Cataclysm Talent System - Completely Changed

Vespias
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Llane

Re: Cataclysm Talent System - Completely Changed

Unread post by Vespias »

My thinking is this...since the end of year one blizz has done nothing but dumb the game down. They've removed pretty much every challenge they had. Remember how you walked everywhere till level 40 in Vanilla? And how great it felt to finally get that mount? Remember how everybody went into an instance with a specific job to do? How we had to learn the art of kiting, and mages had to learn where to set their CC?
I for one miss that. It disgusts me to run through an instance in less than 5 minutes. I remember having to set 2-3 days aside to complete dungeons. With every little (and major) thing Blizz does to bring back some challenge to game play, I just get happier and happier. I applaud every change Blizz makes and I look forward to the challenges to come because for me that translates to FUN!

Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

Vespias wrote:My thinking is this...since the end of year one blizz has done nothing but dumb the game down. They've removed pretty much every challenge they had. Remember how you walked everywhere till level 40 in Vanilla? And how great it felt to finally get that mount? Remember how everybody went into an instance with a specific job to do? How we had to learn the art of kiting, and mages had to learn where to set their CC?
I for one miss that. It disgusts me to run through an instance in less than 5 minutes. I remember having to set 2-3 days aside to complete dungeons. With every little (and major) thing Blizz does to bring back some challenge to game play, I just get happier and happier. I applaud every change Blizz makes and I look forward to the challenges to come because for me that translates to FUN!
I'm sorry but spending 2-3 days in one dungeon, for a PUG would be horrible. I don't have that time on my hand. I don't have a large guild. I don't want to spend that time miserably trodding through a dungeon. You want a perfect example of this? BRD, Mara and ST. Horribly designed dungeons. Horribly long, and you have to trod thru a maze to get anywhere.

I don't enjoy that. I don't find it fun.

Also, I leveled several toons back when you had to walk till 40.

It was fucking horrible. There was nothing satisfying for long, about getting a ground mount. Even while it did make me strive to get my paladin to 40 and beyond, outside that it always caused me to dislike rolling alts or spending much time on them, unless they had inherent speed boosts. Which lead to me perfering the hunter class, for a time, over all others.

I like having mounts at 20 and I like being able to speed through some dungeons. Sure I don't mind a challenge but I expect it at 60+. Before that, I love 5 minute dungeons.

You mean they'd have to be CREATIVE?! Pallies won't just continue to be a faceroll class with ridiculously simple rotations?!?!

Don't get me wrong, Blizzard's been creative with other classes, but paladins overall have so few things to hit....I really hope you're right.
If it's for Ret, fine whatever, I never got Ret's rotation really since past 55+ I leveled as Prot.

But if you mean for Tanking? I'm not able to handle complications that much, I'm a simple person, with a simple mind. I struggle to pull off proper rotations on anything that's not my hunters [or a healer atm but that will probably change].

I do like tanking- when I get good groups but I like having so few buttons to press sometimes :/

Tho tbh I wanna know why Ardent Defender became an ACTIVE talent instead of Passive.
Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

Ryai wrote:Tho tbh I wanna know why Ardent Defender became an ACTIVE talent instead of Passive.
Yeah seriously wtf is up with that? People will just macro it into all their action buttons to make sure it goes up when they're under 35% health, so why even bother making it active at all in the first place?
ImageImage
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Shinryu Masaki wrote:
Ryai wrote:Tho tbh I wanna know why Ardent Defender became an ACTIVE talent instead of Passive.
Yeah seriously wtf is up with that? People will just macro it into all their action buttons to make sure it goes up when they're under 35% health, so why even bother making it active at all in the first place?
So pally tanks have something else to actually DO while tanking, no doubt.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

blizzard has dumbed down a lot of stuff that's for sure, sparkling herbs, sparkling world/quest/objectives/loot/items, quest markers on the minimap, quests that literally tell you the exact pinpoint location of their objectives,

i sorta do agree with the idea of getting mounts at a lower level, though i thought lvl 30 was fair enough for that back when it first came in.

