8.1.5 - special NPCs retain names when tamed

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: 8.1.5 - special NPCs retain names when tamed

Unread post by Wain »

Valariel wrote:
Wain wrote:
Valariel wrote:Hmm i cant tame this one.
https://www.wow-petopia.com/npc.php?id=51037
Lost Gilnean Wardog, maybe the german name "Verirrter gilnearischer Kriegshund" is too long.

https://www.wow-petopia.com/npc.php?id=51000
Blackshell's name is in german also too long "Schwarzpanzer der Undurchdringliche"
You can't tame them at all?
Nope. When the cast is finished nothing happens. The NPC just keeps attacking me.
Hmm, any error message?
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valariel
Realm: Alleria

Unread post by Valariel »

Wain wrote:
Hmm, any error message?
Nope
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

OK, thanks. I'll let someone know. I can confirm that the Lost Gilnean Wardog is still tameable in English.
Valariel

Wain wrote:OK, thanks. I'll let someone know. I can confirm that the Lost Gilnean Wardog is still tameable in English.
Thanks, maybe 34 or 35 is really too long :(
I'll check some of the other rares with long names.

Edit: I tamed "The Barbed Horror" - in german "Der stachelbewehrte Alptraum" 28 characters long.
I tried Rockhide the Immovable - one of the pandaria foot-print rares. He was an elite - so just a basilisk after the tame
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

The bug has been passed on. Thanks for reporting it.

Just one thing I’d like to confirm - would you be able to try with all add ons disabled? Just in case it’s one of those.
Valariel

Wain wrote:The bug has been passed on. Thanks for reporting it.

Just one thing I’d like to confirm - would you be able to try with all add ons disabled? Just in case it’s one of those.
The only addon i use is Recount, but i tried that to, because i know thats the first thing a gm would ask.
Eaglesong
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Eaglesong »

The first rare I always tame when leveling a new hunter is Humar in the northern barrens. (I remember grinding mobs in the area to level up so I could tame him :D )

My Zandalari hunter now has 'Humar the Pridelord', but Echeyakee (the white lion which is the object of a quest from Crossroads) does not keep his name when tamed. I haven't tried renaming Echeyakee to see if his real name works on him, I will try that next time I log in.

edit: Renaming, I can use the name Echeyakee on the white lion.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Quest NPCs really should keep their names when tamed though. It's lame that we can't have King Bangalash.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I do feel like this should be extended to any named mobs in general (or perhaps the default should just be the beast's mob name, whatever it is, since everyone has the option to rename after) it's a fun detail.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Vephriel wrote:I do feel like this should be extended to any named mobs in general (or perhaps the default should just be the beast's mob name, whatever it is, since everyone has the option to rename after) it's a fun detail.
I actually submitted a list of everything that I considered ‘named’ that could benefit from this change. In the end I don’t think they had time to look at it before patch release but hopefully they’ll revisit it at some point. If you’re interested, the list is:
https://www.wow-petopia.com/tamenamesuggest.php

Many of the rares on that list are probably already flagged but I didn’t sort them out, I just submitted everything. I also submitted the starter pets since it’d be nice for them to have less generic names. The Void Stalker, especially, needs to be enabled so it can revert to using that name - since 8.1.5 it’s now just called Warp Stalker.
WildcatTM
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by WildcatTM »

So the system only works on rares and not elites? Tried Alystros the Verdant Keeper to no success. Has anyone tried the birds in the mines??

WildcatTM
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

WildcatTM wrote:So the system only works on rares and not elites? Tried Alystros the Verdant Keeper to no success. Has anyone tried the birds in the mines??
Just tamed Ol' Becky. Sadly, he doesn't retain his name. I'd assume it's the same for the other 2 rares.

Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Unread post by Iowawolf »

WildcatTM wrote:So the system only works on rares and not elites? Tried Alystros the Verdant Keeper to no success. Has anyone tried the birds in the mines??
Nok Karrosh in Snorelords also doesn't keep name though he is a "rare" so to speak but yes most the silver dragons keep the names.

