8.2 Beasts

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: 8.2 Beasts

Unread post by Wain »

Myzou wrote:Did they change Soundless' model?

I was gonna work on taming it soon, but I was reading wowhead, and someone said that the model in game is not the same as wowhead, and it is now the blue and grey ray model. Which I'm assuming they mean this:

I can understand if they changed it, they don't want hunters taming a mount rare while it's current, but it'd leave a very coveted skin unavailable to us. Can anyone confirm?
Maybe it's the same as this post:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9037&p=610319#p610314

In which case it is the same ray, it's just the red is muted to a dull pink by other effects. :(
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Rikaku wrote:I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong (or if I missed something), but it appears the Chitterspine Ambusher (the red and white mottled spider crab) isn't tameable. I tried to tame 3 different ones, and beast lore is confirming it now has an untameable tag.

This model:
https://www.wow-petopia.com/look.php?id ... b_whitered

To be exact, I was testing the ones that are stealthed around the "Chitterspine Deeplurker".
Oh no :( It sounds like a few things were changed / made untameable at the last minute. I'll test them out as soon as I can.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Wain wrote:
Myzou wrote:Did they change Soundless' model?

I was gonna work on taming it soon, but I was reading wowhead, and someone said that the model in game is not the same as wowhead, and it is now the blue and grey ray model. Which I'm assuming they mean this:

I can understand if they changed it, they don't want hunters taming a mount rare while it's current, but it'd leave a very coveted skin unavailable to us. Can anyone confirm?
Maybe it's the same as this post:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9037&p=610319#p610314

In which case it is the same ray, it's just the red is muted to a dull pink by other effects. :(
The red is fine in the eyes though. The red on the tail is a completely different color. It doesn't even look like the same model.

How can an effect only affect the tail and top, but completely ignore the eyes?

I actually don't mind the way it looks now. It just isn't what it's supposed to be lol. Presumably you guys saw it the other way on the PTR too.
TheGreatHunter

Unread post by TheGreatHunter »

Hello all! Long time user of the site! I wanted to help give some information I have found. The red glowing spider crab appears in the cave as a lvl 122 rare elite or lvl 121 I’ve seen both and is flagged as tamable but also I get the message that the beast is to high of a level for me to tame.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Myzou wrote:The red is fine in the eyes though. The red on the tail is a completely different color. It doesn't even look like the same model.

How can an effect only affect the tail and top, but completely ignore the eyes?

I actually don't mind the way it looks now. It just isn't what it's supposed to be lol. Presumably you guys saw it the other way on the PTR too.
There's some extra texture that is applied to those glowing parts that dulls them. I have no idea why the model artists thought it would be attractive to make them look drab, but there you go. There were actual bugs with the model where other parts of the textures weren't rendered correctly and it could be that they just messed it up and never noticed or went back to it.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

TheGreatHunter wrote:Hello all! Long time user of the site! I wanted to help give some information I have found. The red glowing spider crab appears in the cave as a lvl 122 rare elite or lvl 121 I’ve seen both and is flagged as tamable but also I get the message that the beast is to high of a level for me to tame.
:( They were definitely tameable on the PTR, but must have been changed right at the end. This is frustrating.
TheGreatHunter

Unread post by TheGreatHunter »

Wain wrote:
TheGreatHunter wrote:Hello all! Long time user of the site! I wanted to help give some information I have found. The red glowing spider crab appears in the cave as a lvl 122 rare elite or lvl 121 I’ve seen both and is flagged as tamable but also I get the message that the beast is to high of a level for me to tame.
:( They were definitely tameable on the PTR, but must have been changed right at the end. This is frustrating.
As a hunter who loves to tame unique looks I understand! I was looking forward to a red glowy crab lol
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Sometimes it works in our favour - it looks like both Siltstalker and Banescale became tameable right at the end, and both have unique looks. But it's frustrating if looks were taken away as well.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

When you have the time, rename nether rays on petopia since the name change, I don’t want other people to be confused about the family name, and I want petopia to be updated to rays, thx
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Iridescent Glimmershell is tamable and can spawn in the place of the Glimmershell Hulks.
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

Hazzal wrote:
Wain wrote:Hmm, I should check that! That's a good thought.

Siltstalker has been non-elite / tameable for 3 days for me. Are others seeing the same thing?

If she's not appearing that way for everyone then maybe it's something related to me. But if she's that way for everyone, then maybe they changed it recently. It's just that I saw her elite / untameable on the same day that I later saw her tameable. So if they hotfixed it then it's just a really big coincidence they did it on the day I happened to check her twice.
FWIW yesterday in the live build she appeared in front of me and was tameable. I got her so as of yesterday at least, she can still appear in a tameable state.
I camped her for a bit on patch launch day, decided to log out and then she spawned while I was logging out, of course.

