Hunter Pets and Island Expeditions

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Hunter Pets and Island Expeditions

Unread post by Niabi »

Just curious. Do you leave your pet's growl on when doing island expeditions?

I was running one today and became the recipient of some snarky backlash from my other two teammates (a paladin and a priest - but mostly the paladin) because my pet's growl was left on. Never was an issue until now but apparently, for some reason it was with this particular group. I assume it had to have been an ego thing for the paladin because it infringed on his ability to pull mass quantities of mobs and AOE them down like the badass he thinks he is. As to why the priest agreed with the criticism, I have no idea. None of us died as a result of my actions and yet, the two of them ganging up against me made me doubt my ability to play my own class competently.

I have made my fair share of goof-ups in the past and want to move forward from this with a clean conscience. If I was in the wrong, I trust my fellow hunter community to tell me the truth. Are island expeditions expected to uphold the same rules that govern pets in a dungeon or raid or was this just another incident of player toxicity?

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: Hunter Pets and Island Expeditions

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I think it was just toxicity. I’ve never had any experience nor heard of it being a problem for Hunters to leave growl on.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Sounds like it was just a nitpicky group.

I run with a tank, so I have growl off. I selectively growl certain mobs that have high AOE damage so the tank doesn't get wrecked but we're communicating the entire time about that. But we don't care if the 3rd person is another hunter/lock using a pet to tank, or if they're healing, or if they honestly just afk in one place the whole time.

Only people I've given a hard time to are ones that literally run around the entire zone, pull everything, and then bring them all back to us - no one's geared enough yet to take out half the island at once.

Absolute best folks are ones that do decent (or at least consistent) damage, that remember to help pick up orbs, chests and crystals, that stay with the group, that help interrupt or dispel enrages if possible, etc.
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Niabi »

Funny thing is, when the paladin first commented about the growl being on I didn't object or say anything rude in return. I just said "ok" and turned growl off. Problem solved.

It didn't stop there though. The paladin and priest eventually ran off and left me alone while I was rushed by the alliance team. I asked for them to come back and help but they just lol'ed in the chat and ignored me. They then proceeded to inform me how much I suck at being a hunter and that if I knew how to play better, I wouldn't need to ask for help. Um, excuse me!? It's 3 (4 if you count their hunter pet) against 1 and I survived (barely) but you say I don't know how to play my class well!? It just really got to me.

Didn't help at all that I had dealt with a failed LFR attempt at G'huun the night before. It was my first time doing the fight, as well as a couple of others, but it didn't stop that one guy who continuously berated everyone for not knowing how to do the orbs. I gave it 4 wipes before I threw in the towel and left. I was willing to learn but no one wanted to step up and explain anything. The only attempt at helping anyone understand the fight better was to say "read the damn raid guide". Reading about the mechanics of a fight and doing it are two different things in my book but whatever! I guess I've been dealing with a lot of elitist mentality lately and it's been getting under my skin.
Last edited by Niabi on Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flight Rising

Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I've never had a group take issue with growl and haven't heard this before. I think you just lucked out and got a nasty group. I have had some weird experiences with islands though. Like once I got yelled at for picking up azerite even though they were also picking up azerite, and got yelled at for attacking mobs they were attacking, so I finally just gave up and followed them around not doing anything. There's some strange folks out there....
Dewclaw
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Dewclaw »

if there's a tank, i generally turn it off. Otherwise, it's on. And I do try to pay attention to the tank's health and I'll hit growl if they're getting low to give them time to recover.
Setanta
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Terrokar, Dentarg, Alexstrasza

Unread post by Setanta »

Dewclaw wrote:if there's a tank, i generally turn it off. Otherwise, it's on. And I do try to pay attention to the tank's health and I'll hit growl if they're getting low to give them time to recover.
This is generally how I choose when to have growl on or off in an Island Expedition

Sargman (Void Elf) Terokkar
Serkrun (Orc) Dentarg
Untamabull (Tauren) Area 52
Sargmar (Blood Elf) Alexstrasza

