Anyone else disappointed by the new 4.2 rares?

Read-only since Patch 4.2 is now live.
Gelannerai
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Baelgun

Re: Anyone else disappointed by the new 4.2 rares?

Unread post by Gelannerai »

First, I'll say that I like the idea behind the challenging tames, and am actually hoping to see a lot more of this sort of thing (perhaps all rares going forward?) once the process/ideas are refined. After all, this is a first pass at this specific sort of thing, so it'll only get better with time. I also very much appreciate the Owl Spirit Beast.

The thing I'm not all that keen on are the two Gondrias. I know many don't feel this way and are happy about their inclusion, and I'm glad someone is pleased, I'm just not in that group. I think the main reason why I have an issue with them is that I feel it cheapens the original Gondria, and ultimately Spirit Beasts in general. Before this patch, Spirit Beasts were all unique to themselves. No other SB looked like Loque, Gondria, Skoll, etc. Yes, Gondria, Skoll, Arcturis, GC, and Karoma are all essentially re-skins of existing creatures, but specifically among SB's they were unique, and I felt that gave them a lot of character. The RP'er in me liked to assign them the classification of demi-gods that could carry on conversations with you and each represented some different element or abstract idea. Loque was life, Gondria was ice, Skoll lightning, Arcturis power, GC water, and Karoma death. Now with two more SB's looking exactly like Gondria albeit a different palette, I feel that a lot of that uniqueness is lost.

As a SB collector, I'm sure I'll tame each in time, but I probably won't go out of my way all that much to do so.

As for the spiders, I'm glad for SV and MM Hunters, as they'll have a nice selection of rare beasties to PVP with, but I probably won't attempt to tame and keep any of them.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Cblaze12 wrote:
Aeladrine wrote:^ The majority of people don't PvP competitively.
I corrected that, I'd be happy to count them all and see who wins the vote, but I think a poll would be easier and have less animosity.
I think there was one a while back so it's already been done.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Frostwolf, Blackwater Raiders

Unread post by Aeladrine »

Cblaze12 wrote: I corrected that, I'd be happy to count them all and see who wins the vote, but I think a poll would be easier and have less animosity.
That wasn't something I was just throwing out. According to this article only 20-25% of WoW players do arena PvP at all, and only 1% of that 25% has a rating above 2000. Considering that most PvPers that I have talked to believe you must have a rating of at least 2200+ to be considered competitive, you can see how "competitive PvPers" are a vast minority.

Beyond that, it is incredibly hard to balance both PvP and PvE. Blizz went for balancing PvE, which far more players see more often, first. This does not mean that they will not eventually find a way to balance PvP without screwing up PvE, but at this point it simply is not possible. Instead, they're giving us what is possible. New pets! Hunters are already doing incredibly well in PvE and these beauties are great!

And, for people like you who PvP, they should symbolize the promise that everything will be fixed eventually.
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.
Tumblr || Deviantart || WoW RP Blog

Cblaze12
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Cblaze12 »

Instead of quoting both responses, I'll say this.

Yes I myself am unhappy, and so are alot of other hunters. This expansion brought alot of new things for multiple classes that proved pretty cool. We got nothing in the line of viablity. 4.1 brung some new talents/abilities for other classes, hunters got zilch. When 4.2 was announcing and the whole 8 new rare thing, alot of us were expecting to get something to make up for literally nothing so far. Sure the concept is great, and im sure many will go out and enjoy taming them, I personally won't. Coming from a hunter thats camped and tamed every rare so far. WoW has come a long way since vanilla, and sure I digg the new groundwork going out for this new taming, I'm just no impressed with what came with it. Don't microwave me last nights leftovers and hype it up. A model from vanilla, and another from wrath of the lich king is hardly befitting, technically they're "new" as they aren't in game yet. They can take back the 5 new pet species we got in cata, who cares they're nothing more then leveling and questing companions, if that what it would take to make every other pet on an even footing. Or address some of the real class issues. Thats all I'm trying to communicate and the reason I personally am dissapointing with 4.2. Even just getting say hydras this entire expansion till now, would have made us all happy and overlook the real class and pet issues. Instead of getting any issues tweaked or designed this patch, we just got the leftovers which is nothing more then insult to injury. I'm not looking to be hostile or start a snipe war. I'm just stating my reasons for being upset. This class has plenty of issues that sorely needs addressing and its getting none of that, I'm sure many of us would have been happy with 1 single shiny new model to show off with wherever we are and take our minds off the other things, I wouldn't mind a 1 week rare spawn at that if it ment something on the level of loque'nahak. Anyway thats just my 2 cents, happy hunting to everyone
Derax
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Area 52 - US

Unread post by Derax »

The only way I will be disappointed in the rares is if they need to be camped and only respawn every 8+ hours. I am sorry but a recolor is not worth my time and frustration of camping them. They have some wicked skins in the new firelands area and was hoping they maybe the tamable rares but it wasn't..

