BfA Pet Bug List

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

BfA Pet Bug List

Unread post by Wain »

Here's a list of known (or suspected) bugs related to hunter pets in BfA. Do you have any to add?

I. Miscellaenous Bugs

Combat Bugs (8.3)
  • Rukhran and the two Fel Ravens from Hellfire Citadel are reported to have combat issues: they both stand at range and possibly don't do as much damage as a result. Source: viewtopic.php?p=614746#p614746
Size matters
  • Lalathin is really tiny *before* taming. Source.
  • Suntouched Falcon is a bit large , though not ridiculously so
  • At least two toads are comically small when tamed: Bufo (72775) and Marsh Gulper (72775) become minipet-sized. All toads could scale a bit bigger but these are comically tiny.

Attack speed variation
  • It’s been noticed that pets are now retaining pre-tame attack speeds after taming. According to people who theorycraft this kind of thing there isn’t currently any noticeable difference in dps, but I’m mentioning it because it could become significant if the mechanics change. Reference thread: http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25519
Wrong portrait
  • Nothing serious, but two saurolisks have trogg portraits after being tamed. This is because they had trogg riders before taming (the trogg falls off and dies when tamed) and the NPC seems to have been treated as a trogg, despite the saurolisk beast being the primary model. They are: Mugg (127290) and Grimestone Handler (127203).

II. Wrongly-classified creatures

Should be Beasts
  • Rustfeather (152182) in Mechagon is classed as a Mechanical, when it's a dread raven model, so should be a Beast & Bird of Prey. It should perhaps also switch to the model "Creature/RavenLord/RavenLord", from its current "DreadRavenWarbird", because the former has no armour on it and it's kinda weird that birds on Mechagon are wearing distinctive Arakkoan armour :) The RavenLord model folder def. contains the same brown "dreadravenwarbirdwind" skin, so it can be configured for it. The same goes for the Rustwing Ravens and Rustwing Scavengers in the same area.

Continued in next post...
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: BfA Pet Bug List

Unread post by Wain »

III. Possible wrong models

Toad beasts using new critter model that could be switched to new beast model
The following new toads are all beasts, not critters, but they use the low-poly (critter quality) 'toadswamp' model. Some are also very tiny for beasts. They should probably use the higher-res 'toadloa_small' model, which seems to be the intended model for wild beasts, is much better quality than 'toadswamp', but lacks the ornamentation of the loa model:
Miscellaneous
  • Bore Worm (68221) was the only old larva that wasn't updated to the new larva2 model. It wasn't tameable, but worth noting since it was clearly intended to switch.
Pterrordaxes
A bunch of pterrordaxes using the old model weren't updated to the new one, and may have been intended to be: These two in Pandaria are being ridden by Zandalari and could maybe be updated to the new mount model instead of the new wild one.
IV. Untameable creatures that could be flagged tameable

Here's a bulk list of things that are untameable currently, but I think are good candidates for taming:

http://www.wow-petopia.com/tamecheck.php

It's too big to just paste here.

I omitted anything that is (i) friendly to both factions, (ii) friendly to one faction and in an area (city, town) belonging to that faction, (iii) clearly meant to be some other NPC's pet or under their command, (iv) part of a boss fight, (v) part of Island Expeditions (IE beasts are definitely not meant to be tameable).

Continued in next post...
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Reserved.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

VI. FIXED - Patch 8.3

Lalathin still unavailable?
  • The only fel hippogryph, Lalathin, was designed to only be available when the world raid quest "The Nighthold: Love Tap" is up. But since BfA, Legion raid quests don't seem to be popping, so nobody has seen Lalathin. Reference thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25814
Should be Beasts
  • Shale Crawler (126749) currently has no classification and so can't be tamed.
  • Frenzied Pterrordax (113040) (Emerald Nightmare Raid) should be classed as a Beast. It's currently classed as an Elemental, which is almost certainly a mistake, despite being flagged in the Pterrordax family. It's a grey classic pterrordax, which is currently not available on a tame.
  • Dreadtick Latcher (134057) in Nazmir. It should probably also use the regular bloodtick model rather than the lower-res critter one, since it's used as a regular creature. Note that this is a different ID to the nearby tameable Dreadtick Latchers.
Iron Juggernaut level/taming issues
  • Still broken in current PTR build, 04 Dec 2018. Since BfA, the four iron juggernauts you can create and tame in SoO always appear level 120, instead of the player's level. So they can't be tamed before 120 and are wasted. Reference thread: http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25594
    Note that I can’t easily confirm if this is still bugged since my hunter is 120 and it works fine at that level.

