Shadowlands Mount Contest

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Shadowlands Mount Contest

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Blizz has just announced that they will be creating a new mount and giving it out for free to all players that own Shadowlands! We get to vote on which mount they make.

Blizzard

"This year we’ve been all called upon to overcome many things, and we’re ever grateful to you—our community—for being with us each step of the way during these uncertain times. In that spirit of unity, and as a token of our appreciation, we want to collaborate with everyone who owns Shadowlands to create a mount that you can ride across the realms of the afterlife.

Vote here by September 18 at 3:00 p.m. PDT to choose which mount you’d like for us to create. When the polls close, we’ll tally up each region’s results to determine which is the fan favorite. Please note that there are several polls from different regions, so make sure yours is counted in the correct region!

Making a Mount Together

Our artists have kicked things off by coming up with concepts for five unique mounts for you to choose between. Now it’s time for your part—pick your favorite from the poll linked above and below; the highest number of votes internationally will be crowned the winning choice and our artists will begin working on making your choice a reality.

Wandering Ancient – Not all ancients are interested in war or lore, some just want to travel the world! A large and leafy mount, the Wandering Ancient invites you to climb aboard and grab ahold of its branches as you embark on a lumbering expedition.

Soaring Spelltome – In the forgotten depths of the Dalaran library, this oversized tome was found flapping madly around the room. Open the pages of this arcane-infused book and hitch a ride to magical adventure.

Nerubian Swarmer – When the Helm of Domination shattered, the Nerubians under the control of the Lich King were unleashed. Some were captured by the Argent Crusade and turned by their allies in the Ebon Blade. Now their spidery claws are put to use as mounts, skittering through the frozen tundra of Icecrown in pursuit of the rampaging undead.

Curious Caterpillar – A curious caterpillar found its way to the Heartland in Valley of the Four Winds one night and gorged itself on the oversized vegetables. The Pandaren of Halfhill awoke the next morning to find the crops half-eaten and an enormous, slumbering caterpillar among them. Too large to become a butterfly, this friendly worm is just the right size to train as a mount.

Gooey Slimesaber – From the slime pools of Plaguefall emerged all manner of jellied creature, including this sticky kitty. A slimy saber cat that’s dripping with ooze, it’s the kind of mount that you’re going to want to wear gloves for.

Once our artists finish making the mount ready to ride, it will be added to the Mount Collection tab in Q1 2021 for every player with Shadowlands activated on their account. Polls will remain open for two weeks before we close them on September 18 at 3:00 p.m. PDT, so be sure to pick your favorite before then! Do take note that there are several polls from different regions to support our players around the world, and your region’s poll results will only reflect the votes counted in your region.

Mount names and descriptions are in development and subject to change."

I personally will be voting for the Wandering Ancient! :D
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Re: Shadowlands Mount Contest

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Without pictures, I'm skeptical. It's rough not knowing what you're voting for. Actions speak louder than words, and showing concept art would be all the action needed.

Team caterpillar, by the way.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

WerebearGuy wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:22 pm Without pictures, I'm skeptical. It's rough not knowing what you're voting for. Actions speak louder than words, and showing concept art would be all the action needed.

Team caterpillar, by the way.
Agreed, some concept art would be great. The Nerubian Skitterer just sounds like a reskin of the bloodfeasters. The slime cat is just another of the many cat mounts we already have. The caterpillar, tome, and ancient are the ones that sound unique and, hopefully, have new models and rigs.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

It is early yet, but the ancient is currently winning.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Nerubian Swarmer is clearly the only choice. :D
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

For me it’s either the Nerubian or the Ancient, we’ve never had a tree mount, we need that perfect Druid/what ever nature themed class mount
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Well, since there's no concept art to really judge by, I'm just going to make some assumptions here.

Slimesaber:
Meh, another cat out of the bazillion already in the game. We've so many cats that Blizzard has already even given us alien cats, fire cats and multiple arcane cats. Pass.

Caterpillar:
Fun and quirky, but ultimately not something that will hold up in my experience. Don't see why I would use it, but it's okay.

Ancient:
Sounds gimmicky and clunky. Will probably use the Infernal skeleton and be one of those things that might be novel the first time but gets annoying quickly, even if it gets used more than once. Even as a NE player, I'll have to pass on this.

Tome:
Cool in concept, will probably just be a textured square/rectangle that your character can stand on in practice. Meh.

Nerubian Swarmer:

Currently most likely to get my vote. Could be either a boring Nazmir Bloodtick reskin, or a cool tanky beetle/spider hybrid you can charge into battle on. If it's a reskinned Bloodfeaster, meh. If it's the latter, then I'll pick this.