If you're taking my posts 100% seriously, you're probably 150% too serious to read them.
Zoruaronan
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Thrall

Unread post by Zoruaronan »

Dont worry bout it. We hunter have a bad reputation anyway. its just some 5 year old being toxic and probably just lives in his moms basement and plays fortnite all day :lol: ;)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

It sounds like you just ran into a pair of shitty people, who probably know each other. Sorry you experienced that, but it happens now and then :(
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

I always use whatever pet that I feel like and I leave the growl on. In that type of situation, my understanding is while you are to work together, you are supposed to be able to take care of yourself. Keeping growl on my pet is how I ensure my survive-ability and do not have to rely on someone else to keep me alive. If they asked me about turning growl off I would consider it, but it has never been a problem for me in those three man groups.

I am sorry it happened-dont let it spoil the fun of the game. Just consider how small and self centered those people had to be to constantly be mocking a stranger. *shrug*
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Niabi »

Shade wrote:In that type of situation, my understanding is while you are to work together, you are supposed to be able to take care of yourself. Keeping growl on my pet is how I ensure my survive-ability and do not have to rely on someone else to keep me alive.
That was my understanding of the situation as well. I'm relieved someone else said it. Thank you!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Now that I've had time to reflect on it, I'm not feeling quite so sensitive about the situation anymore. Maybe I should've said something to the group in that moment but it probably wouldn't have done me any good. Chances are I'll never see or hear from those players again anyhow.

Flight Rising

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I keep it on until the tank demonstrates they can pull a large pack *AND* keep aggro *AND* stay alive. My clefthoof tanks 95% of my island runs at the end of the day, granted I only do heroic. However if I get a tank that can pull a lot and handle it, ill let them do their thing thing because thats so much fun. It just seems rare for me. I try to be a team player tho!

"Let me pull everything"
*20 seconds later* DED
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

To me, it sounds like you just got unlucky and ended up with a couple jerks.

I tend to leave growl on for Island pugs, but if it looks like there's a competent tank, I'll turn it off. That's pretty rare, though. I've run into too many 'tanks' who run in, do some sort of aoe, then run off to grab more mobs down the road, leaving me and/or a healer/dps stuck getting aggro easily. Personally, I'd rather play it safe and be prepared to tank everything than rely on someone I don't know. At least, until they've proven themself.
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Niabi »

Boven wrote:I've run into too many 'tanks' who run in, do some sort of aoe, then run off to grab more mobs down the road, leaving me and/or a healer/dps stuck getting aggro easily.
Quiv wrote:"Let me pull everything"
*20 seconds later* DED
ERMAHGERD YEAS!!! This happens way too much!

Flight Rising

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Niabi wrote:
Boven wrote:I've run into too many 'tanks' who run in, do some sort of aoe, then run off to grab more mobs down the road, leaving me and/or a healer/dps stuck getting aggro easily.
Quiv wrote:"Let me pull everything"
*20 seconds later* DED
ERMAHGERD YEAS!!! This happens way too much!
It's fine if they announce their plans and ask everyone to hold off, but they rarely do. It seems that communication is rare these days, unless you're angry about something. I always say hello to every IE group I join - there's just three of us, it's not like it's a big crowd and it feels weird not to - but it's very rare anyone else says anything unless they're angry.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Sounds like just toxic players.

I run with my pets growl on, never had an issue. I try and communicate with the group, and co-ordinate our plans accordingly. Though more and more lately I've been running expeditions with my Dad and Friend so we chat over discord. Just easier to run with people you know.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Lycanthrope
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Sisters of Elune, Cenarion Circle, Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Lycanthrope »

Eh, you just got unlucky.
I've got 4 Hunters at max level (2 Ally, 2 Horde) and haven't had an issue at all.
Tell'em to fek off and if they don't like it I'd hit Block!
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Playing a healer and I'd absolutely expect the hunter to keep growl on. DPS is tank, unless you have a very OCD tank, why wouldn't you?