Birds wrongly classified as Carrion Birds - should be switched to Birds of Prey
Falcons, parrots and sea birds are normally classified as Birds of Prey Miscellaneous
  • Shadowclaw (149663 and other IDs) should probably use new nightsaber2 model, with nightsaber2purple skin, to match the mount it can drop. Currently it uses the broken isles saber model, which seems like a placeholder.

VI. FIXED - Patch 8.1.5

Void stalker family – wrong spec?
  • The voidstalker starter pet given to Void Elves has its own one-pet family, but in practice it has otherwise been kept identical to regular warp stalkers. However it appears that the Void Stalker family has been classed as Tenacity, while all other Warp Stalkers are Cunning. We don't know if this is intentional or a mistake. - now classed as a Warp Stalker, the Void Stalker family is now redundant
Should be Beasts
  • Dreadtick Latcher (126749) currently has no classification and so can't be tamed. It's the only orange blood tick. I accidentally left this one off the list originally. - now a beast and tameable
VI. FIXED - Patch 8.1

Missing Family Abilities
  • Two pet families are missing their special ability: Direhorns (Gore) and Basilisks (Petrifying Gaze).
Animation bugs
  • It appears that the new bee model has an animation glitch when idle that is distracting enough to cause hunters to avoid using them. It has been described as an unnatural bobbing up and down, as if it "goes from idle standing to walking animation but it's still standing". Reference thread: http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25599
Skin / texture errors on model Wrong skins - definite mistake
  • Lava Scarab (47079) was mistakenly updated from silithidscarabskinred to uldumscarab2skinred (which, despite the name, is green!). It should have been to silithidscarab2skinred. - now uses silithidscarab2skinred
  • Coppertooth Pup (138316) (draenor wolf model) has an error in one of its skins. One is a regular brown skin, but the other is a mount skin, and so the pup has odd bands on random parts of its body, that on the mount would represent saddle straps. Essentially it should be using "wolfdraenorrusticyellow" but seems to have accidentally been set to "wolfdraenormountrusticyellow". It could also possibly be switched to the wolf pup model that uses the same skins, as it might be more fitting for the pups here. This NPC has never been tameable so there's no risk of a hunter ending up with a pet puppy. - - still uses adult model, but non-mount colours (and still untameable)
  • Karkin (50959) was mistakenly switched to the updated skin crab2_diamond (pale blue gem) instead of the proper updated skin - crab2_darkdiamond_default
NPCs that are in the wrong category (Beasts sa Humanoids, etc.)
  • The Hornet (137450) - tameable beast in 8.1
  • Stormsong Crane (134316) - tameable beast in 8.1
  • Gahz’ralka (129954) - tameable beast in 8.1
  • The Golden Serpent (135322) - actually, probably intended to be elemental, since the journal lists it as a construct
  • Lucille (134296) - untameable demon in 8.1
  • Young Dreadtick (122335) (classed as Blood Beast, but not as Beast) - a tameable beast in 8.1
  • Alash'anir (148787) should be Beast - Chimaera, not elemental.
  • Glimmerspine (149654) classed as a Humanoid instead of Beast - Crab. It's level 121 but could be flagged tameable for next expansion.
  • Trained Saurid (58071) and Fierce Anklebiter (69244) should be classed as raptors.
  • Glrglrr (147744 vignette) is classed as a beast and has a crab for its portrait. But it's actually a combo NPC - of a Murloc and the crab it rides, and since its title is "Greymist Chieftain" the murloc should probably be treated as the primary, so class it as an aberration (assuming the murlocs area intended to be aberrations as that's how they're classed) and give it the portrait of the murloc. - Now a humanoid, and his crab, Amberclaw, is separate (and untameable)
  • Shallows Crawler (147748 and 147738) should both be classed as crabs, even if too high to tame.
Birds wrongly classified as Carrion Birds - should be switched to Birds of Prey
Falcons, parrots and sea birds are normally classified as Birds of Prey Birds wrongly classified as Birds of Prey - should be switched to Carrion Birds