The skins I would of used for some of the tamable rares:

1. Spirit Beast Bird
2. Scorpion
3. Dog/Wolf
4. Worm
5. Spider
6. Druid of the Flame Cat form (No armor fire cat).
7. Not sure
8. Not sure

Deraxacus - Area 52 (US) (Horde)

Cblaze12
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Derax wrote:The only way I will be disappointed in the rares is if they need to be camped and only respawn every 8+ hours. I am sorry but a recolor is not worth my time and frustration of camping them. They have some wicked skins in the new firelands area and was hoping they maybe the tamable rares but it wasn't..

The skins I would of used for some of the tamable rares:

1. Spirit Beast Bird
2. Scorpion
3. Dog/Wolf
4. Worm
5. Spider
6. Druid of the Flame Cat form (No armor fire cat).
7. Not sure
8. Not sure
Personally when they first said 8 new rares, I was sort of expecting pets with these models, not all, but for sure some
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Cblaze12 wrote:Instead of quoting both responses, I'll say this.

Yes I myself am unhappy, and so are alot of other hunters. This expansion brought alot of new things for multiple classes that proved pretty cool. We got nothing in the line of viablity. 4.1 brung some new talents/abilities for other classes, hunters got zilch. When 4.2 was announcing and the whole 8 new rare thing, alot of us were expecting to get something to make up for literally nothing so far. Sure the concept is great, and im sure many will go out and enjoy taming them, I personally won't. Coming from a hunter thats camped and tamed every rare so far. WoW has come a long way since vanilla, and sure I digg the new groundwork going out for this new taming, I'm just no impressed with what came with it. Don't microwave me last nights leftovers and hype it up. A model from vanilla, and another from wrath of the lich king is hardly befitting, technically they're "new" as they aren't in game yet. They can take back the 5 new pet species we got in cata, who cares they're nothing more then leveling and questing companions, if that what it would take to make every other pet on an even footing. Or address some of the real class issues. Thats all I'm trying to communicate and the reason I personally am dissapointing with 4.2. Even just getting say hydras this entire expansion till now, would have made us all happy and overlook the real class and pet issues. Instead of getting any issues tweaked or designed this patch, we just got the leftovers which is nothing more then insult to injury. I'm not looking to be hostile or start a snipe war. I'm just stating my reasons for being upset. This class has plenty of issues that sorely needs addressing and its getting none of that, I'm sure many of us would have been happy with 1 single shiny new model to show off with wherever we are and take our minds off the other things, I wouldn't mind a 1 week rare spawn at that if it ment something on the level of loque'nahak. Anyway thats just my 2 cents, happy hunting to everyone
We're telling you this isn't the topic to talk about class tweaking. JUST the pets. :)

Also...Multi-shot...you forgot that huge a SUPERMEGA Buff.

LisaaraPokefarm

Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Lightbringer-US Nessingwary-US

Unread post by Zangor »

same....2 of the spiders are already tameable as far as i know and 2 are new so at least the spiders sharing skins can go and replaced with hellhouns.....blue and green hellhounds arent used as far as i know so id love to have them instead
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Just something to keep in mind, Petopia has never been a community where playstyle and theorycrafting are prioritized. ;) There are many other hunter communities where you can go to discuss class mechanics and things of that nature, but this place has always had pets as the focus.
Cblaze12
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Jessibelle wrote:
Cblaze12 wrote:Instead of quoting both responses, I'll say this.

We're telling you this isn't the topic to talk about class tweaking. JUST the pets. :)

Also...Multi-shot...you forgot that huge a SUPERMEGA Buff.
Defo, too bad it isn't on my bars :lol: , didn't they lower the amount they originall buffed it?
I'm just stating that if the class tweaking/fixing isn't happening, I was surely hoping for some super cool amazing looking pets to camp and numb my mind to the issues, like some of the ones just posted on the above list, thats all. Take a look at the firelands beastiary, you weren't hoping/expecting any of them to be among the new rares, and be tameable?
Last edited by Cblaze12 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Cblaze12 wrote:Defo, too bad it isn't on my bars :lol: , didn't they lower the amount they originall buffed it?
I'm just stating that if the class tweaking/fixing isn't happening, I was surely hoping for some super cool amazing looking pets to camp and numb my mind to the issues, like some of the ones just posted on the above list, thats all. Take a look at the firelands beastiary, you weren't hoping/expecting any of them to be among the new rares, and be tameable?
Even if those ones didn't show up now, that doesn't mean they can't in the future. :) This is all a preliminary pass to see how the tames go, we'll have plenty of opportunities to see new tamable models later I'm sure.
Cblaze12
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

PS. For those who were aruging bm vs mm earliar I will say this, the only reason BM is doing so amazing well right now is a huge bug. Take a look at your pets focus bar next time your fighting. Notice how it keeps refreshing back to 100 or 110 if you have kindred spirits? Thats because of your pet getting absurd amounts of large damage in from Wild hunt 2/2 and the focus randomly recapping to full.

