any news of self selted surnames yet?

Read-only since Patch 4.2 is now live.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

any news of self selted surnames yet?

Unread post by Ana »

One of the things that i miss with Wow is the ability to be able to have a surname that i picked for my self... yes i know flagrps does it.. but for me its not the same as seeing the name besides my charecter :)
Its one of the things i really hope that wow implement in a futher patch, but have there been any blue post regarding the subject?

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Re: any news of self selted surnames yet?

Unread post by Niabi »

Tårnfalk wrote:One of the things that i miss with Wow is the ability to be able to have a surname that i picked for my self... yes i know flagrps does it.. but for me its not the same as seeing the name besides my charecter :)
Its one of the things i really hope that wow implement in a futher patch, but have there been any blue post regarding the subject?
I haven't yet heard if Blizzard would install such a feature. Would be cool though imo. I have last names for a couple of my toons already.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Worba
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Strange as this may sound, I'd support this if it was restricted to RP servers.

Call me a pessimist but on the other servers, easily 9/10 of the people I run across on PVE servers have names that are either goofy, annoying, obscene or just splatters of keystrokes (like asdfa, dfkjkj, etc). It's very rare that you run across someone with a name that would actually be seen in a fantasy novel / movie / etc.
Kurenio
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Ner'zhul

Unread post by Kurenio »

Kurenio darksong tyvm

My Characters
Signatures thanks to the amazing Sookie,Kuraine,
Rongar, Serenith and Me!
"Follow my heart, Follow my head, I'll follow anything to get to her heart."
12 hunters and 10 other classes being leveled.

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Worba wrote:Strange as this may sound, I'd support this if it was restricted to RP servers.

Call me a pessimist but on the other servers, easily 9/10 of the people I run across on PVE servers have names that are either goofy, annoying, obscene or just splatters of keystrokes (like asdfa, dfkjkj, etc). It's very rare that you run across someone with a name that would actually be seen in a fantasy novel / movie / etc.

Well i wouldt mind it being avalible for all... eventhough i play on a rp server i think its should be an option for all. You chould choose to have one or not and choose to see others surname or only your own. I must admit that some of the best char i meet in everquest 1 was ppl with funny names.. aka Vacuum Cleaner. I had a shaman named Chasmir Sweater and a Necro named Caviar Deluxe... i dont mind silly names , and tbh u would see ppl on rp servers make funny names too

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Okay, WITH the option to suppress other players' surnames, that I'd be fine with - that's a good suggestion.

I've met plenty of cool people in wow with silly names, and had a good time grouping with them. But when it comes to surnames... yeah. I'd just as soon have the ability to block it out, same as we get to do with all the other tags.

Yourfridge Isrunning might be the coolest player in the world, but their sense of humor is not going to be what makes me want to hang out with them ifyaknowhatimsayinandithinkyoudo. ;)
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

hehe i know what u mean, and that is why i think there should be an option to block it out... could be under the display funtion

display surnames
¤ your surname
¤ other players surname

and the surname it self should be optional aswell :D i know many pl who likes the name they have without surname.. its just something that i for one would love see implemented

Cerele
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

Unread post by Cerele »

Worba wrote:Strange as this may sound, I'd support this if it was restricted to RP servers.

Cerele... mine was a random slightly modified Ceerel... and reworked it to look like a word.. closest i have to a joking name it my druid kittyer.. only reason i made him was i wanted to be a kitty and kitty was taken so i thought whats more than a regular kitty? kittyer

signature thanks to Kurieno
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Also there are those who rp on non-rp servers. So they should get the option too. :)

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

I would love to not just have to stick to MRP for being able to add even just an intsy wintsy bit of RP into my character cause im finding fewer and fewer ppl with MRP and its sad. I would LOOOOOVE for a surname, i forget Xakaals surname but my druids full name is Ysaeil Moonstrider, and my night elf hunters named Kiae Snowsong (the kiae part is in honor of my night elf priest who i deleted). Her current name in-game tho is Paperflowers which is her nickname so it'd come out as Paperflowers Snowsong.. lol

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Cerele
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

