Shadowlands Alpha/Beta Beast Thread

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Re: Shadowlands Alpha/Beta Beast Thread

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

That angle for the lairon makes the wings look very broken lol.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by DannyGreen »

Wain wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:20 am I added another undead beast look that was added in the last patch, though this one may not become tameable because the model isn't. Undead Aqir Serpent: .

Maybe these would be better as flying worms rather than serpents? Hmmm.
I would sell my entire mount collection to tame that thing!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:10 pm That angle for the lairon makes the wings look very broken lol.
Yeah. I used to try to angle these things to hide the graphics issues but I gave up on this one 😝
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

I really do still like the Maw Roach model. Fingers crossed for those.

Check out the top of their exoskeleton.

EDIT: https://shadowlands.wowhead.com/npc=169747/maw-roach Nice!

EDIT2: https://shadowlands.wowhead.com/npc=165342/mawrat For those who like Mawrats.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Qraljar wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:08 am Image
I really do still like the Maw Roach model. Fingers crossed for those.

Check out the top of their exoskeleton.
They are pretty cool! When I first saw them modelled I thought they were low-res, but they're actually quite detailed, it's just the monochrome carapace that gives that impression. I want to get pics up for our use, but WMV isn't rendering their legs very well.

Sadly, WMV is rendering a record number of beasts poorly, as it falls further behind on texture effects that more and more models are using. Unfortunately I don't have nearly enough experience to fix that (I've tried, I get nowhere!). I'm starting to wonder if I should offer someone a lot of money to work on it so I can continue to use WMV for the sites here, or I give up on WMV and focus on encouraging other resources. :/
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

I don't really like bugs or beetles but that Maw Roach looks great. I hope it ends up tameable, those glows are neat.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Talihawk wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:31 am I don't really like bugs or beetles but that Maw Roach looks great. I hope it ends up tameable, those glows are neat.
Well, as I added below the picture, at least one Maw Roach NPC is labeled tameable as a beetle. Similarly, there are 3 Maw Rat mobs currently labeled as tameable Rodents. Of course, this could be faulty. After all, there are also spider boars (spiders in the boar family) and a tameable Shadra in the spider family (using the new spectral spider model), which I presume might be an error.. although they've let us tame Shadra before. But still, that was before Shadra got so much story involvement.
Wain wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:23 am Sadly, WMV is rendering a record number of beasts poorly, as it falls further behind on texture effects that more and more models are using. Unfortunately I don't have nearly enough experience to fix that (I've tried, I get nowhere!). I'm starting to wonder if I should offer someone a lot of money to work on it so I can continue to use WMV for the sites here, or I give up on WMV and focus on encouraging other resources. :/
A real conundrum for sure. As a 3D artist, I could tell you how that kind of effect is made by other 3D artists, but I couldn't help out even slightly with what work has to go into making something like that renderable in software that doesn't currently support that already. You could try to hit up Marlamin or Stiven from WoWhead and see if they would be willing to help you out?

worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

I’m now waiting and crossing my fingers for a mawrat, I want a rodent that is more different and menacing, not adorable or spiny, I don’t mind the maw roach too much, even though it looks cool, Aqir scarabs will always be #1 due to their uniqueness, I’m still browsing the forums 24/7 to see news for tameable pets
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

worgpower wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 3:55 am I’m now waiting and crossing my fingers for a mawrat, I want a rodent that is more different and menacing, not adorable or spiny, I don’t mind the maw roach too much, even though it looks cool, Aqir scarabs will always be #1 due to their uniqueness, I’m still browsing the forums 24/7 to see news for tameable pets
https://shadowlands.wowhead.com/npc=165342/mawrat
https://shadowlands.wowhead.com/npc=165345/giant-mawrat
https://shadowlands.wowhead.com/npc=165 ... ing-mawrat

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Hunters can't get into Torghast yet (and it's possible nothing in there will be tameable anyway). Hopefully there'll be some tameable Mawrats in the open-world section of The Maw, but that isn't implemented yet. At least it's promising that those ones are tameable in the database :)
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I hope most of the beasts will be tameable In the maw, especially the shadow beasts, of the winged ones are tameable I’m going to get a slight heart attack since it will be the first tameable beast with the drake skeleton, I especially love their attack animations, and I know they won’t make anything I tameable in torghast, just like the beasts in the island expedition is untameable
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've updated our list of "NPCs that aren't tameable but probably could be" for Revendreth and Bastion content: https://www.wow-petopia.com/tamecheck.php

Blizzard are aware of the list, and while I can't guarantee it will all become tameable, hopefully most will be :)

I'm also flagging NPCs that have given names and probably should retain them when tamed.

