Developer Chat on Twitter - Friday, July 16

Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Developer Chat on Twitter - Friday, July 16

Unread post by Mania »

I just happened to catch this post about the next Twitter developer chat over on the WoW forums:
We will be holding our next developer chat on Twitter on Friday, July 16, at 5:00 p.m. PDT with World of Warcraft's systems design team. This chat session will focus on the recently-announced talent specialization and Mastery system changes coming in Cataclysm: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 0449&sid=1

We'll be taking questions live through Twitter, so be sure to sign up for a Twitter account at https://twitter.com/signup and follow @Warcraft to participate.

To submit a question for the developer chat, please tweet using the #BlizzChat hashtag between 5:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. PDT on July 16. Due to Twitter's character limitations, all answers will be posted in a dedicated thread on the World of Warcraft forums.
It's quite fun to participate, even if your question doesn't get answered ... but we'll have a hunter-centric round-up here after the chat, of course.
Dweezill
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Sargeras

Re: Developer Chat on Twitter - Friday, July 16

Unread post by Dweezill »

This is gonna sound.. funny...and it is gonna show my age.... but how the hell do i Twitter? lol Is it on computer? Is it on my cell phone? I have heard about it, but never actually took the time to figure out what it is.. lol

Oh yeah, FIRST!
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

www.twitter.com

You register an account and then simply post your question to Blizz board.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Dweezill
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Sargeras

Unread post by Dweezill »

Tyvm Saturo. Ima have to look into this.
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Last edited by Teigan on Wed May 23, 2012 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jolyroger
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Draenor, Atiesh (Classic)

Unread post by Jolyroger »

I finally broke down and created a Twitter account today, just to participate in the Dev chat.
Jolyroger: Worgen Hunter (Draenor)
Dirus: Night Elf Hunter (Atiesh/Classic)
Shaylis: Night Elf Hunter (Atiesh/Classic)
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Good idea! And you can ignore it the rest of the time if you want. (Goodness knows I do. I can't keep up with blogs and forums and Twitter all at once.)
Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

Dear Blizzard: where is my Beta invite...LOL
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Well, I sort of forgot about the chat this evening, but so far I don't seem to have missed much. You can see all of the answered questions on this thread on the WoW forums: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... =1&sid=1#0

So far I've only seen a few questions that are interesting to me:
Q. With the 31-point tree, many talents still cost two or three points. Is this going to be changed, as it basically increases their cost?
A. For the most part, yes. There are some overpowered talents that don’t need the boost, but many of the others will have their effects increased.
Q. How do the mastery bonuses work now that they don't show up on the talent interface anymore?
A. The mastery bonuses will be trainable passive bonuses somewhere around level 75. Each talent specialization will have a different Mastery available on the trainer with a base potency with 0 Mastery Rating. The character sheet interface will have additional information on the additional potency gained from Mastery Rating.
Q: Are there any plans to add Ghostcrawler in-game as a critter or elite crab?
A. Ghostcrawler would be very emo were he to gaze down from his Throne of Lies and behold the mass crustacean slaughter that would result in having more manifestations of his persona in the game.
Palladiamorsdeus
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Scarlet Monastary, Sentinels

Unread post by Palladiamorsdeus »

The base potency is good at least. I was expecting it to start out at zero, and require mastery from the get go.

Thanks go to Saturo for the signature.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