Ravens and condors are usually classified as Carrion Birds **Note: it's likely a mistake that the Mountain Hawk from Stormsong uses the condor model, and it is quite likely a placeholder that was meant to have been switched to the 'birdsofprey' model once it was introduced. In which case it should stay a Bird of Prey, but change to the new model. - It's staying a BoP but switching to the previously unused red and black hawk appearance!
Wasps wrongly classified as Silithids - should be switched to Wasps
Even though wasps are part of silithid hives, they have always been classified as Wasps, not Silithids Maybe should be Critters, or their models changed?
  • Glitterlight Flitter (130681) in Atal'Dazar uses the critter moth model (so has rough, chunky wings) but is classified as a beast. Unsure if it should be reclassified as a critter or the model switched to the hi-res one. - Critter in 8.1
Miscellaneous
  • Mountain Hawk (135632) (possibly also ID 136311) in Stormsong Valley is a Bird of Prey using the old condor model (meant for carrion birds) but was probably meant to use the new birdofprey / hawk model, e.g. one of these - now a proper (red-tailed) hawk
  • Brinebeak Hatchling (139253) is supposed to be the young of Nestmother Acada (which was originally an albatross but was changed in late Beta to be a vulture). It's still an albatross, so perhaps it should also be changed to use the vulture version of the model, with maybe the white or brown vulture skin. - now a vulture, same black colour as Acada in 8.1
  • Juvenile Thumpknuckle (130512) is meant to be a young gorilla, but it's using the monkey model (complete with tail!) and is in the Gorilla family when tamed. It should probably use the new gorilla model. Suggestion: perhaps without the beard (note: with the new gorilla model the beard geoset can be optionally switched off!) - now proper gorillas (with beards) in 8.1
  • Two ravasaurs in Nazmir - the Scrounger Patriarch (127873) and Scrounger Youngling (127870) are almost certainly using the wrong model and should probably be using the new ravasaur model. Instead, they're using the Draenor-era raptor model, which was probably a placeholder until the new ravasaur was ready. The other Scrounger raptors in their tribe use the new ravasaur model, just those two didn't get switched. - updated to the ravasaur model in 8.1
  • Glitterlight Flitter (130681) in Atal'Dazar uses the critter moth model (so has rough, chunky wings) but is classified as a beast. Unsure if it should be reclassified as a critter or the model switched to the hi-res one. - it's a critter in 8.1
Shouldn't be tameable, but is currently
  • Encrusted Kingscuttler (138896) is in Island Expeditions and shouldn't be tameable. Taming it actually halts progress of the scenario until it's dismissed. This is the only tameable IE NPC that we know of.
  • The Big One (136561) and The Big One (127666) aren't tameable in practice but are flagged tameable and perhaps shouldn't be, since they're both (presumably) instances of Jani, the Trash Loa :)
  • Coati (131704) is flagged tameable but probably shouldn't be, since it's the pet of an NPC hunter. It's level 122 so can't be tamed yet anyway.
Size
  • Many toads are still tiny after taming, e.g. Croaker (140938). Please let me know of others so we can document all models which are too tiny. - they seem to be an OK size now
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Nothing immediately comes to mind, but if I see anything or remember any bugs then I'll definately post them here :)
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Very good list, Wain! Hopefully we'll see fixes/changes to these things soon :)

The only thing that I might correct is the Golden Serpent. It spits gold during the fight, is able to control it, and its dungeom journal refers to it as being created (if I remember correctly). So it being an Elemental might be the correct classification. :)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Valnaaros wrote:The only thing that I might correct is the Golden Serpent. It spits gold during the fight, is able to control it, and its dungeom journal refers to it as being created (if I remember correctly). So it being an Elemental might be the correct classification. :)
Ahhh ok. I hadn't read that, but it makes sense :) I guess it can't hurt to leave it on there for now and they can decide.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I just remembered and added the iron juggernaut taming bug. Any others this list is missing? :).

