8.1.5 - special NPCs retain names when tamed

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Slapperfish

(deleted)

Unread post by Slapperfish »

(deleted)
Last edited by Slapperfish on Sun May 09, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: 8.1.5 - special NPCs retain names when tamed

Unread post by Wain »

Slapperfish wrote:As a side note, I just checked all the tameable rares to see which one had the longest possible name.

Currently, Blackshell the Impenetrable holds the record at a whopping 27 characters, including spaces. Krethis the Shadowspinner and Slogtusk the Corpse-Eater have the second longest names, at 25 characters.
:D

I have an extended list of recommendations (it contains a lot of non-rare named NPCs that could also retain their names), but Blackshell the Impenetrable still remains the longest name.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
pawprintedheart
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Stormrage, WrA

Unread post by pawprintedheart »

EEEE! We can rename Hati?!!!!! OMG that is fantastic news! Rel, my skoll, is finally get his new form with his true name!!!!! :headbang:

:hug: wow devs LOVE :hug:
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Wasn't there a silith Queen bug named Mania?

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Slapperfish

(deleted)

Unread post by Slapperfish »

(deleted)
Last edited by Slapperfish on Sun May 09, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Decided to waste some gold. I bought a few Certificate of Ownership, and copied my hunter over with them. Right now on PTR, the certificate does nothing and gets consumed. Hoping that they'll rename to their wild names, because that was a good 3k gold I spent on an insignificant item.

FOR SCIENCE.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote:Decided to waste some gold. I bought a few Certificate of Ownership, and copied my hunter over with them. Right now on PTR, the certificate does nothing and gets consumed. Hoping that they'll rename to their wild names, because that was a good 3k gold I spent on an insignificant item.

FOR SCIENCE.
Are you saying the Certificate of Ownership isn't working for any pet on the PTR, or just specific ones?

And just checking, you know you have to use the 'rename' function on the pet's portrait after you use the certificate, right? :)
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

The item can be used, but it does nothing. The item is consumed, and the pet does not get the rename option. It's a bit lame, but it's PTR; can't expect stuff to actually work, right?

And yes, I know.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote:The item can be used, but it does nothing. The item is consumed, and the pet does not get the rename option. It's a bit lame, but it's PTR; can't expect stuff to actually work, right?

And yes, I know.
Yeah, PTRs are for bug checking :) And Ssorry, I just had to check, since it's a common complaint that people think it hasn't worked because they don't realize you still have to use the rename option.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Side thing I noticed while playing on PTR as well; Hardshell Pincher, spawned during the Tambano fight, are not actually rare. They are listed as rare on the site. I had myself parked out near Tambano for some dumb reason on one of my characters, and it attacked me when I copied and logged in.

No cute rare crabs from this fight.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote:Side thing I noticed while playing on PTR as well; Hardshell Pincher, spawned during the Tambano fight, are not actually rare. They are listed as rare on the site. I had myself parked out near Tambano for some dumb reason on one of my characters, and it attacked me when I copied and logged in.

No cute rare crabs from this fight.
Thanks I'll change it. I think I designated them rare because they only spawn from a rare fight. The problem is, the "rare" NPC that spawns them isn't really rare and so the designation is pretty meaningless these days. If they spawned from a truly rare fight then it would be useful to point that out.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Little bit of info, for those who haven't tried; using the Certificate of Ownership will NOT allow you to properly name your previously tamed rares. You'll need to retame them. On another note, if you have not renamed your tamed Spirit Beasts prior to the patch, you will never be able to see "Spirit Beast" as a name on any of your SBs other than non-rare mana sabers and Lost Netherwolf.
Jango
Realm: Defias Brotherhood

Unread post by Jango »

Just tamed King Krush and Loque'nahak on Defias Brotherhood both retained their names, Thok the Bloodthirsty did not!
Valariel
Realm: Alleria

Unread post by Valariel »

Hmm i cant tame this one.
https://www.wow-petopia.com/npc.php?id=51037
Lost Gilnean Wardog, maybe the german name "Verirrter gilnearischer Kriegshund" is too long.

https://www.wow-petopia.com/npc.php?id=51000
Blackshell's name is in german also too long "Schwarzpanzer der Undurchdringliche"
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Bowno wrote:Wait.. his name is p4?!

AAAAAAAAAAA
Holy shit that's a good spot! I love ginga densestu weed (and Gin) :D

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I'm gonna have to sift through all the named rares and see if there's some it's worth going to tame/re-tame, since we can't reset the names. I'm going to have to for Loque, unfortunately. That should be fun....
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Valariel wrote:Hmm i cant tame this one.
Lost Gilnean Wardog, maybe the german name "Verirrter gilnearischer Kriegshund" is too long.

Blackshell's name is in german also too long "Schwarzpanzer der Undurchdringliche"
You can't tame them at all?
Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Unread post by Iowawolf »

Ok not sure about anyone else but since this change I have been on a retaming spree King Krush, Somber Dawn, Bulvinkel, Lightning Paw, Loque'nahak <Mate of Har'koa>, Ban'thalos and of course my good boy Hati this along with Hati makes 8.1.5 worth while when not interested in the races.
Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.

Unread post by Aleu »

I got a stroke of luck, ended up taming all three of the rares in Sholazar and Aotona also keeps her name with the other three. It's a nice little touch. <3

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}

Valariel
Realm: Alleria

Unread post by Valariel »

Wain wrote:
Valariel wrote:Hmm i cant tame this one.

You can't tame them at all?
Nope. When the cast is finished nothing happens. The NPC just keeps attacking me.