Expanded Pet Stable / Journal Discussion

Archived posts from the previous expansion
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Noguchi
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Twisting Nether

Expanded Pet Stable / Journal Discussion

Unread post by Noguchi »

I didnt read through all of this but im assuming like me some of you are dying for more stable slots. Lol

I made a suggestion to Blizzard for it because the reality is ive actually had to cut some animals loose to make way for other more important rares. But i still like some of the other critters because of the looks they possess. Im hoping that Blizz will either bump it up to 100 slots or utilize our pets like they do the mounts or battle pets with pages.
DragonHeart
Realm: Eitrigg

Re: 8.3 Taming List

Unread post by DragonHeart »

Noguchi wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:48 am I didnt read through all of this but im assuming like me some of you are dying for more stable slots. Lol

I made a suggestion to Blizzard for it because the reality is ive actually had to cut some animals loose to make way for other more important rares. But i still like some of the other critters because of the looks they possess. Im hoping that Blizz will either bump it up to 100 slots or utilize our pets like they do the mounts or battle pets with pages.
I totally agree with this its not fair if you only have one Hunter to have to pick and choose your pet you want and what not.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Noguchi wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:48 am I didnt read through all of this but im assuming like me some of you are dying for more stable slots. Lol

I wouldn't mind a void storage, but for pets. The MountJournal and (mini)PetJournal would make me worry, like would there be limits to how many identical pets a person could have, or would any pets with special effects be lost? Plus if it shows "uncollected", then that could take some of the fun out of it, at least for me. Maybe we could 'retire' pets to a farm upstate in Ardenweald, where when we have a change of heart we could swap them back in for a cost.
Last edited by Xota on Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

I am against the idea of a Hunter Pet Journal. Like Xota mentioned, there is a good chance that pets with unique effects would be lost. There are also pets that Blizz never intended to be tamable, like the two grubs or the slime, which may not be added to the journal. It could also make it more tedious for Blizz to perform random taming passes like what recently happened since not only would they have to flag beasts as tamable, but they would also have to add them to the journal.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I'm not fond of the journal / collection approach either, though I understand why it's reached the point that hunters are wanting one. We want to keep taming new things and we hate to throw out the old. On the other hand I feel like a minipet-like collection would make them feel less personal and perhaps just another in the increasing list of WoW collections that serve no purpose other than the act of collecting. I'm not sure what the answer is :/
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I'm deeply against a taming journal, or gallery of "skins" to unlock. It would spoil the entire concept of the class to me if our pets were nothing more than shiny transmogs to collect that are soon lost in a pile of hundreds. Hunter pets have always stood out as being more meaningful to me, especially compared with something like warlock minions or other class summons. We're the only class that can select and name our companions, and I want us to retain that special quality rather than them turning impersonal.

I'm also someone who doesn't like enormous stables. I would have ideally picked 30 slots as a nice size without getting cumbersome.
Noguchi
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Noguchi »

The pet journal is just something someone else mentioned elsewhere so whether or not its viable i dont know.

But, i play this game mainly for the hunt, i truly could care less about everything else in the game really. But, as the game itself expands so do the options for rare and unique pets. I just think at some point they are going to have to expand the stables anyway as the game just keeps expanding every couple of years. Only having 30 slots would make the game quite boring for me at that point.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

The pet journal is exactly what we need for stables. You don't lose the uniqueness of a pet because it's still "THAT" bet instead of "A" pet, and you gain a ridiculously huge amount of new space. I'd be fine if they had it so you could just buy a few new slots for <insert unreasonable gold dump here> at a time, up to some ridiculous number. I've had to toss out pets I liked because there's just no room for everything, and I'm constantly on the verge of throwing out my spirit beast collection because they're literally wasted space in any stable no matter the justification (seriously, there's too many of them). I don't have the patience to level another hunter just so I can fill it with stable slot fillers, and I especially don't have the patience to gear up another hunter just so it can be playable in our...less than optimal current expansion.

Seriously, I'd have over 400~ pets right now if I had the chance. Aside from the spirit beasts, I regularly flip through my pets and use random ones when I'm not raiding (Clefthoof all day for raids, baby!), so I can justify wanting a crazy huge stable like the pet journal. I would legitimately have a different pet every day that I log in, if given the chance. I'd also have a bunch of recolors, like all the Teroclaws (I'm still loving that Ji-kun is tameable, you don't even know) and maybe 12 or so crabs. There's just so many pets I like, but I can't use them all.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

The pet journal you're describing is basically just a giant stable (which I'm not for either). The pet journal that we're talking about would basically be like the current Xmog system. Most pieces of gear share their appearance with another piece of gear. They are not separated as two different appearances, but are merged into one. So if you tamed a pet, and then tamed another that had the same appearance, they would then be merged into one pet since they share the same appearance.

If Blizz has to do anything, then just increase the amount of stable slots and/or make it possible to buy more. Anything else would only hurt Hunters.
Nazja
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Nazja »

While I understand the concern that bigger stables might make things more impersonal, I think that its effect is mostly negligible.

At the end of the day, how meaningful your roster of pets is to you is solely up to YOU. As dated as Loque'nahak and the other Wrath & Cata spiritbeasts look by now, they will always remain important to me, even if I no longer take them for a spin. More stable spots won't make me forget the time I invested into hunting them. They might be far easier to tame nowadays, but those memories don't just suddenly disappear. You just have to make sure that you're taming pets for the right reasons.

