Greater Gorms

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Beviah
Realm: Illidan

Greater Gorms

Unread post by Beviah »

So if this belongs in the Shadowlands thread, then I apologize, I just wanted a more fine scope to discuss these boys without creating an additional thread in the Shadowlands section;

I know that the likelihood is very low, so I've already prepared myself for the idea that these guys won't see the day that they get into our stables, but I mainly just wanted a platform to talk about it and express interest to hopefully build some level of traction to maybe swing the decision more in favor of these guys. I'm relatively giddy when it comes to new pets. Especially ones in this capacity, I've always been for more "unique" looks. Ever since seeing the trailer for Shadowlands, I've wanted these guys ever since I saw them for the first time.

Although, the people who have access to the Alpha, don't have access to Ardenweald(?) which makes determining if these guys are tameable a bit of a mystery. More so because they seem closely associated with Gorms that seem in a similar class that have never been tameable before (or unintended to be tameable in the case of the grubs), which leans me more to believing these guys won't make the cut. Furthermore because after looking at the animation set of G'huun, there's no indication to make me believe that they will support a Worm's burrow animation, and I don't foresee them making it into the Silithid family either.

Still, in spite of all this, if there's one thing out of Shadowlands that I've seen so far that I want to make the cut, it's the small G'huuns. With the animation set that was given to G'huun's skeleton rig, I know these guys will have a ton of character, and are completely unique compared to what we've had in the past, so they'd be an incredibly nice breath of fresh air for us to even have the option to stable. Not to mention, we've had a bit of stretches before in this capacity, such as Blood Beasts being something that seemed far-fetched, Silithids being a hive mind insectoid, Krolusks being incredibly eerie and unknown in general, and even having access to Mechanical Beasts, although there's a bit more explanation for that, I am just talking purely about the idea of it happening. I know Blizzard has been very kind to us, and show us a lot of love in this capacity, given that Muffinus confirmed we'd be getting a lot of tameable variations of Guarm, but I wanted to put it on record that this is something out there that I want to get my hands on. I know I don't speak for all of us, but I hope that maybe we'll get to see these guys to be tameable by the time Shadowlands launches.

Anyway, thanks for reading my ramblings. :)
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Re: Greater Gorms

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I really, really hope these become tameable! Nicely detailed and so unique compared to current hunter pets.
Beviah

Unread post by Beviah »

GormanGhaste wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:15 pm I really, really hope these become tameable! Nicely detailed and so unique compared to current hunter pets.
I hope so too! :D
I have to agree, I think the way they created the new skins for the models and color pallets are really something special compared to everything else we have. Fingers crossed that we'll be heard! These are one of the very few beasts that I have been incredibly excited about since the data mining of the Har'koa skin, which later translated into Loque'nahak.

Plus, let's be honest, watching these guys struggle to slither behind us would be so much fun. :lol:
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

It would be cool if they made a Gorm family with all the different types in it, to be honestly.

But the reason I can't see this model becoming tameable, other than the fact that they're an adapted G'huun is the fact that they don't have any swimming animations (yet), sadly
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Beviah

Unread post by Beviah »

Qraljar wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:35 pm It would be cool if they made a Gorm family with all the different types in it, to be honestly.

But the reason I can't see this model becoming tameable, other than the fact that they're an adapted G'huun is the fact that they don't have any swimming animations (yet), sadly
I hope so too, and I hear you there. I mean, if it's any consolation, some of the Silithid models, such as the Worker and Collosi Silithid models still lack swimming animations, and possibly a few others that I'm forgetting off the top of my head. There's still hope. ;)

But - I do understand where you're coming from, and I hope that Blizzard really gives us this one at the very least. :D
Lee
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Moonguard | Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Lee »

Dang, they're so cute... I can only wish they become tamable. I love all these weird bugs. <3
Beviah

Unread post by Beviah »

Lee wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:17 pm Dang, they're so cute... I can only wish they become tamable. I love all these weird bugs. <3
You and I both. Nothing's confirmed yet! I hope that this thread will be enough, they're amazing! :D
Beviah

Unread post by Beviah »

I sincerely apologize for the very text and image intense post guys. I get a little carried away with these type of things. :lol:

This is purely speculation, but I've been thinking, which has led me to being a little more hopeful. Despite the fact that the Greater Gorms using the G'huun skeleton, I've done some thinking. So I wanted to present a relatively formal case for our big friends in Ardenweald, and present my thoughts alongside some ideas to maybe get these guys into our stables! :D We can safely assume that the Wasps are tamable;

Based off the assumption that the wasps are tamable, we know that to some extent, the species of Gorms can be domesticated. So how does this have any correlation? Well, the Silithid appear to have a lot of similarities to the Gorm. To what extent? I'm not sure. We don't know too much about them, but I'm only going purely off of what I'm seeing and gathering from the datamining. But don't we notice something here?

The Silithid also have wasps that are tamable. Aside from just using the standard wasps, we can use a more formidable set of examples:

Ayamiss

Princess Huhuran

Although the Gorm and Silithid are not the same, we notice that there are similarities with their species just off of this alone. That there is still some overlap, and from what we know from canonical lore, the Silithid are a very intelligent insectoid race of non-sentient beasts created by C'Thun. The fact that we can domesticate Ayamiss, Princess Huhuran, two iconic centerpieces of the Silithid, we know that our reach of domestication goes farther than it appears. If we can tame the Gorm Wasps, then why not the Greater Gorms?

