Forum update feedback and bugs

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Forum update feedback and bugs

Unread post by Wain »

Vephriel wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:49 pm I would very much like a dark theme as it's my prefered way of browsing sites these days (much easier on the eyes)

I perused the dark theme section in the link, I'm not sure if all of them are compatible or if there are specifications required, but I would like to point out this one called Pycode as a really nice looking theme:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/pycode/

My problem with the other ones is the black and green feels like a harsh contrast, but I like the more neutral greys in this one.
I completely agree! Pycode was the only dark one I was really impressed with.

Unfortunately it hasn't been updated in a couple of versions, which isn't a good sign for support for it :( Every theme I've added has been updated to the latest board version. I'll install it anyway and see how it goes.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Vephriel wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:33 pm
Bowno wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:30 pm I might be dumb and blind.. But is there no easy button to get to Active Topics? I have it as a bookmark, so I can just chill there. But like.. I cant seem to find a way to Active Topics other than using my bookmark :U
I'm using this theme, and it's on the top left
Sorry :( I'm finding it awkward to adjust to some changes, too. Most of the functions still exist, but they're in different places to what we're used to. It'll hopefully be fine in a week or two.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Try out the Pycode theme, I think it looks really nice :)

Like with the other dark themes the main issue is that black (or even dark blue) names are harder to read. But because this theme is grey instead of black it seems to be a bit easier than the others. If I can find a way to configure name colours by theme it would fix that issue anyway.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Board preference. Defo subsilver, IF that cannot be then prosilver.. the others are too dark for my eyes

First one question.. How many pictures in a row is max? On the old browser it was 4 so the show dragon parade from the mafia is build from that.. but I can see it look messy now.... so what is the max now?

also for some reason it put blue line underneath the pictures?

Oki this is how it looks on my mobile. I can scroll down but not to the side. I got an old Samsung A3 and the browser on it is just the standard Samsung browser

Start page:

Scrolled down:

Flight rising forum:

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Mĭrya Namárië wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:52 am First one question.. How many pictures in a row is max? On the old browser it was 4 so the show dragon parade from the mafia is build from that.. but I can see it look messy now.... so what is the max now?

also for some reason it put blue line underneath the pictures?

We have an extension that resizes large pictures. But it's different to the old one (which was deprecated), so I had to configure it from scratch. It's probably set to different values to the old one. Could you please PM me a link to a post I can work from, and tell me exactly how it used to look?
Mĭrya Namárië wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:52 am Oki this is how it looks on my mobile. I can scroll down but not to the side. I got an old Samsung A3 and the browser on it is just the standard Samsung browser

Start page:

Scrolled down:

Flight rising forum:
That would be because there isn't a "side" to scroll to. The layout is now responsive, so it displays differently on mobile devices. To make it more readable it doesn't show the "Last post by" column at all on phones. That's just the way these things are designed these days, unless you tell your browser to load the desktop version.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Ahh so on mobile I just have to keep the desktop version on for petipoa. No big hassle so I just do that. Thanks. Send you a pm with the other stuff.. Hope i did it right :D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Dewclaw
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Dewclaw »

I'm having a hard time with the user icons on the right. So much so that I'm not visiting the site as much as I used to. :(
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Wain wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:20 am I completely agree! Pycode was the only dark one I was really impressed with.

Unfortunately it hasn't been updated in a couple of versions, which isn't a good sign for support for it :( Every theme I've added has been updated to the latest board version. I'll install it anyway and see how it goes.
Doh, I suppose it looked too good to be true. Maybe it won't be an issue though, I just set it for my theme and it looks great, I really like it. :)
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Vephriel wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:22 am
Wain wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:20 am I completely agree! Pycode was the only dark one I was really impressed with.

Doh, I suppose it looked too good to be true. Maybe it won't be an issue though, I just set it for my theme and it looks great, I really like it. :)
I’m still using it too :) if I could just customise user names per style it would be close to perfect.
Sne
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Sne »

Can I chip in and say that I agree with Dewclaw.. our avatars should be to the left not the right.. and that column with avatars take up way way way too much room.. atleast on the prosilver one...

Sne is Danish for Snow

Syleye
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Shadowsong

Unread post by Syleye »

It is a change and some things will be easier to get use to but the name information on the left is very difficult .

