Taming Portent as of BfA

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Jeydis
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Arathor / Arthas - US

Taming Portent as of BfA

Unread post by Jeydis »

Hello everyone,

The addiction to rare pets has kicked in again, help! And now I am out to get Portent the multicolored Quilen. Now I have looked online for his travel route but I found very little in 2018/BfA and I wanted to make sure he was sticking to his old road. Here is the path I am patrolling now:

Jeydis on Arathor-US
Click HERE to request a Signature or Avatar from me!
~~~~~~~~~
Flight Rising Lair

Dawne
Realm: Earthen Ring

Re: Taming Portent as of BfA

Unread post by Dawne »

Greetings,
This link gives some information that may be helpful for locations and tracking. I do not think that things have changed for BFA. https://www.wowhead.com/npc=50843/portent#comments
Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune/Gilneas [US]

Unread post by Thwip »

Hey! I know I'm about 10 days late on a reply, but here's some help!

BIG Edit: Let's call this my preferred hunting area! It's netted me a Portent almost every time I've went. (Which has been 4-6 since WoD, I have one of every color, and generally have one on my alt hunters.)
  • *Most of his prints are incredibly easy to see on the gold leaves.
    *His prints WERE fixed along with many others. The direction they face IS the direction he is heading.
    *The best place to find his prints are generally at my 'Start Here' area or in the giant area where most of the Mogu are camped. (Where the S curve is.)
    *The Green Line is the entire patrol route that I personally use.
Attachments
BuPortentPreference.png
BuPortentPreference.png (263.87 KiB) Viewed 3156 times
Last edited by Thwip on Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Btag name is Buu! US Horde

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I've seen his tracks in the Sha area though, and recently.

Edit: here, his tracks on Maelstrom server on a trial character just now. He walked the same path from the Shrine, up the hill and across and thru the Sha area that he's been walking for years.

And here he is coming back, and then the pup himself

Attachments
WoWScrnShot_102018_235340.jpg
WoWScrnShot_102018_235340.jpg (917.72 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
WoWScrnShot_102018_235438.jpg
WoWScrnShot_102018_235438.jpg (438.83 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
WoWScrnShot_102118_003716.jpg
WoWScrnShot_102118_003716.jpg (477.24 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
WoWScrnShot_102118_004012.jpg
WoWScrnShot_102118_004012.jpg (399.92 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
WoWScrnShot_102118_004325.jpg
WoWScrnShot_102118_004325.jpg (479.5 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Thwip »

Weird. I've literally never seen his prints up through that area after the Vale fell. All my tames have been (Around 5) down on the uncorrupted side of the Vale. I even followed his prints for a good while several occassions. Where I marked is where I tracked them. He would get to that hill marked with the 'start here' and stop, then turn around and go back. Are there two separate pats then? Because he's always, always been in the West/Uncorrupted area for me every time I go.

Let me edit my post a bit then so I'm not also spreading the misconception I thought I was trying to fix. Ha.

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

Perhaps he does, but I followed him from the corrupted side to the uncorrupted side and back.
Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Thwip »

Maybe he was just messing with me the day I was actually following his prints to see where he went. Not the first time we've had ones just stop mid pat and turn around.

Also fixed my post to be a little bit better and more of a 'Hey, this is where I have the best luck'. I'm a bit surprised, honestly. Cause I caught multiples of him only recently in that same pat I posted. AND followed the prints on it multiple times. I've never seen him on the bad part of the veil since it got broked. At least I know now, ha. Although, I'm also to a point where the color I want is never up and the doggos in the raid are available to tame. :lol:

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

Teigan

Unread post by Teigan »

:lol: I mentally refer to him as "Tricky Dog." And this just strengthens that! I almost never see his tracks on the side where you have the most luck. Tricky, tricky dog.
Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Thwip »

Yeah! No kidding! I'm now compelled to see if I can find his prints on the side YOU find him on and see if he even -ever- cross connected with the side I find him on at all just to see if it's two separate pat runs or one giant one.

Tricky Dog Compels Me!

Update!: After about an hour of following Portent around, I have updated my previous map. His pat is still one giant one! No idea why I've never seen him pat across the bad side until I actually stopped long enough to find him. Ha. However, I made a nice map for everybody! (My original S Curve was way off, that's what I get for trying to make it from memory!)

I found that his prints are horrendously hard to see/find on the corrupted side of the vale. I almost lost him several times due to this. Even had to zoom into mouselook mode just to find them again. I would still recommend hunting on the better side as the prints are much easier to locate and track.

Attachments
PortentTracking2018.png
PortentTracking2018.png (580.1 KiB) Viewed 3155 times

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

His path pretty much remains the same as when MoP came out, as I think Blizzard never adjusted it to the changes the Vale went through. However he spawns right next to the Mogu'shan Palace, so that's a good place to camp and throw Flares if you're not sure he's up or not. He also does spawn out of Stealth for a second or two so addons like NPC Scan and Silver Dragon will give out their alerts.

Or you can just go into Mogu'shan Vault on Heroic and tame one of the 4 guardians there, as then you get to chose which color you want instead of waiting for Portent to spawn in the correct one.
ImageImage
Jeydis
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Arathor / Arthas - US

Unread post by Jeydis »

Thwip wrote:Yeah! No kidding! I'm now compelled to see if I can find his prints on the side YOU find him on and see if he even -ever- cross connected with the side I find him on at all just to see if it's two separate pat runs or one giant one.

Tricky Dog Compels Me!

Update!: After about an hour of following Portent around, I have updated my previous map. His pat is still one giant one! No idea why I've never seen him pat across the bad side until I actually stopped long enough to find him. Ha. However, I made a nice map for everybody! (My original S Curve was way off, that's what I get for trying to make it from memory!)

I found that his prints are horrendously hard to see/find on the corrupted side of the vale. I almost lost him several times due to this. Even had to zoom into mouselook mode just to find them again. I would still recommend hunting on the better side as the prints are much easier to locate and track.

That is absolutely perfect. Sorry I missed your messages. This is a much better pat route than my initial one.
Shinryu Masaki wrote:His path pretty much remains the same as when MoP came out, as I think Blizzard never adjusted it to the changes the Vale went through. However he spawns right next to the Mogu'shan Palace, so that's a good place to camp and throw Flares if you're not sure he's up or not. He also does spawn out of Stealth for a second or two so addons like NPC Scan and Silver Dragon will give out their alerts.

Or you can just go into Mogu'shan Vault on Heroic and tame one of the 4 guardians there, as then you get to chose which color you want instead of waiting for Portent to spawn in the correct one.
The Vault ones lack the ornamentation that I particularly like for the model so I will keep going for the Tricky Dog. Good to know about the scans though I will keep that in mind.

Jeydis on Arathor-US
Click HERE to request a Signature or Avatar from me!
~~~~~~~~~
Flight Rising Lair

Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

Jeydis wrote:The Vault ones lack the ornamentation that I particularly like for the model so I will keep going for the Tricky Dog. Good to know about the scans though I will keep that in mind.
All 4 color variants of the ornate stone quilen are in the Vault, though like I said in my post, you need to go there on Heroic, as Normal only spawns 3 guardians while Heroic spawns all 4.
ImageImage