Can't name my parrot?

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Dewclaw
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Llane

Can't name my parrot?

Unread post by Dewclaw »

I tamed one of the BFA red parrot models, and when i went to name it, the option to name is not listed. it is just "carrion bird." I went onto the petopia pet list, and saw those parrots are supposed to be birds of prey? Any idea what's going on? I don't want to spend the gold for a rename scroll to try to fix it if it's a bug that can't be fixed, or am I missing something obvious?
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Can't name my parrot?

Unread post by Wain »

Dewclaw wrote:I tamed one of the BFA red parrot models, and when i went to name it, the option to name is not listed. it is just "carrion bird." I went onto the petopia pet list, and saw those parrots are supposed to be birds of prey? Any idea what's going on? I don't want to spend the gold for a rename scroll to try to fix it if it's a bug that can't be fixed, or am I missing something obvious?
Which one is it?
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Dewclaw

Unread post by Dewclaw »

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Which NPC did you tame, though?

Could you please target your pet and type the following macro?

Code: Select all

/run print("Target NPC Family: ", UnitCreatureFamily("target"), " ID: ", strmatch(UnitGUID("target"),"-(%d*)-%x*$"))
Please tell me what the macro says its ID number and family is and I can go check it out. Thanks :)
Dewclaw

Unread post by Dewclaw »

ID 140464.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Thanks. That parrot is a Trained Parrot from Stormsong. I just tamed one of those and the name change option was available to me, even after I dismissed, logged out and resummoned. So it seems to work on new tames.

Interestingly, these parrots were originally Carrion Birds (at the time you tamed one), but have since become Birds of Prey.

What I suspect has happened (I stress that this is a guess) is that the name change code doesn't actually check a flag to see if you've already changed the name at all. I think it instead checks if the current name matches the family name, and if it's different then it assumes you changed the name. In your case, the parrot is called "Carrion Bird" because that was its family at the time, but now the code thinks you've changed the name to that and so doesn't offer your free name change.

If you don't want to pay for a name change I would put in a ticket and explain the situation and request a free name change.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Imho keep the name. You now have a unique bird of prey named carrion bird.
Dewclaw

Unread post by Dewclaw »

Thanks Wain, for the detective work. I think I'll use pop's idea and just keep it as is. :)
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

And if you do choose to rename it in the future (and don't wanna tame a new one), you can get a https://www.wowhead.com/item=43850/cert ... -ownership from the Auction House/Scribe and rename it that way. :)
The Insect Man
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by The Insect Man »

Also "I can't name my parrot" sounds hella like a euphemism for something...