Also: I had confirmation that Island Expeditions beasts should never be tameable so I won't include them in the taming candidates list. I've added the tameable Encrusted Kingscuttler to the bugs list since it's in IE and causes issues when tamed.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I figured as much. Being able to tame the rares or elites could potentially ruin an expedition.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Under Pterrordaxes, you say that the old models weren't updated. Why do you think they should have been? They're totally different versions of Pterrordax, just like the raptors have normal, Outland, Draenor, and Zandalar variants. They definitely shouldn't be unnecessarily changed to a generalized and newer look unless it's a faithful recreation, much like many other beasts got. Likewise, "and all are currently untameable" is incorrect; the two found in Un'goro Crater (non-instanced) are tameable. I have the green one as one of my favorite pets.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

You're right about that tameability line - I'm not even sure why that was there, thanks. As for switching to the new model, they can decide what they want to do, but I'd say it's clear that three of the new colours were intended to match the originals and so it's probably intended for them to be upgraded. And they're a much closer fit than many of the creatures they forced to fit the new models. Anyway, they're there so the designers can decide. The original is very low poly, and is not much more than an old bat with a different head stuck on.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Animation Bugs

The hind legs of Wyverns and Wolfhawks (particularly the hind right leg) look broken near the ankle. This one has been around for a long time, but nonetheless should be fixed.

The new mech parrot has an animation issue around its feet. When it is using its idle flying animation, these two "bolts" keep popping in and out of its feet. I am not sure if this is a problem restricted to the saddled version or if both the saddled and non-saddled versions have it.
Tsukina
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shen'dralar

Unread post by Tsukina »

The truth did not know where to put it.
First and as always, ask for forgiveness for my English as an automatic translator.

I wanted to inform that the Ji'arak Broodling (Purple Pterrordax http://www.wow-petopia.com/look.php?id= ... ax2_purple) ingame if they are marked as tameable, only that they are 122 and we 120 and we have to wait but it seems that we can have purple flying babies that if waiting to be higher than nvl and touch the boss to make an appearance.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Tsukina wrote:The truth did not know where to put it.
First and as always, ask for forgiveness for my English as an automatic translator.

I wanted to inform that the Ji'arak Broodling (Purple Pterrordax http://www.wow-petopia.com/look.php?id= ... ax2_purple) ingame if they are marked as tameable, only that they are 122 and we 120 and we have to wait but it seems that we can have purple flying babies that if waiting to be higher than nvl and touch the boss to make an appearance.
Thanks :) I've put that in the notes for that pet: "This pterrordax is flagged tameable but its level is currently too high."
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

All the stuff that has been fixed on the PTR (there's lots!) I've moved to this post: http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic ... 06#p601506

The remaining stuff is either not fixed or hasn't been checked yet.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

The Albatrocity WQ was up in Boralus today, so I could check on the Agitated Albatross - in 8.1 it's a Bird of Prey like the others. That means all albatrosses are now checked and only the Brinebeak one is in the wrong family.

I also ran into Kil'Tawan, a giant tan direhorn in Zuldazar. She's tameable in 8.1. Oddly, she was up despite her associated world quest ("A Nose for Ptrouble") not being present, so maybe she spawns all the time in 8.1. They have made at least one other NPC change to that area in 8.1 (added the N'Chala the Egg Thief) so maybe they changed her as well. I'm not sure if there's something else going on in that area in the new patch.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

She isn’t always up. I checked for her the day that the build deployed and I could’t find it. It looks like she always could spawn without the WQ, but it was random.
GAJones4221
Realm: Malfurion

Unread post by GAJones4221 »

Maybe it's just mine but sky screamers seem to have the running sound of mechanicals.

nvm apparently with animal companion unlike hati who was dead silent as was my mechano wolf who only used to do annoying growls every 10 seconds now they have a really loud walking sound to let you know their walking, so its not the sky screamer.
GAJones4221
Realm: Malfurion

Unread post by GAJones4221 »

I'm not sure if this falls under bug or glitch but "Osca the Bloodied" his model isn't displaying the arrows stuck in him correctly, they now float by his face. I went to his tame location and did a re tame to make sure it wasn't just my pet glitching out. It's not. See for yourself

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Oh weird!