Exotics need a better tenacity member!

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
swimgremlin
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Stormreaver

Exotics need a better tenacity member!

Unread post by swimgremlin »

Ferocity has spirit beasts, devilsaurs, and core hounds. Each of these do great dps, generally above that of non exotics.

Cunning get chimeras and silithids, each who have a previously used abilities with the poison bonus. Great for pvp.

Unfortunately, tenacity exotics don't have much to brag about. Tenacity, are the staple leveling pets, and neither the worm nor the rhino can help quest as well as the non exotics. Bears and crocolisks can hold aggro better and on multiple mobs, and the turtle is the ultimate soloing pet able to solo 5man quest mobs with ease.

My hope is that with Cataclysm coming that they add a tenacity exotic who has the ability to take hits like a turtle, and hold aggro like a crocolisk. Maybe a spiked shell talent or something along those lines. Hey, why not have a pet that can buff itself similar to warlock pets in addition to it's shell defense.

Just an idea... I ended up using a turtle to solo all Icecrown 5man quests except basic chemistry, but I almost felt like my beast mastery talent went to waste. Maybe turtles are just that uber! :P
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Re: Exotics need a better tenacity member!

Unread post by Ryno »

The rhino used to have a nice ability. But apparently Blizz changed it, I'm not entirely sure why. It was nice having a knock back.

Worms, on the other hand, have the best ability of any tenacity pet for hunters who like to solo elites, or kill them not so much in groups. What makes elites so tough most of the time is amount of armor and health (for a hunter at least) and a worm can take off 20% of that armor.

swimgremlin
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

I do miss the massive knock back and the ability to affect multiple targets rhinos had.

While I do agree that the armor reduction is nice, a lot of elites hit very hard. I tried leveling a bit with a worm, but he couldn't handle long winded fights.

Switching to a turtle made more then half f those elites a cakewalk. But that's from my experience. And as you also mentioneed, not so much on multiple mobs.
Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.

Unread post by Aleu »

I used to have a Rhino in which I played 'Bowling for Alliance' in WG a lot. I abandoned him when they changed their ability. I wasn't worth it anymore. =(

Worms still have a nice ability... for soloing at least. Not sure how well they do at tanking.

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}

swimgremlin
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Aleu wrote:I used to have a Rhino in which I played 'Bowling for Alliance' in WG a lot. I abandoned him when they changed their ability. I wasn't worth it anymore. =(

Worms still have a nice ability... for soloing at least. Not sure how well they do at tanking.

Yes! I totally agree. Nothing quite broke up the AV turtle at the bridge before the Alliance base like sending my old rhino to knock a few down into the ravine.
Carnacki
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Dragonblight US

Unread post by Carnacki »

With no other source of armor pen and heavy melee, a bm hunter with a worm works for raids. A band-aid fix, but still useful. I myself prefer the worm for soloing, and I've tanked most heroics with it at 80.
Kroxis
Realm: Daggerspine -US

Unread post by Kroxis »

My tenacity is a worm, and I've never had much of a problem on longer fights solo, like that dragon 5man quest in dragonblight, I soloed it with my worm at level.
swimgremlin
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

I suppose what I'd be looking for is a exotic tenacity pet that could be more versatile for questing. One that could hold aggro on a large group, and take a beating from an elite.

While questing, one of my favorite tactics is to use my pet to round up 6-10 mobs then to AoE them to death, but even with the help of misdirection, I often pull several mobs to me.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Well, if what you want is a new turtle, they'll be adding somethig that looks like a turtle in Cataclysm, called a Volcanoth. It looks spiky, it's lore (according to wowwiki and the name) is hot places, and they're turtles. If they're tameable I think we can expect something like the damage reduction of a turtle, with the "biteback" of a crocolisk (perhaps "Spiky Shell").

http://www.wowwiki.com/Volcanoth

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

saturo wrote:Well, if what you want is a new turtle, they'll be adding somethig that looks like a turtle in Cataclysm, called a Volcanoth. It looks spiky, it's lore (according to wowwiki and the name) is hot places, and they're turtles. If they're tameable I think we can expect something like the damage reduction of a turtle, with the "biteback" of a crocolisk (perhaps "Spiky Shell").

http://www.wowwiki.com/Volcanoth
Should get a "Lava Armor" ability in my opinion. It could act like a thorns buff, except it produces a large amount of aggro.

