Pet Skill Progression Guide

Discuss WoW Classic and give feedback for our Petopia Classic sites, including Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
fatsquid
Realm: Classic

Pet Skill Progression Guide

Unread post by fatsquid »

I have searched the forums but I have not found a progression guide that will tell us what pets to tame in order to learn all of the learned pet skills with the least amount of tames. Anyone have an idea if something like this exists and if I am just bad at searching?
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Pet Skill Progression Guide

Unread post by Wain »

I'm afraid we only have the guide that lists abilities by NPC level:
https://www.wow-petopia.com/classic/abilities.php

I haven't written one that gives the highest efficiency. Does anyone remember if you can learn a higher rank before you learn a lower one, and if it means you automatically learn the lower ones? I forget now.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Bowno »

Wain wrote:I'm afraid we only have the guide that lists abilities by NPC level:
https://www.wow-petopia.com/classic/abilities.php

I haven't written one that gives the highest efficiency. Does anyone remember if you can learn a higher rank before you learn a lower one, and if it means you automatically learn the lower ones? I forget now.
I am 98% sure that you COULD train higher ranks before a lower one. I'm pretty sure it would auto train the lower ones if you did this.

Siggy under construction!

Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

fatsquid wrote:I have searched the forums but I have not found a progression guide that will tell us what pets to tame in order to learn all of the learned pet skills with the least amount of tames. Anyone have an idea if something like this exists and if I am just bad at searching?
Well rank 1 and 2 of Bite and Claw are below or near level 10 so I would skip rank 1 and just go for rank 2 asap. Learning rank 2 does not teach you or your pet rank 1 of that skill. Always get focus dump pet skills as soon as you can so your pet can keep agro and help dps. That being said, I would plan ahead and clump learning your pet's skills together, if you are leveling in an area where you can get the next rank of Bite now and Claw in two levels, don't go to another zone just to get the next rank of Claw now. Hope this helps. :mrgreen:

fatsquid

Rawr wrote:I would plan ahead and clump learning your pet's skills together, if you are leveling in an area where you can get the next rank of Bite now and Claw in two levels, don't go to another zone just to get the next rank of Claw now. Hope this helps. :mrgreen:
This is what I want to do. But I want to learn all of the abilities; even if I will not use them. Since we only have 3 slots I want to bang this task out as efficiently as possible.
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

fatsquid wrote:
Rawr wrote:I would plan ahead and clump learning your pet's skills together, if you are leveling in an area where you can get the next rank of Bite now and Claw in two levels, don't go to another zone just to get the next rank of Claw now. Hope this helps. :mrgreen:
This is what I want to do. But I want to learn all of the abilities; even if I will not use them. Since we only have 3 slots I want to bang this task out as efficiently as possible.

I'd just plan out what zones you plan to level in ahead of time and search for what pets have what skill ranks there. Do researcher, plan shit out, make a list ahead of time. Not sure why you would want to to train every skill for every pet. If you really want every pet skill "just in case", get to level 60 and use you 3rd slot to train the max rank of each pet skill. :mrgreen:

Aibhilough

Unread post by Aibhilough »

On the PRIVATE server I've been playing, it is possible to learn a higher rank of a skill without having learned the previous one. I mention private because I am not sure how this will apply to retail.
I have learned Bite 1, Bite 2, Bite 4. I have learned Lightning Breath ranks 2 and 3 but NOT 1.
So YES you can learn an ability rank higher than 1 without first having learned rank 1.
I trained the level 32 Mountain Lion that i tamed from Alterac with Growl 4 right after taming. The pet has to meet the pre-reqs i.e. can learn the ability and is of the correct level to learn the ability.

There is a tremendous cost savings available to you if can wait until 60 to go tame just the highest rank ability pets.
fatsquid

Rawr wrote:Not sure why you would want to to train every skill for every pet.
With limited stable slots it is the only way to be a completionist hunter in Classic. I mean we can tame rares and Screen Shot... something I plan on doing.
But Having learned all of the available pet skills is in game achievable and worth my time. Best to do most of it while leveling.
Namarus

Unread post by Namarus »

Aibhilough wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:51 am On the PRIVATE server I've been playing, it is possible to learn a higher rank of a skill without having learned the previous one. I mention private because I am not sure how this will apply to retail.
I have learned Bite 1, Bite 2, Bite 4. I have learned Lightning Breath ranks 2 and 3 but NOT 1.
So YES you can learn an ability rank higher than 1 without first having learned rank 1.
I trained the level 32 Mountain Lion that i tamed from Alterac with Growl 4 right after taming. The pet has to meet the pre-reqs i.e. can learn the ability and is of the correct level to learn the ability.

There is a tremendous cost savings available to you if can wait until 60 to go tame just the highest rank ability pets.
There isn't any cost savings, when you upgrade from level 5 to 6 of an ability you only pay the difference in points.
Calydonian

Unread post by Calydonian »

So, if I have a pet with bite 1 and bite 2, I would guess bite 2 takes more focus? if it does, is the pet smart enough to use bite 1 if it doesn't have enough focus for bite 2, or would it wait for the focus and only use bite 2? And would it be desirable behavior for dps and agro purposes to use the lower ability?