Cataclysm Talent System - Completely Changed

Loridon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Cataclysm Talent System - Completely Changed

Unread post by Loridon »

[Mania says: Blizzard post is here - http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 5626290449]

I just saw it on mmo-champion. Blizzard reducing each tree to 31-point talents!

Very interesting. Dont know what to think about that.
Last edited by Mania on Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding link to Blizzard post.
Saturo

Re: 31 talent tree

Unread post by Saturo »

That's it. I'm quitting this game.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Hmm, seems interesting. I think I like it though. :)

•You choose one tree at level 10 and then can only add talents to that tree until you have put 31 points in it. Then the other trees open up.
•At level 78 and above, items will start dropping with Mastery as a stat. Once Mastery is learned from your class trainer, the stat will give bonuses based on the tree specialized in.
Senna-Umbreon
Realm: Eonar, Nesingwary, Windrunner and the Venture Co.

Unread post by Senna-Umbreon »

Somehow.. I doubt this'll make it into the retal version of Cataclysm. I'm betting there'll be so much rage from the community that Blizzard could very well scrap the idea completely! I mean, they kinda did that with Path of the Titans, and there was a rage about THAT! I seriously doubt Blizz will get away with this one without getting absolutely bombarded by rage.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Hmm, really? I rather like it, I'm not sure what would cause a lot of rage.
The idea isn't to give players fewer choices, but to make those choices feel more meaningful. Your rotations won't change and you won't lose any cool talents. What will change are all of the filler talents you had to pick up to get to the next fun talent, as well as most talents that required 5 of your hard-earned points.
Also, I like the sound of this. It's true, you don't necessarily feel like your chosen talent tree until much later on.
We want to focus the talent trees towards your chosen style of gameplay right away. That first point you spend in a tree should be very meaningful. If you choose Enhancement, we want you to feel like an Enhancement shaman right away, not thirty talent points later. When talent trees are unlocked at level 10, you will be asked to choose your specialization (e.g. whether you want to be an Arms, Fury or Protection warrior) before spending that first point. Making this choice comes with certain benefits, including whatever passive bonuses you need to be effective in that role, and a signature ability that used to be buried deeper in the talent trees. These abilities and bonuses are only available by specializing in a specific tree. Each tree awards its own unique active ability and passives when chosen.
Nevar
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

Unread post by Nevar »

I kinda like it.. I mean it'll take time to work around but I saw something like this coming when they narrowed down how many ranks of certain talents their were. I think its a good idea it'll get rid of "fluff" talents that you HAVE to take to get to the next level EVEN if you dont want it/wont ever use it. It'll take getting used to like verything else but Cataclysm seems to be a new wow completely.

Foxy and Wiley! <3

Siggy credit to Erwil! and Avatar credit to Erwil as well!!

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Not just these talents. The game I fell in love with way back has been changed too much. The first thing they removed was the need for a brain to play. Then they simplified it even more. I mean, we have spells that we haven't had to use since the good old days of fourty man raids.

RealID, aka in-game facebook was too much for me. Then we get our names all over the forums.
Now they're removing our talents.

I seriously doubt I'll be able to play this game much longer.

"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Palladiamorsdeus
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Scarlet Monastary, Sentinels

Unread post by Palladiamorsdeus »

I don't like it. It feels like they are getting rid of our options, and funneling us into being 'good'. It seems like a form of anti-stupid to me, and it honestly just pisses me the hell off. I didn't think there was anything wrong with the old system. This just means less work in designing and balancing talents for them, and fewer nobs for them to turn, as they put it.

Thanks go to Saturo for the signature.
Senna-Umbreon

I never said I didn't like it, I just said that Blizzard probably won't get away with this without getting blasted into oblivion by rage from the community! Case in point; Saturo. :lol:

I'm currently on the fence about this, I'll have to get a bit more info on it before I decide whether I like it or not.. Then again, I did skim over the blue post about it.. Maybe I should go read it fully ^^;
Kaleos
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Ner'zhul/Nesingwary

Unread post by Kaleos »

I'm liking these changes so far, of course time will tell how much they go about changing it. Like Veph quoted it'll make your choices much more meaningful and actually force people into focusing and learning about their select tree, instead of cherry picking talents across all three that just look good. This of course is dependent on what talents blizz leaves in/takes out and how well they can stream line the trees. For the most part though, I'm kinda liking this one.
For just one click a day, you too can sponsor a squiby pet. Do it! :D
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Palladiamorsdeus wrote:I don't like it. It feels like they are getting rid of our options, and funneling us into being 'good'. It seems like a form of anti-stupid to me, and it honestly just pisses me the hell off. I didn't think there was anything wrong with the old system. This just means less work in designing and balancing talents for them, and fewer nobs for them to turn, as they put it.
Aye. I mean, we can fill out two and a half trees. You won't need a brain to spec properly. -.-

Ungoro
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Shattered Halls PVP EU

Unread post by Ungoro »

At first I was like "lolwut? Blizzard, why you trolling us?" Then I read more and I think I like it, I think it sounds...Interesting. But at the moment it's too soon to tell. They could make this interesting, but they could just mess it up...I'm obviously hoping they will make it into to something beautiful and spectacular!

Ungoro of Khadgar

<Disturbing The Peace>

http://dragcave.net/user/Ungoro

Chrizesu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Sisters of Elune (US RP)

Unread post by Chrizesu »

Hmm, this means you won't be able to go into another tree until approx level 72.

Mains: [Burninrain|Zirconium|Ivoress|Nantosuelta|Sunrain]
Alts: [Emuishéré|Cynderlilly|Runicated|Marcell]

Senna-Umbreon

You know.. Now that I read about it more.. I think I'm starting to like this idea...
Loridon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Loridon »

ppl dont like change but let the rage go to the real ID crap.(never post on that forum again if that goes live)

Its back like pre-tbc with 31 talent tree but now whey have more points to spend.
Chrizesu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

You know that this means that while leveling we probably won't be able to find any healers at all.

Loridon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Loridon »

Chrizesu wrote:You know that this means that while leveling we probably won't be able to find any healers at all.
Why not?There is Dual Talent Specialization.
Chrizesu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Loridon wrote:
Chrizesu wrote:You know that this means that while leveling we probably won't be able to find any healers at all.
Why not?There is Dual Talent Specialization.
Not until level 40 and some healers actually used a few talents out of their trees to boost survivability as solo.

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Most healers you get at low levels level trough instances, so I doubt that will be a problem.

Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

I disagree. I've looked at the shaman and druid resto trees as they were up until this change, and both have lots of offensive boosts in there. It's very clear to me that the new resto talents are geared towards 1) making it easier to solo as resto, and 2) making it easier to pvp as resto.

As for this change... I dunno. I honestly don't understand why they're overhauling things to such a degree, but it looks to me like they're taking this (Cata) as an opportunity to "fix" things they consider bugged or broken. Whether we agree with that assessment or not, I mean.

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3