Unread post by Cerele »

maybe... add them in with titles... like you have to do a questline with a group after hitting exalted.

like Cerele Stormrage. after getting exalted with Hyjal group you get a questling where Malfuron accepts you as a clan member...
Cerele Wildheart
Cerele <insert clan name here)

similar to titles but you get to share last names with factions/races... it would have to change for each race as i doubt dwarves would like my night elf to bare their clan name

signature thanks to Kurieno
Gelannerai
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Baelgun

Unread post by Gelannerai »

Yeah, my main's name is supposed to be Gelan Nerai, after a table-top Exalted character I played. The last name Nerai is actually a nod to Panzer Dragoon Saga, in which the female lead Azel said "Nerai" when calling down her rain of death move. Pretty appropriate for a Hunter imo.
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Jessibelle wrote:Also there are those who rp on non-rp servers. So they should get the option too. :)
Okay fine. You can have it. :D
Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

I never fill in the surname box anyway. Veeka took after her Draenei father and never really took up a surname, despite having a full-blooded Orc for a mate. That said, it would be a fantastic idea, although I can't really see it becoming developed for anything in the near future considering the heavy focus on raids right now.

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

gigandetsgirl
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Onyxia, Kalecgos, and Blood Furnace

Unread post by gigandetsgirl »

This is a feature I yearn for; all of my characters have last names. I really wish Blizzard would implement more things focused on character customization and more RP-type things, but as Nubhorns said, the focus is really on raiding right now :(

Thank you so much Litlemouse for my amazing signature! :hug:

<The Dawntreaders>
Constantyne Whitnee
Bastienne, Costin, and Willoe

Lohuran
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Sentinels (RP)

Unread post by Lohuran »

Tårnfalk wrote:

Well i wouldt mind it being avalible for all... eventhough i play on a rp server i think its should be an option for all. You chould choose to have one or not and choose to see others surname or only your own. I must admit that some of the best char i meet in everquest 1 was ppl with funny names.. aka Vacuum Cleaner. I had a shaman named Chasmir Sweater and a Necro named Caviar Deluxe... i dont mind silly names , and tbh u would see ppl on rp servers make funny names too
Aaaaaaaah, yes. My guildmaster tells the most wonderfully fun stories about EverQuest and EverQuest 2. One of his stories was of a player who adjusted his facial features (EverQuest 2, I'm guessing?) so that his character just had the BIGGEST frown you could get. His name was Misterultra Frownyface. Makes me giggle every time.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Cerele wrote:maybe... add them in with titles... like you have to do a questline with a group after hitting exalted.

like Cerele Stormrage. after getting exalted with Hyjal group you get a questling where Malfuron accepts you as a clan member...
Cerele Wildheart
Cerele <insert clan name here)

similar to titles but you get to share last names with factions/races... it would have to change for each race as i doubt dwarves would like my night elf to bare their clan name
I like this.. but i rather choose my self :P This reminds me to much like the titles there is, I would rather have my own choosen surname, but sure add those into titles as well

Litlemouse
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Vashj, Whisperwind

Unread post by Litlemouse »

Yes! This would be very interesting, and I support it ^_^
Hmm Litlemouse Fernstep :)

Kurenio
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Ner'zhul

Unread post by Kurenio »

Kurenia Shadowlight
Yurohime Moonhowl (that one is totally not good)

My Characters
Signatures thanks to the amazing Sookie,Kuraine,
Rongar, Serenith and Me!
"Follow my heart, Follow my head, I'll follow anything to get to her heart."
12 hunters and 10 other classes being leveled.

Taaveti
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: TW-Shadowmoon

Unread post by Taaveti »

Remind me of the special surnames you get from GM events.
Sure I'd love a name like Verduran the Rising Sun... but all I got was 'the Faydark Gatherer'...
Anyway, it was still fun to have it around, especially when my char can't even forage @

Another incident was when one of my fellow guildmate's account got hacked, the hacker dyed all of his plate armors pink and changed his surname to 'Cutebear Pinkypants', too bad he was stuck with the surname for the next few days until he could change it.
Last edited by Taaveti on Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.