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

All the styles have the name and avatar on the right now, and I don’t think I can do much about it, so that’s unlikely to change. Sorry. It’ll take a little while to get used to the changes but hopefully it won’t take too long.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I contacted the author of the Pycode theme and it’s definitely still being updated. There were only trivial changes between 3.2.5 and 3.2.7 which is why he hadn’t bothered to update it yet.

If you’re after a dark theme I’d really recommend trying Pycode. I don’t intend to keep updating every test theme I’ve added but I’m pretty confident I’ll keep that one going.
Sne
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Sne »

Wain wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:42 am I contacted the author of the Pycode theme and it’s definitely still being updated. There were only trivial changes between 3.2.5 and 3.2.7 which is why he hadn’t bothered to update it yet.

If you’re after a dark theme I’d really recommend trying Pycode. I don’t intend to keep updating every test theme I’ve added but I’m pretty confident I’ll keep that one going.
Which of the themes will be kept?

To highlight what I mean in the prosilver one..which is the one I like best

To much dead space...It makes the posting smaller than usal and it kinda looks silly to have so much wasted space ?

Maybe if the board allows it add an option to have avatars to the left instead of the right?

Sne is Danish for Snow

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Sne wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:15 pm Which of the themes will be kept?
It'll depend on what the community here really wants :) It'll be ages before I have to decide what to update, anyway.
Sne wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:15 pm To highlight what I mean in the prosilver one..which is the one I like best

To much dead space...It makes the posting smaller than usal and it kinda looks silly to have so much wasted space ?

Maybe if the board allows it add an option to have avatars to the left instead of the right?
Unfortunately the board doesn't have an option to do that. Styles are unfortunately not all that configurable. I expected them to be more easily customized (i.e. without editing the code), but it doesn't look like that's the case. Someone could create an extension that does that. Actually, there is one but it looks very outdated, but I'll have another look. And even if the extension works it would change it for everyone and I'd have to decide whether we want to do that.

I could see what you meant by the overly large avatar box, and I think I see why it's happening, though there's probably little I can do about it:

If you narrow your browser window you'll see the avatar box shrinks to take up minimal space, then expands as you expand the window. The post text box expands much more than the avatar box does, but the avatar seems to be configured to expand at a % of the rate of the post text, to a certain maximum size. I think the reason it looks so unnecessarily big for your avatar is because all the avatar boxes on the page are kept at the same size, and some have more text in them than yours. It appears they stop expanding at the point where the one with the most text in it no longer wraps that text. This is part of the fundamental layout of the style (and all the other styles I added, which are mostly based on it) and there may be little I can do about it. It's just the way that styles are going these days.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Sure will take a lot of time to get used too... kinda weird that there are not more configuration options for the board. .. the big avatar box to the left is the hardest to get use to imo

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I've been using Lucid Lime, just because I like black with green.

For me, the only major concern is readability of user names. The names in blue and purple seem to be visible in both light and dark themes, so maybe change regular user names to a medium shade of green that would be visible in both types of themes?
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

Bowno wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:30 pm I might be dumb and blind.. But is there no easy button to get to Active Topics? I have it as a bookmark, so I can just chill there. But like.. I cant seem to find a way to Active Topics other than using my bookmark :U
I put on pycode because I couldn't see some usernames with the blackgreen.

The Active Topic Appears to be put under the Quick Links tab in the top left corner-under the Petopia logo. It is the 5th link down after you click on the collapsable box for quicklinks
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've made adjustments to all the themes to:

(i) let posts expand to the width of the browser window. The Subsilver2 style already did this, but the others were far narrower than our original theme.
(ii) stop showing that stupid line under links in posts, including images that double as links. I have no idea why they added that.

What are your thoughts about the changes? Does anyone dislike them, or can see any display issues?

I'll work on the overly-large avatar boxes, but I can't guarantee anything at this stage. All the style I've looked at have them that way, because most the style creators base their style on the default Prosilver one.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

On mobile now as hubby is in the hospital. . Still a blue line under link pictures on the desktop version.

edit just got the secretary to check on her computer.. computer version the blue lines are gone yay :D Cant play with picture widht yet until I come home