Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

Read-only since Patch 4.1 is now live.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Re: Patch 4.1/4.2 - Winged Lion Mount?

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I'm amazed at the vitriol being launched at the fact that this is presented as a real-life money purchase on Allakhazam (the only WoW board I go to, other than here). The funniest thing is people who are critical of spending real-life money on a virtual mount... and yet, are fanatical about spending real-life money on the virtual world in which they play. Some of the people MOST critical at Allakhazam seem to be some pretty major power-players of WoW. People will never cease to amaze me.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Pawtrack
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Venture co., Duskwood, Hydraxis, Draka

Unread post by Pawtrack »

IMO blizz should have a mount that you grind on mobs for, rather then a rare spawn/boss drop/rep grind thing. Like the fox kit but a mount. And that firey hippogryph looks sooo pretty... /drool

Death leads to life
Life leads to death

Mindsprocket
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Mindsprocket »

Sukurachi wrote:I'm amazed at the vitriol being launched at the fact that this is presented as a real-life money purchase on Allakhazam (the only WoW board I go to, other than here). The funniest thing is people who are critical of spending real-life money on a virtual mount... and yet, are fanatical about spending real-life money on the virtual world in which they play. Some of the people MOST critical at Allakhazam seem to be some pretty major power-players of WoW. People will never cease to amaze me.
Yeah, it's astounding how many people refuse to realise that they're already spening real money on something that isn't "real". It's the reason why a lot of people refuse to play games that cost monthly fees to begin with. Not to mention that any merchandise is useless by nature, so to speak. I have the Lady Vashj figure because it looks awesome, but while it's *tangible* it certainly isn't *useful*. Even t-shirts and something like that - you think "hey, it's clothes so they're useful" but the truth is that you could get clothes of the same qualitiy for FAR less money if you bought something without someones logo on it. So merchandise = waste of money, always. It's all just for fun.

This mount looks really sweet and I'm certainly considering to buy it. I like the idea of a BOA mount that scales with riding skill. Unfortunately, I find the sparkly pony completely hideous. No offence to people who like it, but everytime I see someone ride by on it I just think "Why, dear God?!?!" XD So I'm happy there's finally a mount like that that I actually like.

Lok'tar ogar!

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

According to the writeup on MMOC today, the 'Winged Guardian' (apparently its official name) does indeed scale with riding skill like the sparkle pony.

Do want.

And yeah... people just whine. No one's forcing them to buy this... if they want it, they can, if it's not worth it to them then, well... don't?

You know, I wonder about all those people with the TCG mounts, for that matter. Having -attempted- to get one the "legit" way (i.e. buying boxes of cards)... I spent rather more cash than I was comfortable with and still never got one. Instead, you can go on eBay and fork over upwards of $800 to some Chinese gold farmer or Korean auction-harpy in order to get one for yourself. AND they're not account bound. AND Blizzard isn't seeing any of that money (or at least a much reduced percentage since they just get royalty fees off the card license).

Wouldn't you rather at least know your cash is going to support the game you love instead of lining the pockets of some commodities trader that doesn't give a damn about you except the part that's green, rectangular, and flat? But do people harass players with the black war bear or the spectral tiger? Nope.

We call this hypocrisy, neh?

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Nope I'd rather get a TCG mount they look cooler imo. I don't think I will buy this. It's a lot of money to me seeing as I have to convert it etc. Now before anyone goes "oh but you pay more for your game card! so this is not hassle!" it still is to me ok I'm a student who can't get the student allowence I don't even have a job so I only buy the things I truely need. I'm not saying I don't want the mount but I don't think I will get it anytime soon.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Nachtwulf wrote:According to the writeup on MMOC today, the 'Winged Guardian' (apparently its official name) does indeed scale with riding skill like the sparkle pony.

Do want.

And yeah... people just whine. No one's forcing them to buy this... if they want it, they can, if it's not worth it to them then, well... don't?

You know, I wonder about all those people with the TCG mounts, for that matter. Having -attempted- to get one the "legit" way (i.e. buying boxes of cards)... I spent rather more cash than I was comfortable with and still never got one. Instead, you can go on eBay and fork over upwards of $800 to some Chinese gold farmer or Korean auction-harpy in order to get one for yourself. AND they're not account bound. AND Blizzard isn't seeing any of that money (or at least a much reduced percentage since they just get royalty fees off the card license).

Wouldn't you rather at least know your cash is going to support the game you love instead of lining the pockets of some commodities trader that doesn't give a damn about you except the part that's green, rectangular, and flat? But do people harass players with the black war bear or the spectral tiger? Nope.

We call this hypocrisy, neh?

I can honestly say, I found the Black War Bear ("The Red Bearon" card) TCG mount in a pack of cards I purchased at wal mart. It's fun. it's awesome to have a mount like that, but honestly? I've poured A LOT of funds into TCG collecting, and that's the only minipet/mount I've ever found; and I've been collecting since the start.

So heck yeah, I will gladly fork over $25 for a mount I know I'll get XD

Also, I have NEVER had harassment over my Bearon mount, but I did get it a couple times with sparkle pony. People just hate for no reason.

Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. So what if players can purchase mounts/minipets from blizzard store. They don't actually enhance your characters or anything. Hell, you still have to train to ride a mount to use them. You still have to earn WoW gold to actually pay for these mounts to run/fly at their highest potential. So if you don't have a little bit of in-game effort, then you cant even utilize these mounts.

I never understood how people ignore that...