They intend to make Lightwell important. :/

"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Q. Will the ability to run while shooting effect PvP or PvE battles more? What was the initial intention of the new ability?
A. With how encounters are today, damage-dealing while on the move is increasingly becoming important. You’ll see in a lot of classes we specifically are giving new ways for players to still do damage while on the move. That said, your damage while standing still casting or on a target in melee range should always be optimal.
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Q. What is the design choice behind the focus recharge in Aspect of Fox, is it meant to replace Viper?
A. Aspect of the Fox is intended to be used for mobile damage or kiting. There is still some tuning to be done on Focus and this aspect, but that is the design goal.
Q. Can we expect more fun talents and maybe even shiny new abilities in further iterations of the new talent trees?
A. Yes, the current beta trees are still very much works in progress. As paladins in particular will see shortly, that ongoing work certainly can include fun talents and shiny new abilities.
Q: Will there be a "hard cap" for Mastery rating (to avoid having 101% chance of getting a critical block, for example)?
A, In the course of finalizing all of the Masteries for the various talent specializations, we will make sure that, in the expected gear a player can acquire from the final Cataclysm raid tiers, the player will not crash into a "hard cap" unless they go out of their way to stack Mastery more than is reasonable. This may require redesigning some of the Masteries as the rest of the class designs are finalized.
Q: How will pets scale with Mastery their masters' Mastery?
A. The talent specializations that rely heavily on pets (Beast Mastery and Demonology, for example) have a Mastery that makes Mastery rating also increase pet damage. Other specializations that have pets, but whose pets do not benefit from Mastery, will have their Masteries balanced accordingly, taking into account that pets will not benefit from them.
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Q. Will Hunters be able to pet-tank through cata (even if just beast masters)?
A. What, you didn’t see that video where some guy tanked Marowgar with his Gorilla?
Q: Are we going to be able to view the Mastery talent previews for Cataclysm soon as we can currently?
A. With the talent tree redesign, all the Masteries need to be re-implemented, and, in some cases, redesigned. This will require at least a couple of weeks before they will be available on beta.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Paladins are getting Holy Power! Sounds interesting. They will also be more proc-based in their "rotations".

Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Q. How are you trying to separate the play styles of the hunter specializations? What makes Cobra Shot feel different from Steady Shot?
A. Cobra Shot is ideal for Beast Mastery and Survival hunters because they don’t really have any other way of keeping Serpent Sting up (Cobra Shot extends Serpent Sting’s duration), and also for Survival because it is “Elemental” damage. It's also useful in PvP or in some other niche situations, say, when a creature is immune to physical damage. Now you have a solution.
Palladiamorsdeus
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Scarlet Monastary, Sentinels

Unread post by Palladiamorsdeus »

So much for Cobra being BM only....

Thanks go to Saturo for the signature.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

That was doubtful all along, especially after they announced that SV would have elemental damage increasing masteries.

Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

Q. Concerning Marksmanship hunters, why is the PvP talent Resistance is Futile a prerequisite for PvE talent Marked for Death?
A. In an upcoming build it won’t be a prerequisite, and we want to change it to proc a free Kill Command instead of an instant critical.
Q: Can you provide some clarity on the 3rd Mastery that is affected item stats?
A. We recognized the earlier implementation of Mastery in the beta was confusing. Mastery is no longer directly associated with a talent tree, but is instead a passive effect learned from a trainer at a later level. That passive effect will now grant the third Mastery bonus you formerly saw in the talent tree pane. The passive effect will have a base value, and then Mastery rating will increase that effect further. The other two Mastery bonuses previously listed at the top of the talent tree pane have been removed, but, in some cases, have been reimplemented as passive specialization bonuses. Currently, in the beta, you cannot see any of the Masteries, as they need to be reimplemented after the talent tree redesign.
Q. Will we see these talent changes in Wrath of the Lich King, before the release of Cataclysm, like we did with the last expansion?
A. Yes.
Q: Is your goal to not have players have a separate talent specialization solely for PvP? If so, please elaborate on how you plan to accomplish that?
A. We are removing many of the PvP talents, as well as trying to make some of the PvP talents a little more useful for PvE (for example, a talent that currently procs on taking critical damage could instead proc on taking any damage, including AoE damage, as well). While we recognize that very competitive players might still want unique talent builds for PvP vs. PvE, the hope is that more players might be able to use the same specialization more often for multiple aspects of the game.
Q: With the new 31-point tree system, how will players use dual-specialization? Do we get to choose a new tree when we first use our secondary specialization (off-spec)?
A. You can use dual-specialization for a different specialization in beta, if you choose, much as you can today. We are going to lower the level at which you can use dual-specialization, as well as the cost for purchasing it, because we recognize that using Dungeon Finder while leveling is likely to be popular.
Yes, this is a completely random assortment of questions and answers. Why do you ask?
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

And that's it! Again, if you want to read all the questions and answers from this dev chat, hit the WoW forums: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 4331&sid=1