A special and kinda annoying pet trick

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

A special and kinda annoying pet trick

Unread post by Boven »

I don't recall seing a post about this, though I may have missed one.

Now that the raid I'm in has heroic Eternal Palace pretty much on farm, I can get away with not having an 'optimum' pet along with me. So I've been switching out who I bring along each week for most fights, just for some variety. One of this weeks pets was Patrannache, the old hunter challenge tame from Four Winds. I hadn't had her out of the stable in ages and when I summoned her, noticed that she's one of the pets who has the Trick ability. While we were standing around before a boss pull, I clicked it. I was curious as to whether a non-flying bird would do the loop animation that the flying birds do, or if she'd do something different.

Well, it sure was different. Pink (creative name, I know) hopped up into the air, landed, and ran in to attack the boss. Fortunately, the tank was just about to pull anyway, so it wasn't a huge issue. I was kind of surprised by the behavior, of course. I don't have Trick hot keyed, so I'd had to click on it manually. I wondered if I'd somehow managed to click pet attack as well or something. We downed the boss without incident and I had to endure joking remarks about hunters from the other raid members (and even some from myself). While clearing trash afterward, I tried to figure out what happened and it seems to be a behavior that occurs when hitting Trick while having a hostile mob targeted.

Clicking it with nothing targeted just made Pink hop in the air. Clicking it with a hostile targeted, even though I'd not attacked (and even when facing away from the character or out of LoS around a corner) caused Pink to hop, then run in to attack.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've not had a chance to try it with any other pets that have the Trick ability yet.
Bluefire
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Duskwood

Re: A special and kinda annoying pet trick

Unread post by Bluefire »

I have had it happen but thought it was just a glitch! I'll have to test it out and see if it is a consistent issue, if it is I have a feeling it was unintended and a Mod should be made aware of it if they haven't already.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Re: A special and kinda annoying pet trick

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Ive not noticed this, but I know you can use trick in conjunction with things and it does not interrupt the next command. Ive used

\Trick
\Fetch

as a macro for all my avian friends and they can be used together. The pet will make a delightful trill/hoot/swark, then do a loop, before flying off to fetch available loot.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­