Honestly, I wish they'd tack some concept art on this. Knowing what the Nerubian Swarmer would look like could make me vote for it or not.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

The nerubian types don't really have solid enough names to know what they mean by "swarmer". And it could be a significantly new design too. Some of them would be my first choice, but some would be my last choice. Some concept art would be nice. Tree could be awesome. Book, if the mounted animation is good, would be pretty fun too. Not surfing, like the rugs.

It's hard to choose, I kind of hope there's enough interest in several of them, that they make mounts of them too. Just the first one would be free and the others would cost gold, like they did with that vanity motorcycle tv show, except it wouldn't screw people over based on their faction.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I'm sure that they'll all eventually be made and released, just whichever ones do not win will be sold by vendors, dropped, a secret, etc.
Dewclaw
Realm: Llane

Unread post by Dewclaw »

I wish they'd make them all and just let us pick which one we want, one per account obviously. I'd go got the slime kitty.
MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t ... unt/632756 here's the link for the voting.

I went with slime cat, cause none of the others really interest me at all. At least the slime cat has interesting potential (like maybe there's like a dead mouse floating around in the goop too).
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Myeah, gotta stick with Nerubian here. The Ancient sounds like it'll just end up being annoying to deal with and reuse the Infernal Skeleton. The tome will probably just be a static thing you stand on that zips around.

I think the ancient is winning, though.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Qraljar wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:17 pm Myeah, gotta stick with Nerubian here. The Ancient sounds like it'll just end up being annoying to deal with and reuse the Infernal Skeleton. The tome will probably just be a static thing you stand on that zips around.

Yep. It is the Ancient, Slimecat, Tome, and then Nerubian and Caterpillar are tied.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Valnaaros wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:33 pm
Qraljar wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:17 pm Myeah, gotta stick with Nerubian here. The Ancient sounds like it'll just end up being annoying to deal with and reuse the Infernal Skeleton. The tome will probably just be a static thing you stand on that zips around.

Yep. It is the Ancient, Slimecat, Tome, and then Nerubian and Caterpillar are tied.
Fate would have it that the two I am least apathetic about are the least popular. Oh well.

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I'd be happy with any of them except the slime saber. Oof, I'm starting to feel like voting for anything other than the Ancient is a vote for slime...haha, it's true!
Krauth
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Bleeding Hollow

Unread post by Krauth »

Ancient or slime cat.

All gonna have old rigs, but at least ancient will most likely look great on any race.

At least the 2 i liked the most are the top winning votes.

Made a post begging for some base concept arts

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t ... est/632865
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Probably team caterpillar for me.

The ancient: I’m not fond of mounts where we stand on the shoulders of something tall. Most of them look forced to me, like the elementals. In the case of the Ancient it could be even worse, as it may need some distortion or canopy-clipping for the player to be visible (again, some concept art would help reassure us that isn’t the case!)

The slime Saber: we really have too many freaking cats. But one benefit of this one is they might produce a non-mount version too, which could be a future tame!

The spell tome: maybe they’ll do something amazing with this, but without any descriptives at all I find it hard to get excited about sitting in a book. And a flappy book is likely to have jumpy visuals.

Neruvian swarmer could look good, but is also likely to be very much like a blood beast mount.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

On the tooltip mentioned above, I believe the swarmer might be the skitterer above, it says it skitters through the icy tundras of northrend, so I believe that it’s the skitterer, the caterpillar, I’m not to sure I would want that because it’s probably the size of a krolusk/gorm and it would be hard to fully view the mount as we’re running, the slime saber, meh, another cat, and I see your point with the ancient, and the book, not a fan of riding magical objects, I’m more on riding the living stuff type of guy
Last edited by worgpower on Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

For the book and the tree, I think the rider's stance could make or break it. I think the surfing pose on either would detract too much. For the tree, the rider should be sitting on a shoulder, and they should try to keep their upper body pointed upwards (within a limit). So if the tree angles itself because of terrain, the rider leans the other way, with a speed maybe half of heads turning. I know other mounts don't do this, but when the rider is so far from the ground, it looks more and more bizarre.

I went nerubian, assuming that the swarmer is the same type as the nerubian swarmer minipet.
Qraljar
Pet Finder

Unread post by Qraljar »

Yeah, I'm assuming this is what they mean by Nerubian Swarmer
Which would make for a cool mount. Spiderbeetle tank that skitters around.

Sadly, the tree or the goo cat are a lock in already at this point, and I don't expect that to change unless they add concept art that changes people's minds drastically.