiras. It isn't a matter of whether or not they can be, but whether there are enough of them to justify being an option for them. Same goes for Paladins. We don't see any of them and Kul Tirans do not have as strong of a faith in the Light as other Humans do.

Shamans are the most likely out of the three due to the Tidesages. It's just a matter of whether or not Blizz decides to give the Alliance another race that can be that class. But if they give Paladins to Zandalari, then it'll even out.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Warlocks would not make much sense for Kul'Tirans, given how anti-witch their culture is.

I'll actually be rather annoyed if Kul'Tirans don't get shaman, because Tidesages are pretty much just Shaman in cloth armor. All of their spells are water/lightning magic. Though, I could see KT shaman launching later with Zandalari Paladin later, with the explanation being Brother Pike needed time to train more Tidesages after Stormsong's betrayal devastated their ranks.

As for Zandalari Paladins, until there's a new Loa of Kings, there can't be Zandalari Paladins. Unless they introduce a questline where the Blood Elves teach the Zandalari how to channel the Light.

I've seen speculation that they're building up Vol'jin to become the new Loa of Kings, which could explain why Ion has said that Zandalari Paladins may come in the future.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Dwarf Heritage Armor

Male

Female

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

So...why'd they put goats on the spaulders but cows on the helm?? :lol: :mrgreen:

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I don't think I'd use this full set on a female dwarf. I mean, I can understand them making it suit male dwarves. Female dwarves don't exist. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XihmoY0shI4
Rawr wrote:So...why'd they put goats on the spaulders but cows on the helm?? :lol: :mrgreen:
The helm horns should have been curled rams' horns
Inay
Petopia Artist
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Inay »

Do you know who we should ask to get a chance to have those fluffy new cats model in pet?

As far as I know, those are used ingame for the Crazy Cat Lady place, but not as battle pets yet.