Exotic Beasts moved to level 39 (~ 98-99!)

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Exotic Beasts moved to level 39 (~ 98-99!)

Unread post by Wain »

It looks like Exotic Beasts has been moved to level 39 in Shadowlands. This is the equivalent of 98-99 in our current system and a shameful and pointless jump.

Exotic Beasts was originally level 10 (where I believe it should have stayed). It was then increased to 65 in BfA, for no given reason. And now increased to the equivalent of 98-99. Constantly moving goal posts on something that should be a fun part of Beast Mastery.

If you have access feel free to express your own feelings here:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t ... ase/617654
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Re: Exotic Beasts moved to level 39 (~ 98-99!)

Unread post by Qraljar »

That's really depressing. I don't see the point. It's already BM-only? Why not just make it a level 10 thing and make it a core BM thing you learn early on?
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

To be fair, exotic beasts couldn't be tamed until we were in the 60s for the first three expansions it was available (Wrath through MoP). Level 10 was only available in WoD and Legion.

That being said, I think it should be level 10. If they are worried about certain exotic abilities, they can always make them inactive until higher levels.
Bambu
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo/Eitrigg

Unread post by Bambu »

I'd be cool if they just removed exotic abilities entirely if that's why they're so wishy-washy with letting us tame stuff at lower levels. I don't like feeling like I have to use a spirit beast in most situations anyhow.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah, I agree about the removing exotics entirely :) But while they keep it they should at least make them accessible during leveling and not push them towards end-game. It seems like they just thought "there's a gap in ability gain up here, so let's move this skill way up and hide it. Nobody will care or notice."
ace_of_hearth
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by ace_of_hearth »

At what level can a player learn Tome of Hybrid Beasts?
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

ace_of_hearth wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:42 am At what level can a player learn Tome of Hybrid Beasts?
It looks like 45: https://shadowlands.wowhead.com/item=14 ... brid-beast

Which isn't too far off what it is now, equivalence-wise.
Bambu
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo/Eitrigg

Unread post by Bambu »

Tome of Hybrid Beast should be an account-wide unlock without a level restriction for that matter. The Survival and Marksmanship ones are, being mounts and all. Isn't Blood Beast taming account-wide?
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Oof, this kills the motivation to level my panda for Guardian of the Elders. Sure hope this is an accident, and they meant to move another ability to 39 instead of Exotic Beasts. Muffinus wouldn't betray us like this, right?
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

WerebearGuy wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:31 pm Oof, this kills the motivation to level my panda for Guardian of the Elders. Sure hope this is an accident, and they meant to move another ability to 39 instead of Exotic Beasts. Muffinus wouldn't betray us like this, right?
Probably isn’t Muffinus’ decision. Muffinus isn’t the only Blizz employee that works on Hunters.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

This is for taming the beast, and not unlocking the exotic ability right? I could see taming it at lower level like 10, but not unlocking its second exotic ability till a little later (granted, not level 39 later).
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Just logged on to PTR, and my poor panda (Level 65 on live) can't call out his Guardian of the Elders anymore. Says I don't know how to control exotics or whatever. This change really needs to be reverted, because this is painful.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

That sucks for the people leveling a BM hunter, I feel good to have a max level cuz I don’t need to worry about it, but it sucks how they keep raising levels for spells and all that, when I logged into my survival on ptr, half of my abilities got removed due to raising their levels, my sv hunter is lvl 55 and even my talents got removed
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Another thing that really infuriates me about it is that they have such a wide variety of rare exotic beasts made at low levels *specifically* so that hunters have access to them. Not the 'Classic' rares, but ones added later for taming purposes.
.... but now the exotics, they won't have access to until they're level 39?!
Why bother putting rare rhinos in Winterspring, for instance, if you can't tame them for the entire time you're in the area?
I know it's by no means the biggest issue, but it's one of the things that makes me scratch my head.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Imagine seeing Loque when you're leveling in Northrend. "Cool! Wait.. I can't tame.."
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Lee
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Moonguard | Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Lee »

God, that sucks. :/
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Qraljar wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:36 pm Imagine seeing Loque when you're leveling in Northrend. "Cool! Wait.. I can't tame.."
Oh gosh! I didn't even *think* of this! I was only thinking of the stuff they added not long after Cataclysm, but you're right: most of the spirit beasts are actually below found in below-level-39 zones, aren't they? Unless zone levels have been cranked up way more than I realized (which is possible)!

That's just sadistic. :/ Accidentally or otherwise.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Nazja
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Nazja »

Since you should now be able to go from level 10 (post-starting zone) to 50 by playing through a single expansion, you would probably be safe as long as you leave Sholazar for one of the last zones in a Northrend exclusive playthrough.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

I'm reporting this daily as a bug on PTR, as well as sending a suggestion daily to fix it, but the problem still persists. It's taking too long to be fixed, and the expansion keeps inching closer. Don't let this actually stay as is.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

WerebearGuy wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:51 pm I'm reporting this daily as a bug on PTR, as well as sending a suggestion daily to fix it, but the problem still persists. It's taking too long to be fixed, and the expansion keeps inching closer. Don't let this actually stay as is.
While we do need to put on some pressure to get it changed, we have time. It was just implemented with the last build, so it hasn't been up a week yet. The xpac propably won't be launched until sometime in October or November.