I logged back in and she was a 121 tameable rare for me. Did get her, and in honor/horror of the month long dental pain I've been having lately named her Lockjaw. :)
PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by PrimalTazza »

I'm 90% sure it's already been said here, but the Colossal Sky Ray can be reached with gliders. I just wanted to re-iterate because the one comment on Wowhead tells you to use the Gnomish Gravity Well, which is only available to engineers who spec'd into gnomish engineering. Start in the southwest area, the Spears of Azshara, and try to climb on the rocks going north as high as you can. There's an area above the Alliance camp, Mezzamere. It's a large rock formation that lets you look out over a lot of the zone.

You might have to use one of your gliders to reach this rock peak. The Colossal Sky Ray will patrol near it, you'll have to glide towards it, aggro it with something (I used Serpent Sting) and then turn around to land on the nearest ledge or kelp tree. Do NOT glide out to the isolated platform across from the peak. You can land on it easily, but the ray will hit the end of its aggro leash and leave.

There are kelp trees(?) along the rock face that look like something that'd normally have no collision in WoW. Most of these appear to be solid and you can land on them after tagging the ray. If someone already went over this process, then I apologize, all I saw when I searched was someone saying they did it but not going into much depth how, and the Wowhead comment could dissuade people who think they need engineering.

I can grab some screenshots if this is too vague.

Art of my character Tazza by Isei! http://isei-silva.tumblr.com

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Dropping in to say that the Chitterspine Ambusher with the red and white skin IS tameable, just grabbed it to verify. I remember taming it earlier, but the trauma of the OBSCENELY hard spider crab cave had me questioning my memory. Checked every color, and other than the Caverndark Terror that is mistakenly untameable, all crabs in the cave are definitely tameable. Not sure what sort of issues were run into when getting the error on it. I literally went and tamed EVERY crab, one by one in that cave, to check for untameables, and sadly only had the red glowing one untameable.

Seriously, nerf that god awful cave already. Even a geared character will get shredded in there.

EDIT: Also, Soundless really doesn't look the same ingame as the image on petopia or wowhead.
Also attached are what it looks like up close when tamed. Looks like the black skin, just far less red. Got some choice angry words too when someone noticed I tamed it. They weren't happy with me.
Attachments
Strawberry Cow
Strawberry Cow
WoWScrnShot_062819_014208.jpg (166.67 KiB) Viewed 9839 times
Being tamed
Being tamed
WoWScrnShot_062819_021724.jpg (169.42 KiB) Viewed 9839 times
Tamed Front
Tamed Front
WoWScrnShot_062819_021749.jpg (159.7 KiB) Viewed 9839 times
Tamed Rear
Tamed Rear
WoWScrnShot_062819_021753.jpg (150.7 KiB) Viewed 9839 times
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

worgpower wrote:When you have the time, rename nether rays on petopia since the name change, I don’t want other people to be confused about the family name, and I want petopia to be updated to rays, thx
Oops, I meant to update that the minute 8.2 hit. Thanks for reminding me.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Valnaaros wrote:Iridescent Glimmershell is tamable and can spawn in the place of the Glimmershell Hulks.
That's awesome! I killed so many of those on the PTR to no avail :(
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote:Dropping in to say that the Chitterspine Ambusher with the red and white skin IS tameable, just grabbed it to verify.
Thanks for checking! I couldn't find any problem with them either. I'm not sure what was going on there.

And, yeah, I'm aware that fathom ray glowing areas are a bit different in the game to what they look like in the model viewer. The reason is a kind of overlay of those areas with something that dulls their colour a lot, and it's particularly obvious on the black with red. Why the model artists would do that, I have no idea - why would anyone want the glowing colour bits glazed over in white? :/ Unfortunately WMV doesn't render that muting effect (the same way it doesn't render that frosting that dulls crab colours in game) so I'd have to simulate it.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Wain wrote:
Valnaaros wrote:Iridescent Glimmershell is tamable and can spawn in the place of the Glimmershell Hulks.
That's awesome! I killed so many of those on the PTR to no avail :(
I got the Iridescent Glimmershell!

I started out killing the hulks but quickly remembered that hunters have a much faster method of clearing beasts :) I probably got rid of 30 Hulks before the Iridescent spawned.

Attachments
iridescentglimmershell.png
iridescentglimmershell.png (941.87 KiB) Viewed 9839 times
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Does the iridescent glimmershell spawn with different shell colors, or is it only the blue waves? I'd kill the next random pug player to have the spotted shell on a diamond hermit.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote:Does the iridescent glimmershell spawn with different shell colors, or is it only the blue waves? I'd kill the next random pug player to have the spotted shell on a diamond hermit.
It only has the one colour combo, sorry.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

For whatever reason, my hunter can't see any of the visitor dailies today. Is the Steelplated Hardshell still considered tameable in the alternate timeline in Mechagon? Been wanting to grab it, but Blizzard won't let me check it.

EDIT: Stoneclaw Sandshell, despite being a rare, does NOT retain its name upon being tamed. It reverts to "Crab" as if it were a non-rare beast.