We can only hope veph, I'll keep hoping for a spirit devilsaur/hydra/raptor,
Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Zangor »

to be honest i think the 2 spiders with the silithid sounding x names could be changed to the scorpion model and something else. really do hope duplicate skins (yellow/green) get a special skin later on part of the reason blizz might be using spiders is so non BM cannot complain....but if they used hellhounds as dogs it would be the same but alot more people would be happy....hellhounds>lava spiders
rubybeam

Unread post by rubybeam »

I actually like all these new pets <3

lets face it blizzard doesn't need to continouesly make new models to please us. They actually work hard enough as it is, plus hunters have been really spoiled so far, besides theres nothing wrong with more skins
Awesome signature by the awesome pengupuff!
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

The class has been tweaked. We keep telling you this. But it doesn't need a lot of tweaks compared to other classes. We keep telling you Hunters are the most balanced class in the game. PvP isn't a priority for Blizz. You need to look at it from PvE perspective, where the majority of people play. And no, my pets focus bar is working perfectly fine. It doesn't do anything of what you just described.

But again, this isn't the place to discuss the class.

Druids of the flame and Phoenixes? No. They're sentient. Firebirds ARE druids if the flame....sentient. So no, I didn't expect them to be tameable. Firehounds? They look elemental or undead. I expected them to go to warlocks if anything. I expected unused skin to be used and Blizz did just that.

LisaaraPokefarm

Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Zangor »

if we can tame spirits then we sure as heck should be able to tame flaming skeleton dogs......core hounds where elementals before wrath so its not out of the question blizz can work em in....and the spiders with skins not seen before are cool but the green and yellow ones are used already and makes no sense to add ones that are just more challenging when someone can grab the same skin for alot less effort. its al im saying.
Cblaze12
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Jessibelle wrote:The class has been tweaked. We keep telling you this. But it doesn't need a lot of tweaks compared to other classes. We keep telling you Hunters are the most balanced class in the game. PvP isn't a priority for Blizz. You need to look at it from PvE perspective, where the majority of people play. And no, my pets focus bar is working perfectly fine. It doesn't do anything of what you just described.

But again, this isn't the place to discuss the class.

Druids of the flame and Phoenixes? No. They're sentient. Firebirds ARE druids if the flame....sentient. So no, I didn't expect them to be tameable. Firehounds? They look elemental or undead. I expected them to go to warlocks if anything. I expected unused skin to be used and Blizz did just that.
I haven't done PVE since wotlk, so I cant see it from your spective, so the most balanced class opinion doesn't apply =D.

Are you using a ferocity pet? My skoll and krush are doing it now as we speak, if you wanna hop on malganis horde side I'd be happy to show you. My pet isn't the only one doing it other hunters have noticed it too. I don't expect phoenixs, as much as we've all talked about it. The new scorpions of course, Firehounds thats debatable, we have demon dogs and skeletal mummy birds, so it isn't too far off.

Edit: its like the debate of shale spiders vs the rock worms in deepholm, essentially they are the same thing just one isn't tameable. the demon dog series were clearly off limits until they were made tameables, and corehounds were elementals, things change.
Last edited by Cblaze12 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gelannerai
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Baelgun

Unread post by Gelannerai »

Jessibelle wrote:Druids of the flame and Phoenixes? No. They're sentient. Firebirds ARE druids if the flame....sentient. So no, I didn't expect them to be tameable. Firehounds? They look elemental or undead. I expected them to go to warlocks if anything. I expected unused skin to be used and Blizz did just that.

To be fair, Raptors are supposed to have some semblance of sentience, as are DK ghouls. Plus, the plaguehounds also look demonic/undead (as do several bears, birds, wolves, etc.), but they made it into our stables nonetheless. Anything could happen there. ;)
Tilo
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Stormrage, Cenarius, & Ysera-US

Unread post by Tilo »

I'm not necessarily disapointed, but I had no expectations either :)

They all look neat, will I go after any? I dunno' maybe the red or orange spider, but I think it shares a common version right?
♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪
Signature Kamoodle []
Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Frostwolf, Blackwater Raiders

Unread post by Aeladrine »

Tilo wrote:I'm not necessarily disapointed, but I had no expectations either :)

They all look neat, will I go after any? I dunno' maybe the red or orange spider, but I think it shares a common version right?
I believe the orange one does, yes.

On my part...
EEEEE PURPLE
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.
Tumblr || Deviantart || WoW RP Blog