And has anyone made a list yet what keeps its name and what doesn't if not I can start doing one.
WildcatTM
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Iowawolf wrote:
Nok Karrosh in Snorelords also doesn't keep name though he is a "rare" so to speak but yes most the silver dragons keep the names.

And has anyone made a list yet what keeps its name and what doesn't if not I can start doing one.
I think Wain put together a suggestion list. I haven't seen any lists for the pets that retain the name change. Honestly, I've been going around taming named pets on an alt. for a day now. So far I can corn these retain their names:

Shadikith the Glide, Bjarn, Roth-Salam, Heronis, Favored of Isiset, Zaricotl, Duskstalker, Rak'shiri, Mist Howler, Uhk'loc, and Sewer Beast.

WildcatTM
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

WildcatTM wrote:
Iowawolf wrote:

I think Wain put together a suggestion list. I haven't seen any lists for the pets that retain the name change. Honestly, I've been going around taming named pets on an alt. for a day now. So far I can corn these retain their names:

Shadikith the Glide, Bjarn, Roth-Salam, Heronis, Favored of Isiset, Zaricotl, Duskstalker, Rak'shiri, Mist Howler, Uhk'loc, and Sewer Beast.
Just to add to this list, Antilus the Soarer, Sorrow Wing, Giggler, Gib the Banana-Hoarder, and Bajiatha. Bajiatha's Cluth Defender does not retain a name, unfortunately.

WildcatTM
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

WildcatTM wrote:Just to add to this list, Antilus the Soarer, Sorrow Wing, Giggler, Gib the Banana-Hoarder, and Bajiatha. Bajiatha's Cluth Defender does not retain a name, unfortunately.
Adding Vile Sting, Crystal Fang, Deth'tilac, Dustflight the Cowardly, . I was hoping Jojo the Palestrider would retain, but he doesn't. Maia the White, Lamepaw the Whimperer, Death Howl, Yukiko, Sparkwing, Qirot, Aogexon, and Goda also retain their names.

No real surprises I encountered with these. A bit surprised we can't rename Queenfeather to something like Queenie or QueenFeather (says name is reserved or something). Super odd.

Can't wait to do this again on my other alts.

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Wait, I'm a little lost. I tamed Deth'tilac, and its name was kept upon taming. I also tamed a few of the ones you mentioned as well, and they kept their names (non-rare excluded, obviously). With Queenfeather, you can't use any variation of "queen" in a name; it's some stupid and pointless thing they added ages ago for no real reason. Same goes with things like king, mother, father, etc; if it's a title, it can't be used.

On a side note, you mentioned Goda. Does he still do that obnoxious sound spam when walking? I haven't seen him alive for ages, so I can't check.
Saffron
Realm: Bronze Dragonflight EU

Unread post by Saffron »

Happy that a lot of the mechanicals keep their names, N.U.T.Z and Weaponized Rabbot are two of my favourites :) Model GU-4RD-3R didn't unfortunately
WildcatTM
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

WerebearGuy wrote:Wait, I'm a little lost. I tamed Deth'tilac, and its name was kept upon taming. I also tamed a few of the ones you mentioned as well, and they kept their names (non-rare excluded, obviously). With Queenfeather, you can't use any variation of "queen" in a name; it's some stupid and pointless thing they added ages ago for no real reason. Same goes with things like king, mother, father, etc; if it's a title, it can't be used.

On a side note, you mentioned Goda. Does he still do that obnoxious sound spam when walking? I haven't seen him alive for ages, so I can't check.
Ah, didn't know that rule was still there. Couldn't even name her Queenie. All the ones I mentioned kept their names and yes, Goda definitely still has the stomp. I completely forgot about it, which caught me off guard since I picked him up over night.

WildcatTM
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Going through another round with another alt hunter. Nothing really to report, but sadly the Reassigned Warbeast doesn't retain it's name.