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Rikaku wrote:I never understood how people ignore that...
Because it's the first step towards letting people buy gear.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

AdamSavage
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by AdamSavage »

Saturo wrote:
They wouldn't do that, to many people would quit because those who have more money would be better geared and have the advantage over other people.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

AdamSavage wrote:
Saturo wrote:
They wouldn't do that, to many people would quit because those who have more money would be better geared and have the advantage over other people.
They're gonna' do it, trust me. Not any time soon, mind you, but when WoW starts bleeding customers whenever Activision is going to force them to make more money. Rather than making the game more fun they'll just take the cheap way out and let gear and such be purchasable.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

AdamSavage

Unread post by AdamSavage »

If they ever do get to that point I will cancel my sub on the spot. The game would no longer be fun. I can understand for a mount specially if it's account bound because you don't have to own any other mount but that one on your toons as it scales up. It's also something that will last longer then the current tier of gear that gets replaced roughly every 4-5 months.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Saturo wrote:They're gonna' do it, trust me. Not any time soon, mind you, but when WoW starts bleeding customers whenever Activision is going to force them to make more money. Rather than making the game more fun they'll just take the cheap way out and let gear and such be purchasable.
I'm going to just have to agree to disagree. I don't see Blizzard doing this. They're not stupid. They know such a move would not only call for subs to be cancelled, but incredibly bad PR. That would lead to people not wanting anything to do with Blizzard, and would kill their future endeavors. So I think saying "they're gonna do it, trust me", I'm just gonna have to say no I don't trust you on that XD

Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

I cant see them make gear that people will actually raid and such with for the blizz store but i can kinda see extremely well detailed gear no one has seen the likes of before being part of the blizz store-- or even to flip it around, turn their existing real life clothing into digital clothing for characters. They already have chars posing with JINX shirts and whatever on for their advertizements and they wont be losing peoples subscriptions since its just vanity gear.

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Rikaku wrote:
Saturo wrote:They're gonna' do it, trust me. Not any time soon, mind you, but when WoW starts bleeding customers whenever Activision is going to force them to make more money. Rather than making the game more fun they'll just take the cheap way out and let gear and such be purchasable.
I'm going to just have to agree to disagree. I don't see Blizzard doing this. They're not stupid. They know such a move would not only call for subs to be cancelled, but incredibly bad PR. That would lead to people not wanting anything to do with Blizzard, and would kill their future endeavors. So I think saying "they're gonna do it, trust me", I'm just gonna have to say no I don't trust you on that XD

I second the motion.

Blizz have always been quite clear and quite firm about never making anything that gives in-game advantage purchasable with real-life money.

I see no reason to "trust" that they will do differently from their stated long-time position.

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Calomel
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Icecrown

Unread post by Calomel »

I believe that if Blizzard ever DID actually put gear into the Blizzard store, it would be statless vanity gear only worth using in some kind of "appearance tab" or bank alt function. Something purely for looks, providing no benefit whatsoever besides personal customization. Like...a neat "Iconic Warlock" or "Shadowhunter" set that would look good and give your character a bit of matching-gear personality flair (if you care about that kind of thing).

I don't believe Blizzard would ever go the route of selling gear for RL cash to give an in-game advantage.

Tanin - Troll - Beast Master - Icecrown, US
Currently Hunting: ...for the pacifier...

Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Pent - Mt. Hyjal - Alliance

Unread post by Pent »

I am curious considering how many people think Blizzard will some day sell gear if they can name one game that is subscription based (doesn't have a non-demo free version) that lets you buy actual gear with real money.

I am not talking about potions, I am talking about gear that has some kind of stat increase... and I am not counting gear that is mostly for appearance only but has little to no stat increase.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

I need more hunters, IMO.

"A hobby should pass the time, not fill it." --Norman Bates "Psycho"
Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Pent - Mt. Hyjal - Alliance

Unread post by Pent »

Saturo wrote:
AdamSavage wrote: They wouldn't do that, to many people would quit because those who have more money would be better geared and have the advantage over other people.
They're gonna' do it, trust me. Not any time soon, mind you, but when WoW starts bleeding customers whenever Activision is going to force them to make more money. Rather than making the game more fun they'll just take the cheap way out and let gear and such be purchasable.
I really don't think Blizzard OR Activision will cut off one leg in order to save another.

They won't want to alienate subscribers by doing this and if they do decide to do it it will be after most of everyone has already jumped ship to a different MMO... but I doubt it will even happen then because Blizzard is a cash cow and will continue to be one for at least 5 more years if they can get Titan out within two years of Diablo 3.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

I need more hunters, IMO.

"A hobby should pass the time, not fill it." --Norman Bates "Psycho"
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Yup. I'm shallow. I'm sitting here going, "I can't wait for that mount to come out!".
I need a life...

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

LupisDarkmoon wrote:Yup. I'm shallow. I'm sitting here going, "I can't wait for that mount to come out!".
I need a life...
let us sit here, together, and revel in our shallowness :)

'cuz honey, I am SO stoked about this new mount it just ain't funny!

"Step on no pets!"

Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Yea ive kinda decided that the day this mount comes out, im renewing my sub, buying it, then going on a joy ride across Uldum LOL

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Carmindy
Realm: Maiev

Unread post by Carmindy »

My avatar is a winged lion (as not quite evidenced in my cropped board icon). When this post first went up, I followed it with baited breath hoping it would be something obtainable because, as my boyfriend so eloquently put: "IT'S A LION WITH WINGS!!!11 You have to have it!" Yes, so needless to say, I too will be shallow and purchase this mount the moment it flutters into the store.