The list is sorted by untameable looks first, since they're the most critical, and untameable models last, since they're less likely to be intended to be tameable. Right now that last bit works out badly for the new spiders, since none of that model are tameable at this point, but they're almost certainly meant to be. The animites and phalynxes are less clear, but the former could be added to spiders (they're 8-legged creatures, so I guess spider mites? :) )
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Those Larions are cats, not feathermanes?
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

He changed it a week or a little more ago to cats
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

GormanGhaste wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:03 pm Those Larions are cats, not feathermanes?
Yeah. When the model first appeared I assumed they’d be feathermanes, but every one of them in the game is classed as a cat. And there’s one event where the teacher says something about how Bastion’s lions, referring to Larions, are cooler than those of other places (paraphrasing here). So I changed it.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

So far, we haven't seen much with regards to old creatures and families possibly being tameable (alpaca, brutos, kunchong, aqir goliaths, cloud serpents, etc.), so I wonder if they plan to stick to just new tames, at least for 9.0 release, other than the rams.

Obviously, alpha is alpha and things are subject to change, but just spitballing.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Qraljar wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 3:02 pm So far, we haven't seen much with regards to old creatures and families possibly being tameable (alpaca, brutos, kunchong, aqir goliaths, cloud serpents, etc.), so I wonder if they plan to stick to just new tames, at least for 9.0 release, other than the rams.

Obviously, alpha is alpha and things are subject to change, but just spitballing.
It’s hard to be sure, and I’d go so far as suggesting the devs don’t know either 😁 They haven’t done their taming passes yet and I suspect that they won’t have much time to think about it till that happens. Then again, they did already rename Quilen to accommodate Gargons, so maybe they’ve spent more time on it than I’m guessing.

Also, I just corrected my earlier post, after I realised my iPad had autocorrected 'Larions' to 'Latinos'. That was embarrassing 😜
Tsukina
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shen'dralar

Unread post by Tsukina »

Wain wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:49 am Also, I just corrected my earlier post, after I realised my iPad had autocorrected 'Larions' to 'Latinos'. That was embarrassing 😜
Don't worry, Latinos (like me for example) approve your autocorrect xd
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I started exploring Ardenweald today. It’s quite pretty, but with a lot of decay as well due to the storyline.

A lot of stuff isn’t currently tameable and it seems pretty random what is. But I’ll just post some pics of what I’ve tamed so far. Sorry there won’t be much commentary but it’s extremely late and I have work in under 6 hours :p

There are at least 3 stunning new vulpin colours, and 3 or 4 Ardenmoths (these are a bit small, even though my perspective shots make them look big, and they fly too close to the ground, but those should be easy to fix. There are a bunch of runestags but only a couple can be tamed right now. And a couple of colours of the wicked new Gorm wasp model.

Some of the lovely new crane colours appear in Ardenweald, as do the special Arden version of the dream runner, but none of those can be tamed quite yet.
4DBE7B93-5264-4DFF-8FE0-C59EB0392A15.jpeg
4DBE7B93-5264-4DFF-8FE0-C59EB0392A15.jpeg (191.63 KiB) Viewed 4387 times
ECF4AA7A-2250-49B0-A111-92BB497936D1.jpeg
ECF4AA7A-2250-49B0-A111-92BB497936D1.jpeg (139.07 KiB) Viewed 4387 times
72DF0F73-8C09-445F-9E4F-C16E5F52FEC9.jpeg
72DF0F73-8C09-445F-9E4F-C16E5F52FEC9.jpeg (137.3 KiB) Viewed 4387 times
DCC36F18-330B-46D0-8E07-D0AA88D60C8F.jpeg
DCC36F18-330B-46D0-8E07-D0AA88D60C8F.jpeg (78.49 KiB) Viewed 4387 times
2F8988E4-B11E-4FBE-88C4-8F61179D37F5.jpeg
2F8988E4-B11E-4FBE-88C4-8F61179D37F5.jpeg (134.75 KiB) Viewed 4387 times
FC8A74E4-58C5-4363-8253-8018C9D9ADB6.jpeg
FC8A74E4-58C5-4363-8253-8018C9D9ADB6.jpeg (72.63 KiB) Viewed 4387 times
E1E860AC-5DD9-4F5D-A662-23350AE56706.jpeg
E1E860AC-5DD9-4F5D-A662-23350AE56706.jpeg (136.61 KiB) Viewed 4387 times
ADBE93E7-AC24-48C2-AFAE-0AA9F3DB167F.jpeg
ADBE93E7-AC24-48C2-AFAE-0AA9F3DB167F.jpeg (77.52 KiB) Viewed 4387 times
AFEA5977-CC6D-44E1-B6C5-3F6C79D4D840.jpeg
AFEA5977-CC6D-44E1-B6C5-3F6C79D4D840.jpeg (203.76 KiB) Viewed 4387 times
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

The wasp is clearly the MVP out of this batch. It looks so vicious and large. Might it be bigger than average wasps?