Petopia Classic - initial discussion

Discuss WoW Classic and give feedback for our Petopia Classic sites, including Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Re: WoW CLASSIC Petopia

Unread post by Ana »

I remember my pet having to learn fire resistance for raiding in molen core when it came out. .plus Tårnfalk (Tivoli back then ) had to aquire a black dragonscale set before I could be allowed into the raiding. . 40 man molten core took aaages back then.. fun memories.

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Niabi wrote:Reflecting on it a bit. Slapperfish was right about the pet talent trees being introduced in Wrath. Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrtvj1SoUFo.

I do remember something along the ways of spending points to increase the abilities of your pets though. So perhaps Rikaku was also right in that there was a sort of pseudo pet talent tree thing-a-ma-jig in place during vanilla WoW.

I apologize for any mis-information I may have given. It's not easy to remember every single fact of something that has changed and evolved a gajillion times over the span of 14 years.

Honestly, I ended up looking through some old info way longer than I expected to because MAN did the nostalgia hit me. I remember looking up all these pets and things during lunch at college because I couldn't wait to get home and play LOL And TBH I think I'm wrong, I think the pseudo-talent tree that I first mentioned might've come from TBC; which them was updated with WotLK. From what I found, there was no specializations (at least not in the current sense) or talent trees for pets in Classic.

Anyways, sorry if this has been repeated elsewhere, but I thought I'd share some of what I found (and what I remember) in case it proved useful.

I do remember in classic (though I don't think there were pet talents or training points yet?) that in order to get higher ranks of abilities (Like Bite or Claw) you actually had to tame a pet in the wild that had that ability. You had to feed it, use it, and eventually you would get a notification on your chat log that "You have learned Bite (Rank 6)!" or whatever. I distinctly remember that, because I know we only had 3 stable slots and you had to keep 1 open so you could tame a wild pet, learn the skill and release it to repeat the process for every skill.

This site I bumped into actually had the listed ranks and which wild mobs had it for the Classic WoW stuff.
http://vanillawowhunter.com/vanilla-wow-pet-skills/

This is what actually reminded me of something else I had forgotten entirely about Hunter pets.

Hunters used to have an extra spell, Beast Training. That is where you spent your Training Points to teach your pet the Bite (Rank 6) you just learned (using the example above). And you earned Training Points by leveling your pet's Loyalty.

This video I found was really really useful in jogging my memory and re-explaining the process of pet Loyalty, Learning Wild Skills, and teaching it to your pet in Classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnNnNkiV9KE

At about 1:50, you'll hear him explain the Beast Training and TP process.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Ohh yeah cover.. the skill you never learned because it was so utterly useless.. heh I remember :D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Kiingeh
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Re: Petopia Classic - initial discussion

Unread post by Kiingeh »

Should note that as well as the 3 stat modifiers (Health, Armor, Damage) they also had different base stats (Agi,Str,Stam,AttackSpeed,etc) varying between species and sometimes even within the same species, one pet of particular note was Broken Tooth in the Badlands which is a cat with a base attack speed of 1 second, making him one of the best pets to use (especially against casters). I remember all the Hunters in my guild camping him for ages.

May be worth including these details?
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Petopia Classic - initial discussion

Unread post by Wain »

Kiingeh wrote:Should note that as well as the 3 stat modifiers (Health, Armor, Damage) they also had different base stats (Agi,Str,Stam,AttackSpeed,etc) varying between species and sometimes even within the same species, one pet of particular note was Broken Tooth in the Badlands which is a cat with a base attack speed of 1 second, making him one of the best pets to use (especially against casters). I remember all the Hunters in my guild camping him for ages.

May be worth including these details?
Definitely! I'm still to track down any info on that. I assume it's on the old Petopia site somewhere but I haven't seen it yet.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.