Random Thoughts On Vanilla

Discuss WoW Classic and give feedback for our Petopia Classic sites, including Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Random Thoughts On Vanilla

Unread post by Rawr »

This might not be useful till Classic comes out, and probably get lost long before then, but I had some random thoughts (mostly about pets) that might help Hunters starting out in Classic in bite sized chunks, so here goes:

Pick out your pet early, before you get to (insert level you can tame said pet at) get the food they like and Pet Skills (if they have any you don't know) before you get your pet.

There are only two stable slots, 5 silver and 5 gold, so you can have a total of three pets.

Pet Skills have levels and just like your skills the lower level they are the less damage they do, keep them up to date if possible. Plan your questing routes so you are not going out of your way to get them, example: running to Silverpine Forest as a Horde to tame a Bloodsnout Worg (16-17) Bite 3 for your Cat instead of waiting till 19-20 and learning it from a Ghostpaw Runner in Ashenvale that's right next to spawns of Clattering Crawler (19-20) who can teach you Claw 3, who also spawns right next to a quest hub and FP for the Horde.

Pets don't auto level, so if you like something that you can only get at low levels, get it then. Pets get Exp only if you do so you can't level you new Strider Clutchmother (20) on level 30 mobs while you are level 60. Also you will be the one tanking if the Pet and Mob levels are far enough apart.

The longer you have a pet the less you have to feed it. Vanilla pets had Loyalty levels (5 or 6 total) once they get to max Loyalty you only have to feed them once in a Blue Moon or after they die.

Feeding your pet will increase its Happiness and Loyalty gain and keep it from running away (or attacking you, hoping they put that in).

Happy pets do more damage, feed your pet.

Feeding your pet gives them a gaining Happiness buff that is removed in combat.

Mend Pet is a channeled spell not a HoT that eats up a LOT of mana, use Bandages whenever possible.

There is a Pet Trainer that will teach you Growl and other Pet Skills, normally they are near your trainer.

You can't feed your pet right after learning to tame at level 10, you get a quest to go into your major city and learn it there.

Bite is a terrabad Focus dump. It has a 10 second CD and only does moderately more damage than Claw (there is no Smack in Vanilla). You can get a pet that only knows Bite but I would not recommend it.

Some pet families have unique skills that do Nature damage, this is the most resisted element in the game (see almost every rock/plant/ect elemental), especially at low levels. That being said, Elemental damage goes through armor (see almost every mob and Player).

Lupos does not do Shadow damage in 1.12, they got rid of that in 1.10 or 1.09 (I think).

Fast Attack Speed on pets is only good for making casters (Players mostly) unhappy, all pets of the same family in 1.12 do the same damage regardless of Attack Speed.

Attack Power (melee) is not the same as Ranged Attack Power in Vanilla (Orc racial, stats on gear, ect) and depending on how they do this AP will not effect RAP unless stated (for Hunters Agility gives us both AP and RAP).

Pets only use the Active Skills (Growl, Claw, ect) on their action bar, there are four slots use them wisely. Drag Growl off your pet bar in dungeons and put Cower on it.

Pet Growl is NOT a Taunt in Vanilla, it increases the Pet's threat.

Aggressive Stance for Pets is a thing in Vanilla, not suggested for any PvE activity.

Learn to macro.

Drag your ammo onto your action bar.

Get a Swing Timer for Auto Shot, learn to move/cast in-between shots.

Log out in an Inn or major city, you get more Rested Exp in a rest area than outside.

Pets don't scale with your character's stats, also they can be buffed separately for your character.

(will add more thoughts as they pop into my head). :mrgreen:
Last edited by Rawr on Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dewclaw
Realm: Llane

Re: Random Thoughts On Vanilla

Unread post by Dewclaw »

Aggressive stance sure was nice for flushing rogues in BG's when guarding a node though. :D
Ynez

Unread post by Ynez »

Good tips, these will help both fresh and returning hunters to Classic wow - cheers!
cdsky3
Realm: Mal'ganis

Unread post by cdsky3 »

There are separate bags for your ammo choice, a quiver for arrows and ammo pouch for bullets. The ammo and pouch types cannot be interchanged.

You don't get the ability to tame your first pet, until you are level 10? I believe?

Leather workers are your best friends, they can make your gear and ammo pouches/quivers

Engineers can make bullets, and can craft some of the highest level ammo in the game-and so long as you have the mats and a ...spanner? you can make bullets mid-dungeon

If classic sounds are back, people are going to hate on you for using a very LOUD gun. (oh, and get ready to fight rouges and warriors for ranged weapons)

There aren't any professions that can make arrows in Classic WoW, (Engineers were not able to until the later part of BC) you must buy them from vendors.

Remember to bring an extra weapon into BWL!

Pets will pull random mobs in dungeons when you jump down, due to pathing issues. Make sure you dismiss them if you have to sneak past something! LBRS is the best example of this!

Also, pets with certain abilities CAN pull raid bosses! (I remember my wolf, unexpectedly, pulling a raid boss in BWL with a random howl)

Level 30 is when most classes will see their speed boosts appear. Level 40 is when you can acquire your first mount, and the cost of it will make you weep (and hate warlocks,
who get their mounts from a very long quest line)

(those are my current thoughts right now LOL trying to decide which profession I want to go this time around.)
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

I want to correct somethings so no one gets confused: Wolves howl is an AoE buff for friendlies so that ability won't pull anything by itself, most likely that Hunter was told to pet pull a boss with EotB, pets have a smaller agro radius than players and were used to pull some bosses to bypass trash, most classes who get a speed boost do so at 20 (Shaman Ghost Wolf, Hunter Cheetah, Druid Cat form) only Druids get Travel form at 30.

I want to add that Engineers can turn in Thorium Shells for Thorium Headed Arrows in either Orgrimmar (Bounty Hunter Kolark) or Ironforge (Artilleryman Sheldonore) repeatedly. :mrgreen:

morbidmike

Unread post by morbidmike »

Rawr wrote: Attack Power (melee) is not the same as Ranged Attack Power in Vanilla (Orc racial, stats on gear, ect) and depending on how they do this AP will not effect RAP unless stated (for Hunters Agility gives us both AP and RAP).
On this, items and skills that state Attack Power work for both Ranged and Melee. For example the Barbarous Blade from Dire Maul North gives 60 Attack Power, this AP works both for Melee and Ranged. An item like Core Marksman Rifle gives 22 Ranged Attack Power, which will only work for Ranged attacks. The game is actually very specific on this and every time the game states Attack Power without qualification it works for both Ranged and Melee.
Items and skills that state Melee Attack Power only work for Melee and Ranged Attack Power only for Ranged. The big difference with retail is that a lot of skills that add normal Attack Power (so Melee + Ranged) only give Melee Attack Power in Classic. Some examples are Blessing of Might, Battle Shout and Blood Fury.

The only exception that I can think of that states normal Attack Power but only works for Melee is Rallying Cry of the Dragonslayer.