some of the changes over the years have been great i have to say, but yes some have made things rediculously simple.
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Kalliope

Kayb wrote:blizzard has dumbed down a lot of stuff that's for sure, sparkling herbs, sparkling world/quest/objectives/loot/items, quest markers on the minimap, quests that literally tell you the exact pinpoint location of their objectives,

i sorta do agree with the idea of getting mounts at a lower level, though i thought lvl 30 was fair enough for that back when it first came in.

some of the changes over the years have been great i have to say, but yes some have made things rediculously simple.
Tons of people used QuestHelper, though. Blizzard changing how quests appear in game is them catering to the playerbase rather than them coming up with it on their own.

YouTube Edition

FuzzyDolly
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Velen, Nessingwary

Unread post by FuzzyDolly »

I like the sparkly herbs and the mounts at lower levels. Hoenstly it sppeds the game along at lower levels. We used to waste so much time and money walking around Azeroth trying to look for quests, herbs, ore,etc that it would monopolize alot of time. I know I'd rather my $15 a month go to actualy questing than walking aorund. And while we're on the subject... think of how much time we waste on taxis. None take a direct flight. I assume this is because Azeroth wasn't meant to be seen from above. I wonder if now that we'll be able to fly, if blizz will make all flights direct. It be nice if they did that for outland and Northrend as well. Just one of my pet peeves. Either that, or I think blizz should let us use our own mounts as taxis and let them fly at a increased spped between fps. Kind of like a tailwind. They could also charge us less for the flights then. I'm thinking an autopilot feature so we can still go for coffe and a bio when in flight.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

direct line taxi flights would be extremely good indeed
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

I miss Captain Placeholder... :'(

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Kalliope

Saturo wrote:I miss Captain Placeholder... :'(
!

Okay, so I didn't know about him before, so I went looking...

He is apparently back for Cata! :D

....is that new artwork for him? O_O

YouTube Edition

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Why is he Horde only!? WHY!?

"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Kalliope

He's Horde-aligned, but I don't think he's doing anything more than dancing around. So he's visitable and presumably unattackable!

(I have NO IDEA why he'd be Horde-aligned, though; he used to watch over an ALLIANCE boat... And WHERE is Captain Noteo?)

YouTube Edition

Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

The Lament of Captain Placeholder.

He's near and dear to the hearts of Alliance that remember him... it seems. ;)

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

It's an insult to us old timers that he's a hordie now.

Silvarain
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary Horde, Azjol-Nerub Alliance
Location: lost in a dark isolated forest, waiting to be found...

Unread post by Silvarain »

im not sure how relevant this link is but it does give some idea for those of us who like to see things:

http://www.wowtal.com/#k=.9sm.hunter
(sorry if it was already put up somewhere else in the forums)

i have no problem with shorter trees, my problem is having little/no choices. it seems like blizz is given more choices is some areas but then taken them away in others:

i feel that there should be more looks to choose from when making our toons: more hair, faces, body types, colors (at least more colors!) "you can choose whatever race you like,... but youll still look like EVERYONE else."

i feel that every race should be able to be any class (it even fits in to all the information trading going on in lore) or that every race can only be a handful of classes (if a forsaken can bend the shadow to manipulate the light, why cant a gnome build a watch that can give them pally abilities?).

i feel that a player should be able to build her/his class the way s/he wants instead of "here are three trees to choose from but you can only pick one and you cant really get anything from the others even if they look good to you."

i feel that all trees should be equally viable for the role/s they play: healz, tank, dps, de/buff. (for the BM raiders) "you can be any tree you want but if want the high end-game stuff heres dual-spec'ing so you can go from a dps role to a... better dps role."

i feel that PVE and PVP should be separated on all levels not just a few. we have pvp zones and servers already why not pvp trees? *two same-class players crash into each other* "hey! you got pvp skills in my pve tree!" "no, you got pve skills in my pvp tree!"