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Ryno wrote:Should get a "Lava Armor" ability in my opinion. It could act like a thorns buff, except it produces a large amount of aggro.
Better idea then mine ;) The one in the art on wowwiki seems to smolder a bit, so lava armor=viable.

The problem, as I see it, is that they come from the firelands, which is in the Elemental Plane, whose very name indicates that it's inhabitants are elementals. It might be classified as an Elemental in game... :shuddersinhorror:

"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

saturo wrote:
Ryno wrote:Should get a "Lava Armor" ability in my opinion. It could act like a thorns buff, except it produces a large amount of aggro.
Better idea then mine ;) The one in the art on wowwiki seems to smolder a bit, so lava armor=viable.

The problem, as I see it, is that they come from the firelands, which is in the Elemental Plane, whose very name indicates that it's inhabitants are elementals. It might be classified as an Elemental in game... :shuddersinhorror:
Meh, Blizz will probably give them to us as pets. Look at the scourge hound model in Zul'drak. And core hounds, those don't look like normal beasts.

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Yeah, hopefully. But still...

On a different basis, there aren't any flying tenacity pets yet. Perhaps giving is the ability to tame Silithid Wasps, or "Reavers" as I've always called them (from a mob name in tanaris). They're armored, and they would be a good replacement for the mostly useless Rhinos :expectsgreatflamingtocommence: . Anyone else liking the idea of tenacious silithid wasps?

swimgremlin
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Those lava turtles would be perfect! It'd be cool for it to refresh it's lava layer buff that would act similar to thorns. Shell shield could be the second ability for tight situations.

I am rather surprised the silithid wasps aren't classified with other wasps. Some of them aren't categorized at all and can't be tracked.
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

saturo wrote:Yeah, hopefully. But still...

On a different basis, there aren't any flying tenacity pets yet. Perhaps giving is the ability to tame Silithid Wasps, or "Reavers" as I've always called them (from a mob name in tanaris). They're armored, and they would be a good replacement for the mostly useless Rhinos :expectsgreatflamingtocommence: . Anyone else liking the idea of tenacious silithid wasps?
A flying tenacity pet would be nice.

Blizz should just give the rhino their knockback back. I mean, a bleed buff? On a tenacity pet? Makes you wonder how they figured that would actually help a raid. "Ok guys, we're wiping on this boss. You know why? WE NEED A BLEED BUFF! SACRIFICE ALL HUNTER DPS FOR A TENACITY EXOTIC PET TO GET IT!!!"

swimgremlin
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Ryno wrote:
Blizz should just give the rhino their knockback back. I mean, a bleed buff? On a tenacity pet? Makes you wonder how they figured that would actually help a raid. "Ok guys, we're wiping on this boss. You know why? WE NEED A BLEED BUFF! SACRIFICE ALL HUNTER DPS FOR A TENACITY EXOTIC PET TO GET IT!!!"
Agreed. I mean moonkins and elemental shamans can pushback 15 yards, so how was the original stampede overpowered?

Granted though, the original size was a bit obnoxious. :p
swimgremlin
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

A friend of mine mentioned a good idea about the lava turtle. He suggested that it's lava ability leave an AoE on the ground arround him like consecration in addition to his shell shield. I found that interesting and worth sharing. :)
bloodysam
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Scryers!

Unread post by bloodysam »

i think they should revise the Spirit beast talent tree to make it pve and PvP so plp can get more use out of them not saying the looks are not enough just saying it would offer more to BM

Born a lonewolf...choosen to be with pets!
Thanks for the awwsome signature Pooksie!!
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

swimgremlin wrote:A friend of mine mentioned a good idea about the lava turtle. He suggested that it's lava ability leave an AoE on the ground arround him like consecration in addition to his shell shield. I found that interesting and worth sharing. :)
That would be nice. Sounds overpowered though.

Just having it as an AoE consecrate that get's high threat sounds good though. Hopefully Blizz'll show their smarter-than-pre-WotLK-smarts and give a good exotic for each tree, hehe.