Exiles Reach Starting Pets Thread

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Exiles Reach Starting Pets Thread

Unread post by Maizou »

It looks as though there's a single unique pet on Exile's Reach.

When you get past the Harpy quest, you are asked to tame a wolf. This wolf has a unique skin (as far as I can tell, as I don't see it on petopia) I don't recall ever seeing a wolf with bands available on it in the game.

There's also a named Elite on the Isle that has a re-used diseased bear skin, but retains its name when tamed:

Also, I know it doesn't help without the names, but I went through every single beast on the island and was able to cast Tame Beast on them. The only one I couldn't was Bloodbeak, but it was confirmed tameable earlier.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Shadowlands Alpha/Beta Beast Thread

Unread post by Wain »

Myzou wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:21 am It looks as though there's a single unique pet on Exile's Reach.

When you get past the Harpy quest, you are asked to tame a wolf. This wolf has a unique skin (as far as I can tell, as I don't see it on petopia) I don't recall ever seeing a wolf with bands available on it in the game.

Hehe. That's probably a mistake. That's the mount skin and those bands are meant to line up with the armour and saddle :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Ailuridae
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Ailuridae »

Wain wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:23 am Hehe. That's probably a mistake. That's the mount skin and those bands are meant to line up with the armour and saddle :)
To be fair, it looks bomb on a pet, I'd happily raise a character from level one for it. Shame it wouldn't be on a Mag'har, they love those wolfies!
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Wain wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:23 am Hehe. That's probably a mistake. That's the mount skin and those bands are meant to line up with the armour and saddle :)
As much as I like having a pet or two fully geared out, like my clefthoof in full mount armor, sometimes less is more. The bands say "this is more than just a wild animal" without being super flashy. It's realistic for a trained dog or wolf could have that kind of 'clothes'. It fits with the 'good looking, but simple and kind of plausible' designs of the weapons you can get from there.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Fair enough :) As long as there aren't any other weird patches on the skin (sometimes mount skins have weird shading patches that armour or saddles are supposed to sit on top of), then it would be fine as a pet.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

Wain wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:23 am
Myzou wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:21 am It looks as though there's a single unique pet on Exile's Reach.

Hehe. That's probably a mistake. That's the mount skin and those bands are meant to line up with the armour and saddle :)
The story is that it's a wolf from the expedition, so it's possible it's intentional. As the bands would show it did belong to someone, but they likely died.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

There's also a named Elite on the Isle that has a re-used diseased bear skin, but retains its name when tamed:

Also, I know it doesn't help without the names, but I went through every single beast on the island and was able to cast Tame Beast on them. The only one I couldn't was Bloodbeak, but it was confirmed tameable earlier.
Too bad it’s only in Exile’s reach, I want that wolf
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

That wolf must be human exclusive. Draenei got a boring moth with a red body and green wings. Kind of sad.
Veronika

Unread post by Veronika »

Oh I finally realised what that Exile’s Reach wolf guy meant haha, I was paying close attention to the quests as well that is just sad. Taurens get an awful looking plainstrider, Bloodbeak was the highlight tame for me and the bear looking so small and looking at me with that head turning had me snickering, cause he looked so helpless now, no more big scary bear, he also looses whatever is stuck in his side, too bad.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

If anyone feels like helping document what the "starting" pet on Exile's Reach is for each race once they fix the Meredy quest with me, it'd be appreciated.

The wolf with bands on it is apparently Human-only, and someone mentioned Draenei get a red moth.

Preferably with pics. I posted one of the wolf, I'll try to get one of the other races I go through it with.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Myzou wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:11 am If anyone feels like helping document what the "starting" pet on Exile's Reach is for each race once they fix the Meredy quest with me, it'd be appreciated.

The wolf with bands on it is apparently Human-only, and someone mentioned Draenei get a red moth.

Preferably with pics. I posted one of the wolf, I'll try to get one of the other races I go through it with.
That would be awesome! Thank you :)
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

So the Exile's Reach starting pets are definitely different than regular starting pets.

Humans have a banded wolf as opposed to the vanilla wolf regular has.

Dwarves have a black bear, as opposed to brown bear regular has.

---

So far the human one is a unique skin, so the question becomes are any other races unique. I wish they'd let us just race change the dang character because there's so many races to test.

And Wain, they're literally just called "Bear" and such.
Nazja
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Nazja »

Darkspear trolls get the green Daenor raptor, which happens to be the pet they are shown alongside of on the character creation screen.

Edit:
Actually, the pet shown on the character creation screen is the green ravasaur from BFA. I wonder if there's actually a way to start with that pet, instead of the red vanilla raptor we have on live or the green Draenor raptor we have on Exile's Reach.

Edit 2:
Night elves get a black-nosed tiger from MoP. Not sure why they didn't give them one of the new nightsabers added in BFA, which are still missing some tameable colors.

Edit 3:
You can actually see which pet your character's race will get directly at the start of the starting zone. It is one of the NPCs on the ship.

Orcs also get a banded Draenor wolf.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Wain wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:43 am A quirky bugged pet in Shadowlands that will almost certainly be fixed or made untameable before launch: the Enormous Gyreworm from Deepholm. It has NO appearance when tamed, though it becomes a cute puddle of fire during Bestial Wrath.

InvisGyreworm1.png InvisGyreworm2.png InvisGyreworm3.png

This is the NPC from the Beneath the Surface daily, which spawns when you try to pluck a ruby cluster. I suspect this mechanism is preventing the pet getting the right appearance before it's tamed.
Oh no, it's the fire patch all over again. :lol:
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

Here's the remaining races starting pets on Exile's Reach. (Human, Dwarf, Orc, and Troll are above) SOme really make zero sense like a Scorpid for Goblins or Night Elf with a Tiger.

Goblinoid

Unread post by Goblinoid »

Myzou wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:22 pm Here's the remaining races starting pets on Exile's Reach. (Human, Dwarf, Orc, and Troll are above) SOme really make zero sense like a Scorpid for Goblins or Night Elf with a Tiger.

I mean it kinda makes sense? Exile's Reach is a zone all in it's entirety and it's not gonna house all of the racial creatures. I couldn't see night sabers or owls on a tropical island.
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Maizou »

Goblinoid wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:17 pm
I mean it kinda makes sense? Exile's Reach is a zone all in it's entirety and it's not gonna house all of the racial creatures. I couldn't see night sabers or owls on a tropical island.
THe beast is being brought with the expedition. It's not from the island.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Scorpions and goblins don't seem strange to me--I spent a lot of time in Tanaris back in the day. And although I usually think of arid climates when I think of scorpions, they also live in the tropics and even on beaches.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Draenei should start with Elekks.

Night Elves should start with an Owl or a Saber.

Goblins should start with.. uhh.. huh.. A monkey? A gorilla? A toad? Oh, oh, a BfA riverbeast?

Or just some mech gorilla or dog, idk.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

Qraljar wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:29 pm Draenei should start with Elekks.

Night Elves should start with an Owl or a Saber.

Goblins should start with.. uhh.. huh.. A monkey? A gorilla? A toad? Oh, oh, a BfA riverbeast?

Or just some mech gorilla or dog, idk.
Night elves should get an unused color of grand nightsaber, Taurens should get a kodo, goblins should get a mechanical gorilla or frog, and dwarves should start with a ram, they’re better for them than bears, besides the hunters and the dwarf in the cinematic, I’ve never seen too many dwarves using bears and being anywhere close to bears, so might as well