i DONT feel the need for having trainers around. why cant i just level and get my new what-have-you? yes, in the real world one has to; but in wow theres a swirling pool of magic the the middle of the ocean. no, trainers are not that much gold but that STILL is gold we could be putting in other places like gems or that shiny new bow ^_^ *what could happen* "whered that attack come from?!" "i just leveled" "you saved us a wipe with that attack! i love you!"

sorry for the rant...

im not sure i understand how the mastery system will work but as for now we have to wait until a high level until we can buy it from a trainer then go out and hunt for items that have it on them? it seems we get some when we choose a tree but they cannot be increased until a later level where we have to buy the increases? i didnt like having all my passives being taken away and im glad theyre still around somehow but i dont like the idea of having to wait tens of levels to boost my passives. i can let it slide that we seem to be only getting 3 passive per tree so far but i will miss all the others i had as both a BM and SV. lol yes i would be just fine with my pet and maybe 2 active abilities, i am a passive whore and it would suit my adventuring just fine. yes, i know that could could still change (as, well, everything could) but can anyone help me understand mastery as blizz says it now? nowhere ive look seems to make it clear to me. thanks
Ron: "Up next, is the world ending? But first weather with Ororo. Ororo?"
Ororo: "It's raining frogs, it's raining frogs. What can i say? Back to you."
Ron: "Thanks Ororo."

Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Kayb wrote:blizzard has dumbed down a lot of stuff that's for sure, sparkling herbs, sparkling world/quest/objectives/loot/items, quest markers on the minimap, quests that literally tell you the exact pinpoint location of their objectives,

I have no problem with quests themselves being challenging or even hard - skybreaker and degrader come to mind, and I don't mind putting in extra time to try and beat that challenge... even if it's too hard for me and I finally give up, that's okay too - but I do mind putting in extra time just trying to find the dang NPC due to bad directions, so on the whole I'd rather have the sparklies, !s and ?s - esp since at this point I'm doing everything for like the 3rd, 4th+ time on my various alts...
Lohuran
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Sentinels (RP)

Unread post by Lohuran »

I beg to differ. I hardly call any of those changes "dumbing down". Quests have always told people where to go and what to do. Sparkles on objective items hardly make the game easier. Sure, you might spot the item sooner than you would have before, but you were still just right clicking an item and picking it up.

I could go on for hours addressing all the changes Blizzard has made to this game that people call "dumbing down", but unless they start giving you full epic sets at level one and make it so it is virtually impossible to die at any point in the game ever, people should find better things to complain about.
Sorcha Ravenlock
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Darkmoon Faire

Unread post by Sorcha Ravenlock »

I've been playing on and off since vanilla, and I find a lot of these changes for the better. the sparkling items, the earlier mounts and so on. I love playing, questing and exploring. I read all the quests and tend to finish quest chains if I can, even if I outlevel them. (I recently finally finished the Darrowshire one with Pamala as a level 72, because I couldn't do it alone at 60).
But I don't want to spend hours looking for quest items, or running back and forth because the quest giver on the other side of the map keeps sending me back to the same area. It's busywork, and not fun to me.

After having played a lot of my main MMO, Lords of the Rings Online, I have to say I wish Blizzard would implement something similar to their fast travel system: shorter journeys are real time. The longer journeys have an instant travel options once you reach the right level (level depending on area), and there are fast travel options between the main starter areas right away.

Ellaran
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by Ellaran »

Honestly, most of it is personal preference and personal desire. If Blizzard had a way to do it, I'm sure they'd make WoW so that everyone experiences it the way they individually want to experience. But since that's an impossibility, they have to tread the fine line between what Blizzard wants and what the players want. And yes, the players are always going to complain that Blizzard doesn't cater to their every whim and desire, and they shouldn't. It's their game, their property and their time, money and effort going into making it for us to play. Instead of demaning more, we should be on our knees and thanking them, for Blizzard could easily say "Sorry, but we're pulling the plug on WoW and everything else we've been working on. We tried our best, but the general consensus is that the players and fans don't appreciate what we do beyond 'DO IT HOW WE WANT IT TO BE DONE!!'. We deeply apologize for any inconvenience."

You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time. And there's just no pleasing some people at all.