Beta 10.0 Beast Thread

worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Re: Beta 10.0 Beast Thread

Unread post by worgpower »

I still remember taming my first spirit beast during Cata, I hope DF will have a spirit beast, I have a feeling that Beakers will be a spirit beast, my reason being, he has no texture, so there will probably be a spiritual look, and he is oddly flagged exotic even though he is still a tallstrider
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Yep, Wrath introduced the first four; Loque'nahak, Gondria, Skoll, and Arcturis. Loque came first, and the other three just kind of got added later. Loque still remains the most unique, with absolutely no other spirit beast having even come close. It's amazing how that polygonal mess of a model still reigns supreme, even when compared to more modern models.

My Flight Rising lair

Times banned from World of Warcraft: 1
Reason for ban: Reporting an item duplication exploit with Pet Battles I accidentally found during Mists of Pandaria. 3 week duration.

worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

WerebearGuy wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:14 pm Yep, Wrath introduced the first four; Loque'nahak, Gondria, Skoll, and Arcturis. Loque came first, and the other three just kind of got added later. Loque still remains the most unique, with absolutely no other spirit beast having even come close. It's amazing how that polygonal mess of a model still reigns supreme, even when compared to more modern models.
Yeah, loque is very iconic, which makes people realm hop and ask discords, I was easily able to snag her when right after maintenance happens on tuesdays, I used to wish for the same model but for regular cats
Tsukina
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shen'dralar

Unread post by Tsukina »

I was in the lich with my Green TRex calling "Manzanito" (small green apple), the spirit beasts have never called me, although I captured some, I think the only one I got to use in a real way was the fox from the cemetery of the Duskwood.
PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

Wrath is very memorable for their hunter pet rares, especially with exotics because even previous expansions had a rare that could be tamed only with wrath. (Neramic purple outland chimera)
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I still haven't seen Aotona in the wild!
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

I just want to playfully point out that the thread's title is now accurate, as the Beta branch is active as of today. That said, here's to more beasts being flagged tameable in the coming days/weeks/months!

My Flight Rising lair

Reason for ban: Reporting an item duplication exploit with Pet Battles I accidentally found during Mists of Pandaria. 3 week duration.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Since we can now copy characters over, we can now tame Feathermanes.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I think this xpac is a good time to branch out wyverns and slyverns into a family of their own and add razorwings there as well, they would make great dodge ferocity pets, i am also wondering what untameable looks and families are coming on prepatch
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

All four slyverns are tameable:
Slyvern_White_1.png
Slyvern_White_1.png (422.44 KiB) Viewed 2731 times
Slyvern_Red_1.png
Slyvern_Red_1.png (435.32 KiB) Viewed 2731 times
Slyvern_Yellow_1.png
Slyvern_Yellow_1.png (389.77 KiB) Viewed 2731 times
Slyvern_Black_1.png
Slyvern_Black_1.png (347.39 KiB) Viewed 2731 times
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

They feel too small, and I only now noticed that they have thumbs. WHY DO THEY HAVE THUMBS?! That's creepy as hell.

My Flight Rising lair

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

WerebearGuy wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:23 pm They feel too small, and I only now noticed that they have thumbs. WHY DO THEY HAVE THUMBS?! That's creepy as hell.
the thumbs themselves don't bother me that much, it's more the fact that they have 2 sets of structural hands

bats have thumbs in real life, but it makes sense because their "fingers" are the wing bones, slyverns seem to have both but, eh, artistic liberties I guess :lol:

PorrasouxRex
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by PorrasouxRex »

Blizzard really don't want feathermanes to fly lol
"The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in our control, and not the other way around."

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

The thumb thing on the slyverns is that they have hands AND wings, rather than hands that have adapted into wings. If we use real biology, then slyverns have seven digits with one digit being attached to its elbow. Just think; a finger on your ELBOW. That's just weird as hell. Not to mention how those hands look like mutant growths out of their limbs rather than a natural evolutionary trait.

As for Blizzard not wanting pets to fly; there's a good reason for that, and it's a whiny bunch of players who have the highest level of entitlement out of the playerbase. Flappy pets are ANNOYING in pvp due to their size and erratic movement, and because it's a brand of annoyance that can easily be "fixed" by simply keeping pets grounded where possible, it receives that trimming. The best solution is obviously a way to toggle flight and terrestrial movement that's forced to terrestrial in a pvp environment, but it's just significantly easier and cost effective to not let them fly in the first place. It's unfortunate.

My Flight Rising lair

worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Blizzard should add a new trick ability to pets that have wings but don’t fly

Hover-Command your pet to hover for a short period of time

I know birds of prey, and waterfowl have extra abilities and all, but it would enhance pet flavor
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

So with the last build, Ottuks are no longer able to be tamed. Apparently they are now locked behind something that will allow us to tame them.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

I mean, on one hand that's very likely one of the bonus rewards for repping with the Tuskarr, which adds unnecessary extra incentive to hunters who were already going to be hanging out with the walrus bros. On the other hand, I HATE THAT SO VERY MUCH. What an incredibly stupid change. I want to use harsher language, but I won't for the sake of integrity. Otters should not be restricted like that when they're nothing exotic or unnatural.

My Flight Rising lair

worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

That doesn’t make sense to me, otters are standard wild beasts in wows standards, they’re not overly shiny or exotic looking, hopefully it’s not linked behind rep or renown, I hope it’s unlocked by a questline or a npc drop
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

It definitely looks like ottuks are now a skill tame of some kind. Hopefully it's not too hard, whatever it is. That blood beast thing with the raid was abyssmal and a terrible idea.

The most likely source almost goes without saying: is it a Tuskarr thing?

A search of Wowhead items and spells with the word "ottuk" in them reveals nothing promising. The same with "tome" when limited to the Dragonflight expansion. Likewise, "tame" doesn't seem to bring up anything useful.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

My guess is that it may not be fully implemented yet. We also have to keep in mind that like with the Undead tome, Blizz could make it so that the source cannot be found until the xpac goes live.