If 60, 80 or 100 stable spots are too much to handle, it is much easier to limit yourself to a number of pets that you feel comfortable with. The reverse is far more difficult, and more dependant on Blizzard's goodwill.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Xota »

The Journal interface is more than just "more slots". A gold dump for more slots wouldn't have as many of the downsides as a Journal. It would be an easy way to do it.
A fun way (that would be a lot more time consuming to design/code) would be if we could raze our garrison and build a zoo, and keep inactive pets there for us and our friends to visit. Or you could buy the zoo in Suramar. Non-hunters could participate and show off their mounts in their zoos. Plus, if you can differentiate between stable and inactive pets, you would have control over your dire beasts. In the mood for some dino adventures? stock your active stable with raptors, pterrosaurs, devilsaurs, akundasaurs, trikes. Time to Tinker? bots and cyborgs in the stable.
Noguchi
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Noguchi »

Xota wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:24 pm The Journal interface is more than just "more slots". A gold dump for more slots wouldn't have as many of the downsides as a Journal. It would be an easy way to do it.
A fun way (that would be a lot more time consuming to design/code) would be if we could raze our garrison and build a zoo, and keep inactive pets there for us and our friends to visit. Or you could buy the zoo in Suramar. Non-hunters could participate and show off their mounts in their zoos. Plus, if you can differentiate between stable and inactive pets, you would have control over your dire beasts. In the mood for some dino adventures? stock your active stable with raptors, pterrosaurs, devilsaurs, akundasaurs, trikes. Time to Tinker? bots and cyborgs in the stable.
Excellent post.

Ive often wondered why our Garrisons dont have more of an impact than they do at this stage. I havent gone back to it other than to pass through the zone for something else. I LOVE the zoo idea.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Largely because they were strongly disliked during WoD and have left a bad taste in a lot of mouths. Besides that, new players would have to gain access to Garrisons and do all of the work to get the building ranks.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Personally speaking, I'm all for a hunter pet collection.

And as I've said in the past, all they need to do is make it a toggle you can turn on at the stable master, so people who don't want it can stay with slots.

The people who say that's not acceptable because they'll feel 'forced' to use it or be behind kinda just make me eyeroll, because you want to deprive others of what they want, even though the solution gives both parties what they want.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Myzou wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:17 pm Personally speaking, I'm all for a hunter pet collection.

And as I've said in the past, all they need to do is make it a toggle you can turn on at the stable master, so people who don't want it can stay with slots.

The people who say that's not acceptable because they'll feel 'forced' to use it or be behind kinda just make me eyeroll, because you want to deprive others of what they want, even though the solution gives both parties what they want.
If they did that, then that wouldn’t be a big deal. But we both know that if Blizz was to implement a Journal that they probably wouldn’t do that. There would just be the journal and the stable would be a thing of the past.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Xota »

Myzou wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:17 pm Personally speaking, I'm all for a hunter pet collection.

Except that by changing the back end to support a journal, it is very probable other things will be lost, which have been mentioned before. For example, we probably wouldn't have gotten hexed goats and crabs had there been a hunter pet journal. We'd probably lose interestingly sized, special effects, or on-click noises. And there wouldn't be any new pets with peculiar attributes, because the data structure would probably be indexed by model x texture, like xmog appears to be.

This is all off-topic.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Expanded Pet Stable / Journal Discussion

Unread post by Wain »

Since this branched out into a major side discussion I've split it off into its own thread.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I kinda hope they move away from purely UI elements when it comes to pet storage. I see both sides of the collection tab discussion, and I know UI elements are required from the gameplay side of things. But I thought it would be cool if there was a "pasture" area, could be instanced, that we could "store" pets in a way that makes sense. Think the stable in the Garrison, a place where you could go that has open grass lands or forest or springs, and it has some of your pets walking around.

From there, you could "check them in" (via UI), a kind of thematic void storage thats actual interactive fantasy than mere UI. If they required, they could put modest (not prohibitive) costs on it, and we could have more Call Pet slots as a trade off (idk 5-10 seems fine to me)? Mechanically, it would force meaningful decisions on which pets to run around with without requiring people to abandon pets they love or are rare while still allowing them to tame new ones they are excited about.

Granted I know we are a niche part of a large community and theres 100 reasons why they wouldn't do this. And it really doesn't address the primary question of "when is enough enough" but this would add such cool flavor to the stable slot discussion IMO.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Quiv wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:54 pm I kinda hope they move away from purely UI elements when it comes to pet storage. I see both sides of the collection tab discussion, and I know UI elements are required from the gameplay side of things. But I thought it would be cool if there was a "pasture" area, could be instanced, that we could "store" pets in a way that makes sense. Think the stable in the Garrison, a place where you could go that has open grass lands or forest or springs, and it has some of your pets walking around.

From there, you could "check them in" (via UI), a kind of thematic void storage thats actual interactive fantasy than mere UI. If they required, they could put modest (not prohibitive) costs on it, and we could have more Call Pet slots as a trade off (idk 5-10 seems fine to me)? Mechanically, it would force meaningful decisions on which pets to run around with without requiring people to abandon pets they love or are rare while still allowing them to tame new ones they are excited about.

Granted I know we are a niche part of a large community and theres 100 reasons why they wouldn't do this. And it really doesn't address the primary question of "when is enough enough" but this would add such cool flavor to the stable slot discussion IMO.
I'd really like something like this honestly.
Noguchi
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Noguchi »

Great idea Quiv.