Considering the new presence of the Silithid after the events of Antorus, this indicates that despite everything that has happened, they are still a very prominent force within Azeroth. More specifically, let's build our way up and compare the Gorms before we jump into the focal point here:

Whilst not directly, these appear to be workers of some variation, whether they are, or serve a different purpose, we can loosely correlate them to a few Silithid creatures, first and foremost, the workers:

This doesn't seem nearly as likely, but it's a possibility, and still, the correlation of structural hierarchy is there, and considering how intelligent the Silithid are made out to be, these guys aren't unlikely candidates to see our stables. Especially when we look towards the Sand Reavers:

Not much is known about the Sand Reaver, or if they are even directly apart of the Silithid hierarchy. (If you know more about these guys lore, please share!) I feel the correlation is slightly stronger here, but without knowing too much about the Gorms or the Sand Reavers, it's tough to say. Going off of what little I know, it appears that they are defenders, to some extent, of the Silithid, as indicated of what we see in Ahn'Qiraj. I would feel that the Gorms presented above, could potentially be defenders of the younger Gorm larvae, and considering all of the examples that I've presented so far seem to be tameable. They aren't larvae themselves, because the Gorm already have a confirmed larvae model:

This leads me to believing that we will see the the medium Gorms tamable. If not for the larvae, from what we know that the wasps are tameable. This leads the medium Gorm to be likely candidates, as they are more in-line with a median level Silithid to an extent. So, with that being said, let's move on to the elephant in the room:

The Greater Gorm

It would seem that, judging by the teaser footage that we got to see in the Shadowlands expansion reveal, that the Greater Gorms are relatively common. Although I don't know for sure, I can safely assume that the Greater Gorms are just fully grown, or a variation of the Gorm that we aren't aware of at this time. They seem to be the protectors of the species, and possibly even the leaders. So where does that bring us?

According to what we know, the Colossi are known to even take leadership roles within the hierarchy of the Silithid species. They are the apex of the Silithid species. We know that they are formidable, they are strong, and we know that they are intelligent as well. There is a lot of overlap between these two, just based off of appearance, and what we can gather from the short little bit of footage that we gathered of Ardenweald. I would safely assume that the Gorm are not direct products of an Old God, let alone a higher power, besides maybe the Jailer, but they seem too fae and nature based to be direct products of the Jailer. Which even then, we were able to tame Silithid, which are intelligent species, and part of an effective hive mind, alongside being direct creations of an Old God, in such close proximity too. We know that Hunters are capable of capturing and taming intelligent and powerful beasts, based off of that alone, and then the fact we can tame the Gorm Wasps, it leads me to the belief that Greater Gorms are not out of our scope.

Please tell me what you guys think, I know it's frugal. I just care a lot about these type of things, and I want to put forth all of my effort into getting my hands on these guys. With a little bit of hope, and hopefully some notice from the Blizzard developer team, maybe they'll be kind to us and let us tame these. :)
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

A well put together post, Beviah! I do think that the wasps and the beetle-like Gorm will be tamable. I do not know about the greater Gorm, but it could happen. :)

However, in regards to the two Silithid wasps mentioned earlier in your post, their tamability has nothing to do with lore. Within the lore, they were killed by the Adventurers that invaded Ahn'qiraj. Generally, if something is tamable within a dungeon or raid, it is just something for us Hunters and not anything lore-based. :)

Since Ardenweald isn't open yet for testing, and thus we do not know a lot about the Gorm yet, I do recall that either their file name or something like that is called "decomposers". So, going off of that name, they may bring about decomposition in Ardenweald. Whether they are a natural part of Ardenweald and help with the cycle of life there, or if they are considered pests/invaders that decompose everything, we don't know yet.
Beviah

Unread post by Beviah »

Valnaaros wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:05 pm A well put together post, Beviah! I do think that the wasps and the beetle-like Gorm will be tamable. I do not know about the greater Gorm, but it could happen. :)

However, in regards to the two Silithid wasps mentioned earlier in your post, their tamability has nothing to do with lore. Within the lore, they were killed by the Adventurers that invaded Ahn'qiraj. Generally, if something is tamable within a dungeon or raid, it is just something for us Hunters and not anything lore-based. :)

Since Ardenweald isn't open yet for testing, and thus we do not know a lot about the Gorm yet, I do recall that either their file name or something like that is called "decomposers". So, going off of that name, they may bring about decomposition in Ardenweald. Whether they are a natural part of Ardenweald and help with the cycle of life there, or if they are considered pests/invaders that decompose everything, we don't know yet.

Thank you, I appreciate it! :D I think that the Greater Gorm is a bit more of a talking point, which is why I wanted to bring some attention to it. :)

You're right, taming doesn't have to do with lore, but I do like to find connections between the two to present more of a reason when discussing potential tames. That's all! :) I like getting into the nitty-gritty when dealing with these type of things, so I try to find reasons and connections between things, and present them in a way that can be explained in multiple facets. I like covering all my bases, and I enjoy going into hypotheticals. :lol:

I do find it interesting that they are labeled as decomposers, that was something I noticed too, but didn't pay too much attention to! I appreciate you bringing that to my attention to that, cause I didn't go over it too much in my post. Hopefully time will tell!