Real to Virtual: A good idea?

GreenSea
Realm: Lightninghoof

Real to Virtual: A good idea?

Unread post by GreenSea »

So I'm still pretty new to the forums hur, and this is my first topic post, so I'm apologizing ahead of time if it's been done already.

Basically I'm just curious as to what everyone thinks on taming a pet to be like a pet you got in real life. I tried it the other day, and I'm not sure how I feel. See my dog and best friend of the last 13 years Hercules sadly passed away back in March to old age, and I was really missing him a few days ago. But it then occurred to me that I could go tame a black wolf and kinda sorta still play with Herc (he was a black lab/German Shepard mix). So I went to the hinterlands and hunted down trolls till I found me a Vilebranch pup. I wanted one cuz we got Herc when he was only 1 month, and he was the runt of the litter that became the coolest one, so I figured it fit. So I had the virtual Herc, and I was really happy with him. Fed him got him happy and everything, and decided to run a few heroics with him to get his level up. About the 4th mob in the tank really starts sucking, and Herc gets all the aggro and is quickly defeated. Then of course the standard "Your pet is dead" flashed up, and without even thinking I immediately abandoned him. Just seeing those words and having a virtual Herc was too much. Granted I really should have thought that one through better, but it still was kinda cool to be "playing" with him again. Honestly I think it's just too soon to do it.

However I am thinking about taming a crab and naming after one of my hermit crabs Broseidon). Now that one I think could actually be a lot of fun, and I know the "your pet is dead" message won't bug me nearly as much. So I may do it.

So does anyone have similar experiences or thoughts on this stuff or currently have pets named after real life pets?
Palladiamorsdeus
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Scarlet Monastary, Sentinels

Re: Real to Virtual: A good idea?

Unread post by Palladiamorsdeus »

I named my spirit beast after my dearly departed cat, Chaos. Course it was well over a year later, and more of an 'in honor' of type thing. If it bothers you then get a certificate of ownership and rename them.

Thanks go to Saturo for the signature.
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Last edited by Teigan on Fri May 25, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenSea
Realm: Lightninghoof

Unread post by GreenSea »

Thank you. He definitely was. And maybe in a few more months or longer I'll be able to do it. who knows